Installation

Littleyog

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
I just received my installation yesterday and I had a question for you all. I received a 622 and a 211 receiver. He didn't bring any component cables or HDMI cables, wouldn't you think they would give me something to hook up my HD TV's?

Also my installation took 5 and a half hours to finish, is this normal, plus I was quite upset when he told me he was going to have to run wires down the back of my house and into my basement through my double doors and than ran cable wire all over my wall. I don't understand how he wouldn't be able to run wires through the house. Needless to say I am not too happy with Dish Network right now especially since I have 18 more months with them.

I was just wondering if this is typical or if I just got an inexperienced installation person. Please let me know!

Thanks and I really enjoy reading your comments in this forum.

They didn't bring any cables for me neither. Luckily I had a few laying around because I had a feeling they wouldn't bring any. Others on the site have said they did get the cables. Its hit and miss.

As for the install, sounds like the guy was being lazy. They don't have to do run the cables in your walls with their free install. Or maybe its only one run....who knows. Sometimes its better to just pre-run the cable yourself and let him worry about getting the dish up.

I'd call Dish and complain. They may send someone else out to fix up this guys mess.

Yeah I have called and complained, they are going to send someone out to try and fix it this weekend, but I just wish I would have known I needed to run wires before hand, especially since it is a new house and I just recently painted that room. I mean I absolutely hate service from Comcast, Cox, etc, but at least they would not have wires running all along my walls!

Also Redwing, if they didn't bring you cables you should call and complain also, they are sending component cables back to me, which I already had some HDMI cables, but I can use the extra component cables for my progressive scan DVD's.

I've had my 622 for a few months, so I don't know what complaining about it now would get me. Plus, the experiences i've had on the phone with these people is not worth a $8 cable to me. I'll just keep my complaints to myself for now and they'll lose me as a customer once FIOS TV offers the NHL Package.

these cables are not included in the boxes the receivers come in, these cost the company money so maybe his company does not want to supply them, why lose money on your free installs. I do not supply them free myself. I charge the customer for them at cost.

I just received my installation yesterday and I had a question for you all. I received a 622 and a 211 receiver. He didn't bring any component cables or HDMI cables, wouldn't you think they would give me something to hook up my HD TV's?

Also my installation took 5 and a half hours to finish, is this normal, plus I was quite upset when he told me he was going to have to run wires down the back of my house and into my basement through my double doors and than ran cable wire all over my wall. I don't understand how he wouldn't be able to run wires through the house. Needless to say I am not too happy with Dish Network right now especially since I have 18 more months with them.

I was just wondering if this is typical or if I just got an inexperienced installation person. Please let me know!

Install time will vary on every job, some are easy cheesey while others will take a long time, its all based on the house layout and the line of site to name a few things. He should have brought out the component cables, dish includes them seperately from the boxes and is an included part for the install / upgrade.

Littleyog you have a three day grace period by law from the time you sign a contract to bow out of it before your legaly bound to the terms and conditions of said contract, by the time this weekend rolls around you will be into the terms of the contract, I would call back and ask to talk to someone in the executive office about this to see if you have any recourse for cancelling this weekend if things are not fixed to your satisfaction, be sure to get the reps name and his/her operator ID as well to have something to back you up incase said rep fails to put in notes on to your account for any promises they make.

these cables are not included in the boxes the receivers come in, these cost the company money so maybe his company does not want to supply them, why lose money on your free installs. I do not supply them free myself. I charge the customer for them at cost.
If his company is not including them then either they arent being sent them or they are selling them when they shouldnt, if your not getting them along with your hd receiver shipments papalittle then you should contact your dish rep to find out why.

Van, Thanks so much for the information, I will call Dish today and see if I can get an extension on cancelling my contract if I am unsatisfied by this weekend.

Also, unless the promo has ended, the installs have been backed by a 30-day Money Back Guarantee so one can cancel if they choose...if this is still the case, then use it to your advanced by threatening to cancel if the wrongs aren't righted. Some of us (yes, I'm a subcontractor of 9 years) take pride and want it done right; I ALWAYS spend some time with the customer on a walk-through before I start to explain exactly what I'll do regarding mounting, drilling, etc... But not are all so thorough. As I tell most people when on a service call of this type, for me this is my profession and livelyhood whereas for others it's just a quick dollor to get them through the rough spots.

As for the cables, as already said, the cables don't come in the boxes (yet) but are shipped seperately. I'd hope the cables are eventually put in the boxes (kinda like the DPP Seperators were shipped seperately at first before being packaged with the dual tuners). I suspect this has been partly due to the HDMI port only working half the time! They say the problem is fixed, but I just installed a 622 a few days ago with the HDMI port "blinking" the image on the TV in and out every few seconds. Naturally, I didn't have a spare and had to return with another to correct the problem. I could have RA'd a new one from Dish to the customer, but again, this goes back to pride in ones jobs (yes, I normally carry spare everything, but it was the last one I had in stock - fortunately, we have gotten a shipment around lunch that day, so there was little inconvenience for the customer).

Complain until it's right...

Sorry you got a bad install and no component cable's but you were suppose to get the component cable's they come with the 622, and as far as your install I believe you got a crappy contractor. What I would do is call dishnetwork and find out who the contractor that they used to do your installation and tell them that they did a crappy job. Dish wants to know about all the bad installs so if they have to they will change contractors. It is not all dishnetworks fault. If you don't call and let them know about how the contractors did, then they will think everthing went well.;)

You guys amaze me, the HD receivers don't come with any component or HDMI cables. So when you say the Tech should have brought some is a joke, whats he going to buy them ( I think not ). It is the customers responsibility to provide their own cables and thats the bottom line when it comes to dish. Dishes view on this is like this, since the customer has an HD tv, it probally came with cables, which a lot don't. But just cuz dish does not supply the cables, its not us techs job to provide them at our cost.

My 2 cents

Not providing the cables to properly hook up the HD receiver and saying the customer should provide them to me is a bit ridiculous.
That's like asking the customer to provide their own remote.

It sounds like it's a Dish/Tech problem, not a customer problem.

If the guy that put my Dish in said, "Ok, almost done, now where are your component cables to hook this up" I'd start laughing uncontrollably.

cloverboy

Bottom line is, is that if Dish does not provide the cables, the tech does not have any to offer. Open up a brand new 622 receiver, you won't see any HD cables because dish does not include them. So laugh all you want or get pissed all you want, either way I could care less. I do installs based off of the equipment provided from dish, since cables are not included, the customer eats that charge cuz I don't as a tech nor will I ever. You think for one minuet that dish would even think of reinbursing us techs for cables if we decided to buy them, let me start laughing now cuz dish could care less about us techs nor will they pay us back. Hell I'll go even as far to say that there is no system in place to reinburse techs for anything even if we tried.

Bottom line is, is that if Dish does not provide the cables, the tech does not have any to offer. Open up a brand new 622 receiver, you won't see any HD cables because dish does not include them. So laugh all you want or get pissed all you want, either way I could care less. I do installs based off of the equipment provided from dish, since cables are not included, the customer eats that charge cuz I don't as a tech nor will I ever. You think for one minuet that dish would even think of reinbursing us techs for cables if we decided to buy them, let me start laughing now cuz dish could care less about us techs nor will they pay us back. Hell I'll go even as far to say that there is no system in place to reinburse techs for anything even if we tried.

Well its obvious you only install satellite systems to make a buck. You don't show pride in your work and don't care if you leave a customer without a satisfactory install. Leaving a customer without a component/HDMI cable is a bad install.

Most customers expect those cables to be there. When you buy a DVD player, new TV, and many other electronics, the proper cables are supplied. Its been like that for years. Maybe DISH needs to inform their new installs/upgrade customers that they will have to provide their own cables beforehand.

You say that you provide an install based on what equipment is supplied. I find that hard to believe. Does DISH give you a ladder? Do they supply the van you drive? How about cable ties? Etc. Whoever provides those things, should also provide the cables. And for $7 a cable, I wouldn't want to take a risk at getting negative feedback that could effect your job. But then again....I don't think you take much pride in your job anyway.

Cheers

"You say that you provide an install based on what equipment is supplied. I find that hard to believe. Does DISH give you a ladder? Do they supply the van you drive? How about cable ties? Etc. Whoever provides those things, should also provide the cables. And for $7 a cable, I wouldn't want to take a risk at getting negative feedback that could effect your job. But then again....I don't think you take much pride in your job anyway.

Cheers"

I do supply HDMI cables (direct tv's) but at 6.oo and if they want componant cables they are 10.00. I make 75.00 per install, use my van, my gas, my insurances, etc. I can not afford to give them away.

Order comcast HD, what's the chances of them providing HDMI cables? I've never seen it when I spent some time working for them. It was common to hook up with a 6' RG6 jumper. Eat your heart out.

Here's one... why is it some customer's expect the DISH installer to hook up their surround sound system, DVD player, etc... AND move their tv/furniture around while the customer demands things such as no holes drilled, go into their 1' tall crawlspace that is nothing more then a mud pit along with I want you to get out your 40' ladder and put the dish way up at the top at the peak of my 3 story house because the better half doesn't want to see the dish.

Not all people are like that, nor does that really reflect whether or not HDMI/Componet cables being delivered on installs, but the fact is alot of this stuff should be covered during the walk through, an experienced take should know better to lay the cards out of the table before any work is performed, and so should the power user customer who knows more then the tech does.

Thats great that some will supply customer cables at the exspense of the tech doing the install. I will never do that and heres why. Lets say I do a three room 622, 311 hookup. I only get paid 60 bucks for that install, so am I going to go out and shell the mulla for cables and go negative on what I make, (mabey when hell freezes over and satan gives free sled rides). But in the mean time, if dish does not provide the cables, the customer is responsible for providing them and thats bottom line. I refuse to make nothing on a potential 5 hour install just to be nice, don't get me wrong, I'm a really decent guy, but I have to put food on my table for my family.

You guys amaze me, the HD receivers don't come with any component or HDMI cables. So when you say the Tech should have brought some is a joke, whats he going to buy them ( I think not ). It is the customers responsibility to provide their own cables and thats the bottom line when it comes to dish. Dishes view on this is like this, since the customer has an HD tv, it probally came with cables, which a lot don't. But just cuz dish does not supply the cables, its not us techs job to provide them at our cost.

That is 100% incorrect. Dish supplies component and hdmi cables for 211 and 622 installs. If it doesnt get brought to the customers house it is either because the technician is selling them on the side or their warehouse cant keep their inventory up. I have never done a job that i didnt have the cables for.

The truth is Dish Network reimburses the company that installs the system for the cables used. Dish wants you to use HDMI if customers TV is compatible if not then component. Now the real question is, do you really want to use that kind of quality of cable? Trust me the cables provided from dish are not anything worth getting excited about!

Another 2 cents

I think that HDMI cables are a luxury, I'll agree to that. But, a component cable is pretty basic and the basic necessity to hook up an HD receiver. As a customer, I've never had to supply cables for cable tv, or for the Dish.

If the customer says sorry, I dont have any component cables. Do you say, "Well, funny thing, but I just happen to have a set here, and for a low, low price of....I can finish installing this and I can make sure your HD is working." I'd laugh.

If Dish nickels and dimes the techs, and you make next to nothing on installs, then why do it????

cloverboy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)