Installation Question....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hammond22

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I'm very confused. A younger guy came out to install a 5lnb dish with a HR20 from DTV I previsouly ordered along with a standard reveiver this morning. I let him do his thing, but I noticed when he started setting up the receiver he selcted the 3lnb dish as opposed to the 5 lnb dish.

I asked him what dish he put up and he told me it was a 5lnb. There are two dishes on the house. It appears one dish has 3lnb's and the other just has 1. I went in and switched the receiver to the 5 lnb option and it only found 3 satellites.

Did I get screwed here? He installed BBCs and seemed to think I was all set for the new HD. I didn't even think they were installing 3lnbs anymore? Cna someone try and clear this up for me? Thanks....

How big is the dish? Does it say slimline? If you got an HD receiver of any kind you should have received the 5 LNB dish. Are you not getting a channel you should be?

It does say slimline and it is a larger Dish. The thing throwing me is that I see only 3 LNBs connected to it. Again, he also installed a sperate smaller dish with 1 lnb. Under the Setup instructions for the receiver he used the 3lnb settings. Is there a channel I could go to that would only work with a 5lnb set-up?

It does say slimline and it is a larger Dish. The thing throwing me is that I see only 3 LNBs connected to it. Again, he also installed a sperate smaller dish with 1 lnb. Under the Setup instructions for the receiver he used the 3lnb settings. Is there a channel I could go to that would only work with a 5lnb set-up?

It sounds like you got the 5 lnb set up (the Slimline) it points at all 5 sats but only has 3 lnb's on it, if you were to go up and look at it you would see that there are 3 sats assigned to one part and 2 to the other part, on the older AT-9's it was listed on the lnb itself, I don't have a slimline to look at.

The extra dish is probably so you can pick up the locals thru D*.

btw, :welcome to the site !

Jimbo

The other thing to consider is which receiver you're talking about. If it is the SD receiver, there is no option to select a 5LNB dish because it doesn't matter. SD receivers treat the HD dish as a 3 LNB dish.

Thanks Guys. I called up D* and it's pretty much what Jimbo was talking about. I hope. Some of the lnbs must pick up multiple sats.

We had the HR20 do the 5lnb set-up and it checked for 5 sats and it found 5 out of 7, which I thought was odd. The tech said the other two were not showing up because HD locals were not available in my area (Boise, ID).

The other smaller roundh dish must be for the standard locals. So I hope I'm in the clear and ready for the new HD channels when they arrive. I do have the correct multi-switch.

On a slightly humorous note, my SuperDish had to be taken down to put the slimline up. I go out after the installer left and their are literally hundreds of bees swarming around. I guess they had nested in the LNB housing of the SuperDish as a small crack was left opened during install. I can just imagine what the D* installers face looked like as he started removing that Dish from the house! The funny part is that the installer didn't say a word about it.

HD Newbie Installation Question

Oops, clicked on 'New Reply' instead of 'New Thread'. Sorry about that.

I am going to install HD Direct TV myself. I have successfully installed Direct TV sats plenty of time, just not HD.

I have a large Direct tv dish with 3 lnb's on it. There's 4 coaxial connection to it.

Do I just connect one of the coaxial straight to the reciever? Or, do I need to connect all 4 to a switch.

I am only going to use it for one room in the house.

I heard you only need to run one of the four coaxial in because the rest is for if you are using multiple receivers. Is this correct?

First of all, if you are installing HD yourself you need to ensure that you are using the 5 LNB dish. It should say Slimline on it, or it should say "Integrated Ka/Ku LNB" on the LNB assembly.

As far as running the cables go, if you are only using one receiver, then you do not need to use a multiswitch. Just run as many cables from the LNB assembly as you have satellite inputs on the back of the receiver.

First of all, if you are installing HD yourself you need to ensure that you are using the 5 LNB dish. It should say Slimline on it, or it should say "Integrated Ka/Ku LNB" on the LNB assembly.

As far as running the cables go, if you are only using one receiver, then you do not need to use a multiswitch. Just run as many cables from the LNB assembly as you have satellite inputs on the back of the receiver.

One of his other 4 posts is about buying a HR20 on line and it not working. He would need 2 lines and a lot of luck from his experience level.:):):)

Status
Please reply by conversation.