Installation Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kevin1514

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Seattle
Hi, I am going to be ordering D* for my grandparents but need some questions answered about installation.

The previous owners of their house ran all of the coax in the attic so Comcast put the splitter in the attic. Will a DirecTV installer run the cable from dish through the attic and install a switch where the current splitter is? All the installs in my area have been done running the coax on the exterior of the house so I wasn't sure if they will work in an attic.

Also I was curious if there is any kind of protection plan that will protect them if a bad windstorm rips the dish of their house. Last winter part of their roof was blown off, so I am worried about their dish coming off.

Thanks for any answers.

Hi, I am going to be ordering D* for my grandparents but need some questions answered about installation.

The previous owners of their house ran all of the coax in the attic so Comcast put the splitter in the attic. Will a DirecTV installer run the cable from dish through the attic and install a switch where the current splitter is? All the installs in my area have been done running the coax on the exterior of the house so I wasn't sure if they will work in an attic.

Also I was curious if there is any kind of protection plan that will protect them if a bad windstorm rips the dish of their house. Last winter part of their roof was blown off, so I am worried about their dish coming off.

Thanks for any answers.

1) It's hard to say what the installer will do without actually being there. Most would probably prefer to use pre-existing cable runs provided it meets specs and there are no problems with it. That being said, is there only one splitter in the house? If not, than he most likely won't be able to use the existing cable.

2) Yes, DirecTV offers a Protection Plan for an additional $5.99/month. This plan covers just about everything but you taking a baseball bat to your system.

Thanks for any answers.

MORE INFO NEEDED.

How many receivers do you plan.....any recorders?...............HD? The sytem should be gronuded...... which means the four lines from the Ka/Ku dish will run from your the dish to a ground block (maybe wb 6x8 multiswitch) and then back to your feed lines.

Then connect to the existing wire........bypass analog splitters or wait for the SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch).

It goes like that. Report back how the tech does.

Joe

MORE INFO NEEDED.

How many receivers do you plan.....any recorders?...............HD? The sytem should be gronuded...... which means the four lines from the Ka/Ku dish will run from your the dish to a ground block (maybe wb 6x8 multiswitch) and then back to your feed lines.

Then connect to the existing wire........bypass analog splitters or wait for the SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch).

It goes like that. Report back how the tech does.

Joe

There will be two SD regular receivers. There is pre-existing cable that runs to the current digital cable boxes. I just need about 20 feet of coax run from where the dish will go to where the coax lines meet. I would assume you would put the switch where the two lines go into the splitter right now.

There will be two SD regular receivers. There is pre-existing cable that runs to the current digital cable boxes. I just need about 20 feet of coax run from where the dish will go to where the coax lines meet. I would assume you would put the switch where the two lines go into the splitter right now.

If your tech's worth his salt, then he could put in a second ground block in the attic to tie into the existing cabling. The ground block used for grounding should be outside of the house because he's limited in how far he can run the ground wire to the ground point.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts