Installer bringing a 625, but I want OTA HD

zydeco100

Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Hi there, sorry if this is duplicating any previous conversations but I've just been a part-time lurker until recently.

I've owned Dish in the past but I'm getting a new installation ordered for my new home. At the moment all I have are SD televisions, but will probably have at least one HD panel before the year is out.

I placed a service order from Dish and the confirmation message says they're bring a 625 DVR. I really want the 2nd room capability, BUT I'd also like to be able to watch ATSC OTA content (my kid is hooked on one of the secondary PBS channels).

I'm starting to realize this isn't the right DVR for me. Should I call back and ask them to bring a HD receiver? Can I get OTA HD without paying for the HD service? If anyone can suggest the better way to go, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

You can get OTA digital with an antenna and a converter box or TV with digital tuner. Dish Net doesn't provide OTA (they do provide locals but not PBS). OTA means off-the-air which implies an antenna.
The VIP622/722 DVRs have a digital tuner so you can integrate OTA with the Dish receiver. If you get HD service, you will have to pay for it.
www.antennaweb.org and www.tvfool.com both provide OTA info based on your address.

I think you still can get a 622 or 722 without the HD package but it's silly because you will have to pay $7.00 extra for not subscribing to the HD package with a ViP receiver. For only $3.00 more you get the HD package.

Yeah, I guess I need to clarify. I'm watching OTA HD with an external box at the moment (DigitalSpectrum model, pretty good BTW).

I'd like to be able to record OTA HD on my future Dish box, even if it's downconverted to SD. I realize the SD DVRs can't do this, so it looks like I'll have to request an HD box. Might as well take the leap now, I guess...

Yeah, I guess I need to clarify. I'm watching OTA HD with an external box at the moment (DigitalSpectrum model, pretty good BTW).

I'd like to be able to record OTA HD on my future Dish box, even if it's downconverted to SD. I realize the SD DVRs can't do this, so it looks like I'll have to request an HD box. Might as well take the leap now, I guess...

Yeah. Call to modify your order ASAP. Unless the technician that comes out is a Dish internal tech, it's unlikely you will be able to have the work order modified the day he comes out. And that's only if he has the equipment. If it's a subcontractor, it's not likely he'll have anything but what's on the order.

You'll need to subscribe to locals from Dish to get program guide info for your OTA channels. If you dont subscribe to locals from Dish, the program guide will say "Digital Service", rather than the correct program name. Also keep in mind that Dish does not necessarily provide program info on every digital subchannel in a given DMA - they may, or they may not. My PBS subchannel listed the same programs that were on the main PBS channel for many months after PBS launched their 'Create' subchannel, but the subchannel guide data is now correct. My CBS affiliate added an 'RTN' subchannel a few months ago, but the guide still says "Digital Service".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)