Installer drilled through hot water line! Yipes!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pomona

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 30, 2004
Well, it could have been worse. Luckily my basement is unfinished. Heard drilling outside. He had to make another hole for the second cable. I was on the phone canceling with Direct and the Dish installer came running in stating that he thinks he hit a water line. Sure enough, hot water spilling out on to the bare concrete floors. He had to run to the local big box hardware store to get a fitting. I had to sweep water down a drain and turn on my dehumidifier. I asked him if he reports this incident, he said no, but gave me his card to call him if there were any problems. He never asked me to sign any paper work, is that normal for Dish?

Sounds like he thinks the word for the day is "Deniability."

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

He probably should report it by their rules, but if you're okay with and it's "fixed", it's your call. He's definitely covering his *ss!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If you are all set with the fix, I wouldn't call anyone. If you think there could be further problems then you should let DISH know, but don't wait.

I'm ok with the fix. Dish called for a satisfaction survey, gave mostly high marks - but wanted to document what happened. I told the rep the installer was very nice and everything is working.

To me, it was an accident - most will say one that he could have avoided, then again, in many areas, water lines are NOT located in exterior walls, so he was no doubt surprised too ! In the end, it is easily fixed (as was done) and has no long-term concerns, IMO.

I've messed up things in my own home. It happens. At least is was easily fixed. If it was gonna leak it would have, so case closed.

Reactions: Tampa8
Hopefully this will be a lesson for the installer to check before drilling!

Way back the Bell guy drilled through some electrical in the basement when running in phone lines. Told me it was his fault and they were trained to drill from the side with cabling to avoid this type of thing. Told him no problem and I pulled in some new electric cable and did the fix. He thanked me. Said it would go on his record if I (or he) reported it and he would get dinged on his performance review. Keeping these things quiet assures you will get fast service if you ever need to call him for service in the future.

Imo you did the right thing.Accidents can and do happen, he fixed his mistake, no need for him to lose his job.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You were correct to report it. It could be that this was an isolated mistake made by a well trained technician. It's also possible that he's done this several times as a careless incompetent technician and nobody reported him before because they didn't want to cause trouble. JMO

IMO of he fixed it, no harm no foul. If he didn't, that would lead me to half empty glass. Sounds like he was very regretful of his mistake and righted it ASAP. Better than leaving it and pretending like you are at fault.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts