Installer Late! Compensation from Dish?

Hperry, just to let you know, and this might help some, OTA antenna's are not standard to store in a dish van, if its on the work order previous to us rolling out there we will bring one, but if its not on the work order it will not be there probally that day. Myself as an installer have installed many OTA antenna's for local high def, but the prob with installing those is there is no promise that once installed you'll get enough signal to pull in anything, and for that reason and that reason alone, i really hate installing them.

Just an interesting observation after reading 5 pages of this :) It seems that at least for new installs, people going through local companies have better luck. I called one of the bigger Dish installers here and it was a great experience. They asked if I wanted the install the next day! The installers were on time and did a great job and I know several people who have used them and had good luck too. Also nice to have a local point of contact in case there is a problem. Of course, thats just my $.02 :D

Mike

srs913 said:
Hperry, just to let you know, and this might help some, OTA antenna's are not standard to store in a dish van, if its on the work order previous to us rolling out there we will bring one, but if its not on the work order it will not be there probally that day. Myself as an installer have installed many OTA antenna's for local high def, but the prob with installing those is there is no promise that once installed you'll get enough signal to pull in anything, and for that reason and that reason alone, i really hate installing them.

srs913, that makes sense. I agree with what somebody else said in this thread. I think Dish needs to do a better job of collecting information for potential installs. Does the customer care about a pole in the middle of his yard? Does the customer require wire fishing? Does the customer need an OTA antenna for the OTA receiver that will be installed? And I'm not saying all of these should come for free with an install. I just think it would help Dish and, more importantly, the installer understand how much time and equipment is needed for the install. Also, this would enable the management of customer expectations regarding cost vs quality of install.

That OTA antenna provided by D* is almost worthless.

Folks, we've got to remember- they are a satellite company. OTA is a sideline. Do you hear anyone saying the cableco should provide an OTA antenna? And don't tell me the cablecos provide the locals anyway. I had cable. OTA, for me, was far superior. YMMV

Yep, I'd like DTV OTA guide data, too. I'd pay $2 per month for it, if it were built in to my EPG and would work for setting up recordings. Not a big profit center for E*, I'm sure.

hperry said:
UGH. The analogy about the installer bringing a TV is way off target. The DISH Network is in the business of streaming content to homes. Thinking that they would bring me a tv is ludicrous. Thinking they might have an OTA antenna to mount with the dish they're putting on my house is not. QUOTE]

First off, Dish Network is NOT in the business of streaming content to homes... via OTA. I can't speak for Dish, but if it was my company, I wouldnt install the OTA antenna for free either
There are two different senerios....
Dish installs you an OTA antenna for free, and turns on OTA channel guide data for free..... Dish gets $0 for the antenna they provided and had installed, and they get $0 for programming received by antenna
Second.... Dish doesn't install OTA antenna for free..... they save the money on the antenna, and you pay $5 a month for locals via the satellite(their business)

hmmmm.... again, if it was my business, I wouldnt provide it either.

On the other hand, I can see them installing an OTA antenna if they do not provide the locals in HD in your area, but I think it is perfectly reasonable that they charge you for the locals to provide the guide data....

birddoggy said:
First off, Dish Network is NOT in the business of streaming content to homes... via OTA. I can't speak for Dish, but if it was my company, I wouldnt install the OTA antenna for free either
There are two different senerios....
Dish installs you an OTA antenna for free, and turns on OTA channel guide data for free..... Dish gets $0 for the antenna they provided and had installed, and they get $0 for programming received by antenna
Second.... Dish doesn't install OTA antenna for free..... they save the money on the antenna, and you pay $5 a month for locals via the satellite(their business)

hmmmm.... again, if it was my business, I wouldnt provide it either.

On the other hand, I can see them installing an OTA antenna if they do not provide the locals in HD in your area, but I think it is perfectly reasonable that they charge you for the locals to provide the guide data....

Are you serious? It's no secret that Dish(D* also) is clearly at a disadvantage due to the fact that they cannot provide HD locals in my area(and many others) right now via satellite. Your argument is equivalent to fighting to win the battle rather than the war. They should be doing what they can to cover their weakness which means helping customers receive HD locals one way or another (without the help of the cable co). This includes assisting paying customers with receiving OTA content as well as providing guide data that is already available in the stream.

hperry said:
Are you serious? It's no secret that Dish(D* also) is clearly at a disadvantage due to the fact that they cannot provide HD locals in my area(and many others) right now via satellite. Your argument is equivalent to fighting to win the battle rather than the war. They should be doing what they can to cover their weakness which means helping customers receive HD locals one way or another (without the help of the cable co). This includes assisting paying customers with receiving OTA content as well as providing guide data that is already available in the stream.

ok, so lets say you can get your locals via OTA and Dish gave you the guide data for free...
when Dish lit up the locals in your area in HD, would you switch over and pay for them over the satellite.... probably not, because you are already getting them for free.

And as far as your comment on winning the battle and not the war... yes thats exactly what i'm saying. Dish has just stepped its foot in the door in the world of HD locals, you can't expect them to blanket the nation from the get-go

HD Locals via any means other than OTA is a fairly new reality..... can you get your locals in HD from the local cable company? or from Directv?.... if not then why should Dish be "doing what they can to cover their weakness which means helping customers receive HD locals one way or another (without the help of the cable co)"... would you expect your local cable company to go around and put up OTA antenna's on their customer's homes?

I still stick by my argument that Dish Network means "dish", not OTA. As to providing OTA, as Birddoggy mentioned, yes, plenty of *local retailers* will provide that; as an additional charge. Dish is wise enough to realize there is competition from the cable companies. This is why Dish has partnered up with several telecos to bundle their satellite service with phone and internet. It doesn't mean they install...just that they support it.

I had an installer come out to do a "Dish Mover." He showed up on time but it went downhill from there. I wasn't there, my mother-in-law was. When I got home, he had mounted both dishes on an old wooden post that was not anchored in concrete so it wobbled all over the place. Also the second dish wasn't even an E* dish. It was spray painted black. That looked real professional. Then, the best of all, he cut the cable to my OTA antenna. But he didn't just cut it, he cut it and then shoved the cable up under my house, so I had to crawl under there and fish it out. A few days later my signal started dropping big time so I called E* and they said they would send someone back out. When the new installer saw what the first one did, he got rather pissed off. He pulled everything out and gave me a new installation.

If the 2nd installer did it right, he should have claimed the workorder as a re-install. It definately sounds like the 1st install was a total FUBAR situation. If there's any solace, then know that the 1st installer, or is representing company, was probably backcharged the amount of the 2nd installer's re-install.

mike1973 said:
Just an interesting observation after reading 5 pages of this :) It seems that at least for new installs, people going through local companies have better luck. I called one of the bigger Dish installers here and it was a great experience. They asked if I wanted the install the next day! The installers were on time and did a great job and I know several people who have used them and had good luck too. Also nice to have a local point of contact in case there is a problem. Of course, thats just my $.02 :D

Mike

Totally agree with you. I recently had an install done by a local and everything wen beautifully. I notice you're from Rochester NY also... who did your install?

Although this has been said time and time again, here is some insight into what it is like to install for dish network. You may work 9-10 days in a row, time off is not much of an option. Weekends off are basically impossible because Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are the busiest days. We may have 4-5 installs a day. Dishnetwork may give my company 10-12 more jobs (the morning the jobs are expected to be done) after routes were already completed the evening before.

Trouble calls and Service calls are to be done last, basically because our new connects are more important to them. Existing customers are already in a contract with them so they could care less. This only makes our jobs harder. It is hard to be on time when you are given so much work. We are the ones who need to deal with upset and unhappy customers because CSR's can just hang up on an irrate customer we are face to face with them.

Dish may also ask specific questions regarding the type of work needed to be done at your home - For instance whether you need wall fishes done, if there are existing phone lines, basement or crawl ect. They beleive the installer should not be privy to this info even though we are the ones installing the job. They make it nearly impossible for an installer to get there jobs done in a timely fashion. I am not a hack and always do my work well. It would not be unusual for me to be laying in a crawl space at 10pm with a spot light due to dish's incompetence to properly schedule work.

Sorry for rambling but some of us installers take great pride in our work. The pay is poor and the scheduling process is horrrible. Above all Dish is not interested in changing anything. For every cancel there are 50 new customers not to mention the fee they charge for early termination. They have nothing to lose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts