Installer charging for in ground installation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lefatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Selbyville DE
I recently had a friend use me as his reference for D*.Everything went fine and they did his installation a day after he called in the order.I saw him this afternoon and he said that the installer charged him an extra $75 for in in ground installation. I told him to call D* and complain that this was not the price he was quoted.To make matters worse,the installer had him make the check out to him personally. Does this seem normal ?

Ground installs are not 'normal' installations and the installer can charge more for them, the free installs are the roof mounts. I also don't see any problem with having the check made out to the installer directly in this case and $75 is a reasonable amount.

Ground installs are not 'normal' installations and the installer can charge more for them, the free installs are the roof mounts. I also don't see any problem with having the check made out to the installer directly in this case and $75 is a reasonable amount.

I see lots of problems with this ....
First of all, D* determined to place dishes on your roof, unless you ask for otherwise, now I've heard that they are no longer doing roof mounts, due to , to many complaints about roof repairs .....

Personally I would NEVER allow a roof mount.

As for the $ 75 , yes thats reasonable, but what is NOT is that it sounds like the OP was not informed of this ahead of time.

Also, making out a check to the guy personally, not the company he works for ?
I would not think that would be right, would kinda be like the guy stealing from his companies profits.

Jimbo

Subs do that, and a few small retailers, the guy that owns it also installs. I know of a couple around here that are like that. Also $75 bucks ain't bad these days for a pole mount.

I see lots of problems with this ....
First of all, D* determined to place dishes on your roof, unless you ask for otherwise, now I've heard that they are no longer doing roof mounts, due to , to many complaints about roof repairs .....

Neighbor behind me just had a new Slimline installed on the roof (next to his disconnected Dish dish) so at least down here they're still doing roof installs.

Neighbor behind me just had a new Slimline installed on the roof (next to his disconnected Dish dish) so at least down here they're still doing roof installs.

I've seen them both ways up here , thought I had read somewhere that they were changing due to insurance issues.

a roof mount is perfered by direct. most support for the dish(if it is installed correctly) this is where the problems come in. some techs are lazy, and hate to bring out the ladder. on the other hand i would much rather do a pole mount, its easier and faster. from what i remember from we were told in a tech meeting a few months ago, direct does not allow charging for ka/ku pole mounts unless the customer requests it and has other install options

Thisd is always a murkey subject!

DTV does advertise a FREE installation BUT the basic FREE installation is not much to look at. The equipment works and the customer is watching DTV at the end. All cosmetic work is "custom"work like hiding wire and putting the dish on anything but the structure. (in summary)

The equipment has become more complex than "legacy" installations.
DTV has brought the installation work within their HSP (Home Service Provider) system.
There is a high turnover rate with personnel.....you get newbies.
Some HSP managers instruct :custom" work to be done for free....free poles, free phone
connections, free Sunday installations etc.

So it is confusing!

Customers should know about anything not FREE before the work begins so they can cancel the installation if they do not want to pay for the additional items.

Techs have different capabilities........some can work wonders and some will never get it.

Roll of the dice.

Joe

I think it is fair, its better than paying for it by the hour. I guess I would of charged 59 dollars an hour. Custom work is extra and I think pole mounts are custom work. I don't like busting out the ladder either, but the roof overhang is the only place I will mount. Never ever drill into a roof within the living space under the roof, thats just my thought. I try and do what I would do if it were my place. As for pole mounts they definitely are not free. They take time to do it properly.

Last edited:
They are not included in a standard install. There are now and have been for as long as I can remember standards out there for what is included and what is not included in a free install. (remember this is only free to the subscriber, everybody else in this transaction is trying to put groceries on the table). Hop in your car, run down to HD, Menards, or Lowes,, buy a pole, concrete, tools, and the extra length of cable required. Then spend the time required to survey the site to make sure it will work (If it doesn't you don't just lose the cost of your materials and labor for the pole, but also your time, materials, labor, and vehicle expenses for the whole job). Add the extra time required to explain/educate a customer about the Clark belt, satellites, and why you can't see sunlight through trees. (Remember time is money and your spending someone else's), spend however long you want trenching it across your lawn, add up the money you have put out and the time you have spent x your current rate of pay and decide for your self if it is worth it. I have been doing this stuff for a living for a long time. If the installer is telling you he will do it for $75 he is desperate for work, I suggest taking advantage of his situation. I am a very experienced installer, tv, internet, commercial, etc. I am the man you all want to show up when you want your system installed. When I show up at your house and you start telling me that I should dig in your dirt but still try to low ball me on the worth of my labor you will get what you ask for. Do you want a tech or a ditch digger?

Problem is no one wants to spell out what is free on the phone.. the answer is usually "No problem" which is misleading... According to D* Free means...

Installing the Dish to the Home (roof or side of the structure under 26')
Insertion of cable through 1 floor and 1 wall
Education on using the system
Hooking up to a phone line within 25'
Explain any and all work before starting.
Clean up after install
Ground system
Up to 125' of cable.

Chargeable

-Pole mounts if requested (oh hell no your not puttin that on my roof)
-Pole mounts if cant be placed within 20' of the house and no-los from house (if LOS is out at 150' you will be charged, if its a trailer or tin roof and cant be safely installed in the structure tech will put on a pole within 20's of structure).
-Fishing a Line through the wall into the crawl space (not on a outside wall, charge is per line)
-Fishing a line through the wall to the attic (not on a outside wall, charge is per line)
-Using a ladder over 26' (ie 40 footer)
-Excessive efforts to hide the cable (behind siding or weaved through the gutter system or trenched along the home)
-Removing Daughter for a night on the town so Dad can enjoy his new HDDVR
-Mirroring a TV to show on another TV via Channel 3 (each hook up)
-Convenience Outlet (Can you put a line here too in case I move my room around)
-Pre-wiring a home that is not ready to move into (no walls.. power.. tv's etc.)
-Cable runs over 125'
-Rg11 Runs
-Trenching over 20'
-Extra Multiswitchs

This is all on D* website

Chargeable where you normally would get for free..at the time of the order....but forgot

-Adding a Receiver when the tech arrives (we cant offer discounts)
-Installing an aquired box that is not on the work order (again we cant offer discounts)
-Relocating a dish after its been agreed to be installed (cuz the wife dun like it)
-2nd Dish for Workshop

Now say you order a 4 room with DVR and the sales guy "forgets" the DVR.. the tech will still have to "charge" for the DVR but D* will credit that charge back after its installed.. so if the sales company makes a mistake.. please dont give the tech the second degree.. all its going to do is piss him off and in return piss you off.. he has no clue what your dealings with D* at this point are.. only that his work order says X and you say Y.

Last edited:
"telling you he will do it for $75 he is desperate for work"

Except D* just standardized many of custom rates least for HSP's and the HSP sub-partners..retailers are different I am sure.

$75 for pole and up to 20' of trench
$1.00 a foot up to 150'

Zynergi listed exactly what is included in a standard installation and what is not.

I personally believe installers in general are underpaid and deserve some credit.

Not only the cost of material has increased, but everything else as well. However, the standard fee paid to installers has not increased or kept with inflation, in fact it went down.

Some customers expect their whole house to be wired with coaxial by the installer, with wall plates, etc, for free. The installer's time and labor are valuable. He only gets paid a minimum amount for the standard installation. Anything extra, he is on his own with the customer. Usually installers will have a list of the add ons and what it would cost to do.

Yeah, I just saw the .doc on DTV's new "standard prices". The thing about that is that those are the prices D wants the techs/subs to charge without putting any skin in the game. The only thing stopping them from telling the customer that "everything is free, don't worry, the installer is your indentured servant until you release them" is the fact that they don't pay for any of it and can't find anybody to do it for free. YET!! Believe me when I tell you that you don't want an "installer" that would buy into what they want anywhere near your home and family.

Whats gets me is... IRL example..

I was at this 4 room install with 2 HDDVR's. The lady wanted the dish about 80' from the house behind some shrubs. Didnt want ANY cable to show on the outside, not even the ground oO She wanted all 4 rooms wired in the walls and wanted white cable from the wall to the boxes. All 4 LCD's were mounted, wall plate needed to be behind the TV. When I quoted her the custom charge in upwards of $400 for everything she threw a fit and was hooting and hollaring about how this ad shows FREE install.. waiving it around and dialing D*. I told here I will brb.. called it in and noted the account. Go back in and she is talking to a Plumber that was under the house at the time to do work.. and his words and I quote "From our initial estimate and after a closer inspection..<spits out some chew> it will be another $1200 to do the work" Her answer was undecided and instant.. "Ok not a problem" Needless to say the CSR told me it was included free.. I told her she needs to reschedule I dont work for free and left. Finally someone in managements spells it out for her and she wants me back out to do the work... I refused.

The problem is the word itself FREE.. if D* charged even just $20 to install a majority of this free free free mentality would go away, hell even if they charged a nickle... something isnt free if your paying for it.

Maybe they need to offer a "FREE Non-Professional Install" and a "Charged Professional Install" There are plenty of techs out there that my 5 year old could walk ropes around with the crappy and sloppy work they put out.

Whats gets me is... IRL example..

I was at this 4 room install with 2 HDDVR's. The lady wanted the dish about 80' from the house behind some shrubs. Didnt want ANY cable to show on the outside, not even the ground oO She wanted all 4 rooms wired in the walls and wanted white cable from the wall to the boxes. All 4 LCD's were mounted, wall plate needed to be behind the TV. When I quoted her the custom charge in upwards of $400 for everything she threw a fit and was hooting and hollaring about how this ad shows FREE install.. waiving it around and dialing D*. I told here I will brb.. called it in and noted the account. Go back in and she is talking to a Plumber that was under the house at the time to do work.. and his words and I quote "From our initial estimate and after a closer inspection..<spits out some chew> it will be another $1200 to do the work" Her answer was undecided and instant.. "Ok not a problem" Needless to say the CSR told me it was included free.. I told her she needs to reschedule I dont work for free and left. Finally someone in managements spells it out for her and she wants me back out to do the work... I refused.

The problem is the word itself FREE.. if D* charged even just $20 to install a majority of this free free free mentality would go away, hell even if they charged a nickle... something isnt free if your paying for it.

Maybe they need to offer a "FREE Non-Professional Install" and a "Charged Professional Install" There are plenty of techs out there that my 5 year old could walk ropes around with the crappy and sloppy work they put out.
wow you took the words right out of my mouth... they just dont get it. they think this really is a FREE country

Zynergi, the only thing wrong with your last post was the phrase "I refused!"

Man, you had her by the short ones with the blessing of managment! LOL

naw.. some jobs (even high priced) are not worth it at a certain point, I was done dealing with her.. I ended up picking up 2 service calls and a 2 boxer so I recouped the day. I didnt go back on principle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)