Installation quesstion!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Kentucky
I have a question about the HD DVR plus and need some of you tech experts advice.

I am thinking about upgrading my H20-600 to the new HD DVR Plus model, and I understand since it has the capability 2 record 2 channels and or watch one while recording another feature this requires running another line in from the dish.

I have to pay an installer 50 bucks for this according to Direct and or I could do it myself, but I don't really want to run another line in either way unless I have to.

My question is once the system is activated could I not attach a splitter to the main line in and then run 2 lines from the splitter to the reciever to the 2 satellite input connections?

Thanks in advance on any advice!

Eddie's right... to a degree. You absolutely CANNOT use a splitter for D* receivers regardless. On the other hand, if you don't wanna pay to have the line ran, and you don't wanna do it yourself... you could leave just the one cable from the wall-jack running in the Sat 1 tuner. Only problem with that is you'll only be able to record 1 program at once. And, if you're watching TV at the time, you'll also have to WATCH what's being recorded. It's a matter of priorities, and if the 2nd tuner features aren't important to you, then leave it as is :D

I thought that when you upgraded to the DVR part of the installation was to run a second line at no additional charge.

The only party he should be getting charged from is DirecTv, not the actual installer unless there is custom work involved such as a wall fish or something like that.

Of course, there's always the potential problem that the HD DVR is located in a part of the house where getting the second line in is a considerable problem. Luckily my unit is in my theater which is upstairs so fishing another line from the attic was a 5 minute job. If I'd gone with the family room I'd been toast as it's in the middle (no outside wall) of the downstairs and no basement or crawl space.

D says there is a charge!

CSR I spoke too says there is an installation fee for running the second line which is all thier doing as the satellite is already installed.

The CSR told me if I just bought it at BB and called to activate it the installation charge price would be included but according a rep. at BB that isn't true as I would have to call Direct to activate after purchase and schedule an installl and would be charged 50 bucks by Direct and not to mention sign another 2 yr commitment for the pleasure of upgrading.

Blah!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts