Installation Problem (Free HD DVR Upgrade)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejdowden

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
I am one of the people who got a free HD DVR upgrade for being a ST subscriber. The Installer came yesterday to install my new 3 LNB dish and the HD DVR. My current setup is a dual LNB dish with the 2 lines running to a 3x4 multiswitch then I run 2 lines to my SD DVR and the other 2 to regular receivers. So I was thinking this should be simple swap the dish out, get the new dish aimed and the new HD DVR set up with the 2 lines and I would do the rest later.

The problem was after he got my old dish down and the new dish up, he realized there was a tree in the way. I did not realized the new dish has both a different azimuth and elevation ;(. The installer said there was nothing he could do unless I wanted to pay him for a new install which "would not be cheap". So he put my old dish back up and left. He would not leave me the new dish and HD DVR for me to install myself.

I still want the free offer and am willing to do it all myself. I am going to call D* and tell them what happened and see if they will ship me the new dish and receiver directly.

My only question is since they are sending me a 3LNB dish and I need to move it, could someone tell me the coordinates for the 5 LNB dish for zip code 27516. I would like to try to put the 3LNB dish at a location where the 5 could also go when I finally upgrade to mpeg4 sometime next year.

I would try to get the 5 LNB dish now to prepair for when you can upgrade to MPEG4. When they installed my AT9 dish they did the move of the dish and a pole mount installation at no additional costs. I would prefer to have the come out one time for an extended period instead of twice for the 3LNB and then again once you upgrade.

That is a good point, however, I thik I would rather take my chances and get the slimeline dish when it comes out. The current 5 LNB dish just seems to be too big for its own good.

ejdowden said:
That is a good point, however, I thik I would rather take my chances and get the slimeline dish when it comes out. The current 5 LNB dish just seems to be too big for its own good.
Since December all HDTV installs are supposed to be done with the AT9 dish, even by Directv themselves. You should be getting the AT9 not the Phase 3. The new "slimline" dish will still be the same basic size just countured to look smaller. Your HR10-250 will be upgraded to the HR20-250 and you will need the Ka signals. Argue with Directv to get what you need now.:)

boba said:
Since December all HDTV installs are supposed to be done with the AT9 dish, even by Directv themselves. You should be getting the AT9 not the Phase 3. The new "slimline" dish will still be the same basic size just countured to look smaller. Your HR10-250 will be upgraded to the HR20-250 and you will need the Ka signals. Argue with Directv to get what you need now.:)

That is not true

boba said:

I can confirm this - I had HI-DEF and a HR10-250 installed last Friday and the installer didnt install a AT9. When i was talking to a CSR she asked why they didnt, then told me they would send them back out to do it. I didnt ask for it, but i'll take it because the LNB on my dish have baking in the sun for 3 south florida years---

If the AT9 isn't on the workorder you will not get it. D* has to put it on the workorder. All the stuff that being repeated around here is half truths.

Thanks everyone for the good discussion. But I figure no biggie on the 3LNB and HR10-250 since eventually I will need to upgrade to the HR20-250 and hopefully at that time get a less heavy slimline dish. But either way, can someone please provide me the Azimuth, elevation and any other 5lnb settings for zip code 27516?

Thanks...

ejdowden said:
Thanks everyone for the good discussion. But I figure no biggie on the 3LNB and HR10-250 since eventually I will need to upgrade to the HR20-250 and hopefully at that time get a less heavy slimline dish. But either way, can someone please provide me the Azimuth, elevation and any other 5lnb settings for zip code 27516?

Thanks...
AZ 225
elevation 45 tilt 62

Thanks for the information. Its amazing to me that they keep changing the settings.

For my Dual LNB it was Elevation of 42.6 at 223.3

The 3LNB is Elevation of 37.3 at 234.5 Tilt 54.2

Thanks again

The satellite's and the settings don't change really. What happens is when you get a new dish with added LNBs the dish has changed so that with that one dish all the satellites signals can all reflect correctly into the LNB head(s). Thus the overall coordinates seem to change so that you can now are "centered and skewed" to see all 5 at once as opposed to three, even though no satellite or its relative coordinates has moved.

The part about the 3lnb is true - now when I originally spoke with D* - the CSR said that it shouldn't be a problem to get a 5lnb. Well, tech showed up with a three. I called D* back and also ended up with the 5lnb, and a free H20 upgrade as well (as well as a switch)

I was also lucky with Ironwood (thank god) and the tech was willing to just drop off all of the equiptment with me, so I did it all as a self install (I need to remount the dish when I get back from vacation though)

I just called D* and told them about my installation experience last Friday. I had to speak to a supervisor but I got the HD DVR, 5lnb dish, a H20, and four free months of HD programming and she confirmed that the installer should have moved my dish. His work order was not to only do a dish replacement but move it if needed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts