Installer did a boo boo

I've used existing dishes as long as they werent bent or messed up in any way. As far as using used equipment, I get sent out of the shop every day with remanned and used LNB's. If you are leasing your equipment, chances are your receiver(s) are also remanufactured. The dish kits are new on installs, however. But at any rate, I don't see what difference it really makes. When you are getting upgraded, you are, in effect, swapping out dishes, and you really dont need a 500 for that wing dish. But I guess you are the customer, and you are always right. :)

However, if the 300 was really old and crappy looking, I could see your point.

There is a difference between remanufactured and used. A lnb that was installed in 1997 and got reused is not remanufactured is used and any tech that installs it as reman or new should be fired...........

So, was the OP upset about the old dish or the old lnb? Maybe I was mistaken. Did he upgrade from 500 to 1000 and then ask the installer to put the 500 back up and point to 61.5 for free or was it on the work order? I may have just misunderstood the post, we never get workorders for wing dishes for anything other than 61.5 for SkyAngel. If the workorder called for the guy to upgrade and do a wing dish, then maybe he should have gone ahead and put up the old 500. But is that one not considered used because it came off of his house? I don't understand. My new dishes and lnbs get scratched up just by being in the back of my truck all day. A used dish works exactly the same as a new one and is just as good provided that it is not warped and the hardware isnt rusted.

I know the difference between reman and used. I get both from the warehouse everyday. The used ones probably come from upgrades and deinstalls and what not, and Dish has been on us for sending back equipment that wasnt bad. Do you really expect me to demand new or reman lnbs every day? They would just laugh at me.

Whatever, you guys who do every install perfect and make every customer 100% happy are absolutely amazing. Go Supertechs!!!

There is a difference between USED, Remanufactured and New equipment. If your leasing the equipment, its no different than signing up for Cable. The cable company installs used equipment all the time and I don't see anyone complaining about that, so why should they complain when they lease a Dish receiver.

As far as im concerned the installer can bring out whatever type of receiver he wants and as long as its in a presentable condition where there is no obvious scratches or wear and tear. As always the customer should receive a new remote control, manual and cables to connect to their TV.

Installers should not be giving customers USED remotes, I have had to repo alot of equipment over the years and 50% of the time I'll totally trash the remotes, and the other 50% I throw in a big box and I let customers dig through it and buy the remotes for $10 each.

For some reason I have a few Canadian guys who come in and will buy the entire box!

One thing I can never figure out is what some of these people do to their remote controls. I have gotten remotes back that where so oily and stickey I would literally go and wash my hands after touching them!

As far as my business goes, here is how my stuff breaks down that I give to my customers..

DISH 301/311.............100% Remanufactured
DISH 322.....................75% Remanufactured
DISH 625.....................100% New
DISH 622.....................100% New
DISH 211.....................100% New
Dishes..........................90% New, 10% Used (Very good, Excellent Condition)
LNB's............................85% New, 15% Remanufactured
Switches......................100% New

Occasionally I'll install a few used receivers for new customers, but only from customers who cancelled within 3 days. Anything I get back several months down the road I send to Dish to be referbished!

Tech came today with work orders to completly redo the installation. He found that the grounding block that the former installer put in had slid off the roof into the gutter and with water around it much of the time had the stingers on the f fittings all green.
Now after it is all done according to hoyle and I have been given a 2 year warranty of the install my pq is deffinately better and so is the signal strength.
The 1st installer who put the system in in 1997 was the one who put the grounding block on the roof and who knows when it slid into the eve traw. Anyway this tech said he didn;t correct it when he came to change out the dish 300 to the 1000 it was not in his work orders to fix anything that looked suspicus, just splice the new dish 1000 into the old wireing.
Then when I complained about the weak signal on 129, they sent him out to install the 300 for 129, but no insturctions to do anything about the cable in the gutter.

Tech came today with work orders to completly redo the installation. He found that the grounding block that the former installer put in had slid off the roof into the gutter and with water around it much of the time had the stingers on the f fittings all green.
Now after it is all done according to hoyle and I have been given a 2 year warranty of the install my pq is deffinately better and so is the signal strength.
The 1st installer who put the system in in 1997 was the one who put the grounding block on the roof and who knows when it slid into the eve traw. Anyway this tech said he didn;t correct it when he came to change out the dish 300 to the 1000 it was not in his work orders to fix anything that looked suspicus, just splice the new dish 1000 into the old wireing.
Then when I complained about the weak signal on 129, they sent him out to install the 300 for 129, but no insturctions to do anything about the cable in the gutter.

Ok! Now that's where I have a problem with your tech. Granted, it's a royal pain in the ass sometimes when a D1000 or must-carry upgrade is involved. Regardless, it's the technicians JOB to bring whatever system he touches up to current NEC. If the groundblock is "fubar'd", then replace that as well. If said tech has to claim the upgrade as a "re-install" to accomplish this, then so be it. And for the record, NEC states the complete system has to be grounded; cabling...dish...EVERYTHING.

One thing I can never figure out is what some of these people do to their remote controls. I have gotten remotes back that where so oily and stickey I would literally go and wash my hands after touching them!

My favorites are the phones with the Jheri curl juice all over them. Thank god those things went out of style. :eek:

That's garbage..The original tech should have corrected the gnd block issue and installed a new one in the proper place.....We're technically supposed to bring jobs to spec....That is strict interpretation of the rules...There are exceptions but your situation is not one of them....Now some poor shlub is going to get screwed on an install..He won't get paid for a new connect..He will be paid for reinstall which gets about half the money...That is of course if the next guy is a contractor...If it's DNS tech it won't matter..They are paid hourly....In fact all jobs such as yours should be done by DNS techs,IMO....If I got your work order I'd take a walk..It would COST me money to re-do an entire install for the reinstall pay.....AND Dish denies payment for reinstalls on the majority of those jobs..

Too bad the OP deleted his entire post and just left the one liner: "Go ahead and encourage your installer to put in used equiptment and when it doesn;t work right, too bad.."

Stupid thread... :(

Too bad the OP deleted his entire post and just left the one liner: "Go ahead and encourage your installer to put in used equiptment and when it doesn;t work right, too bad.."

Stupid thread... :(
Yeah..itis stupid..This is the first I've heard or read of used EQ installed on new connects....The only time used EQ is involved if it is a dish mover..In that case the customer has their EQ on site..A note..New dish and lnb are always used on Dish movers unless the Customer brings along their dish and lnb..If that EQ is in good working order and the cust ok's it, I'll use it..Otherwise the new stuff goes in..No problem. I have it on my truck anyway...

The problem is that the technician doing the upgrade is not getting paid to re-do your installation. When you have a problem, your going to call 1-800-333-DISH and it will be up to the next guy who comes out to your house to fix!

Its like when I was doing DISH500 upgrades in my area back in 1999 when we just got local channels. I actually got to the point where I refused to do them for anyone who I did not origionally install.

The issue was that, I would do exactly what I was being paid to do. I would go out there and swap out the Dish. I was not my responcibility and it was not my problem to fix the pre-existing crappy installaton.

The problem was that when the system finally did start to have issues, the customer would have my number since I was the last person to touch their installation and they would call me out to fix it for Free saying it was because of the DISH500 Upgrade.

It actually got to the point that I was spending an extra hour re-doing peoples installations on upgrades, just because I was so busy I didn't have time to be bothered when the customer would have issues with their Dish, so I just made sure it was installed properly to avoid the problem.

One day I said to hell with it and I stopped doing upgrades for customers who where not mine completely, because I was so busy installing new customers that I sold myself.

But other than that, but I service everything I sell reguardless of when it was sold. However, a Non-Pay Disconnect will void my warranty. So if you got the service 3 years ago we will still service it, but if you went non-pay disconnect anytime during that 3 years (Which will stop all residual payments) then I do not service for FREE anymore!

There is a difference between remanufactured and used. A lnb that was installed in 1997 and got reused is not remanufactured is used and any tech that installs it as reman or new should be fired...........

Uh duh, I thunk it alweys be good tousa LNB that has tuned to a brawn coler aftr all the yaers in the sun.

Dayso purty.

<<sarcasm off>>

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)