Installation Wizard

edtorious

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
San Diego, CA
Hello, I need help. :eek: I was just checking my voom settings and I usually check the installation wizard thru the installer menu once in awhile to do the verify voom check to see if the receiver will force update the software. But yesterday when I tried to access it, the screen just flicker and it took me back to the voom guide menu?! :what I tried it again but to no avail it keeps taking me back to voom guide menu. :confused: I tried rebooting the stb, soft and hard way ;) but still it didn't work. :confused: Should I unplug the power to the stb? Will that do anything? I haven't tried that. I'll wait for suggestions from you guys before I do that. :wave

I called voom tech and the only solution they can come up with is to replace my stb, :rolleyes: they said they haven't encountered that problem before :rolleyes: and I asked could it be the stb is receiving software updates, :eureka but the csr tech said no and that my stb's software version is up to date w/c I think so too at version 7.33, unless I'm one of the people getting the 7.37 upgrade w/c the crs tech didn't think so, :no I checked to see if I'm targeted but no, so I have a scheduled swap on 2/26. !protest

My only worry !sadroll is that I have a scheduled upgrade install of my OTA antenna so I can get more of the local channels that I didn't get the first time they install voom. But I think if they upgrade my OTA antenna, the tech has to go to installation wizard menu to re-scan local channels in my area right? But since the installation wizard is inaccesible so it's useless to install my upgrade OTA antenna. Should I cancel that appointment and wait till I get the replacement stb? :( I maybe wrong about these but if they install my upgrade OTA antenna will the stb automatically display and/or add local channels that I don't have before even w/o rescanning local channels thru installation wizard? :what Does this problem has to do w/ the weather we're having here in San Diego, California? My signal :rainbow is pretty good :clap considering the weather, satellite or local channel wise.

And also what if suddenly the installation wizard came back :yikes and it's working even before I get my replacement stb. Do you think it would be a good idea to keep my current stb? Is my current stb considered defective w/ this problem? Should I go ahead and take the replacement stb? :shh What do you think guys? Your help or advice will be greatly appreciated. :wave Thank you. :bow

i had this problem too. so you are not the first. they replaced my box and that solved the problem. you should probably wait until you get yours replaced before you get your upgraded antenna. maybe if you called them they could schedule them at the same time.

edtorious, I am familiar with this problem and I know how to fix it. You have fallen to the Dreaded Wizard Trap! ;) I'll show you the way out.

Caution: this procedure will require time and patience. It may take up to an hour during which time I strongly recommend not to touch your remote except when required and not switch channels. So, make sure to do this when you have enough time (and nothing interesting to watch). Also, only do this when the satellite signal is strong and stable.

1. Switch to channel 100, unplug the STB for several minutes and then plug it in again. Leave it alone (on channel 100) for 10-20 minutes. See if that fixes the problem. Most likely it won't.

2. Make sure to remove the parental lock if you have it enabled.

3. Do the Factory Reset procedure (as described in the FAQ). Basically you need to access a hidden System Configuration Menu by entering "9 8 8" in the Installer Menu. Factory Reset is one of the options in that hidden menu.

4. After the factory reset is complete your STB configuration will be completely erased. This includes your authorization data and your OTA and satellite maps. Give the box a few minutes (it will take you straight to the Installation Wizard menu).

5. Follow the on-screen instructions. You will most likely end up with a black screen and a message saying that your box is not authorized.

6. Call VOOM and ask them to re-authorize your box. (You can tell them that you had to do the Factory Reset). It may take your box several minutes to re-aquire the authorization data, OTA and satellite maps, etc. Make sure you are on channel 100 and wait for HDN to appear.

7. If you are still getting black screen and a message on channel 100 after 20 minutes, call VOOM again and ask them to repeat the authorization procedure. (Most likely you won't have to do this.)

8. Once HDN appears, leave your STB on channel 100 for another 20 minutes or so. It's better not to switch channels. At this point all your maps will be messed up. Some channels could be missing, strange channel numbers may appear in the list (e.g. 0.1, 0.8), even the clock may show wrong time. Don't worry, everything will get back to normal after some time.

9. Once all channel names and numbers are loaded correctly and once the first 6 hours of Program Guide show up, go back to the Installation Wizard (it should work now) and do a channel scan for your locals.

The above procedure is the only known way of solving your problem, short of replacing the box. Good luck!

Thanks Ilya, :bow problem solved by doing factory reset. But I'll probably wait a few more days before I cancel the replacement stb they are sending, they're not scheduled to come in 2 weeks anyway :shh . The voom techs should be familiar w/ this procedure instead of sending us replacement stb w/c is a waste of everybody's time. But thanks again. :bow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)