Installer Late! Compensation from Dish?

hperry

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Was given 8-noon as a time frame today so I'm working the morning from home. Now it looks like he won't be here until 1. The old Seinfeld cable guy routine....

Has anyone had success getting anything from Dish for things like this. My 30 day money back guarantee could be the bargaining chip...I'd be happy with another $50 credit or something...

I just emailed Dish to see if I get credit due to installation problem too. Installer came last Wednesday but couldn't finish the job because he is missing a switch. He said he will come back last Friday but wait whole day at home and no one showed up. Call the installation place and phone just keep ringing. Called Dish and they couldn't contact the installer either so they scheduled me for next Monday... 12 whole days without HD channels :(

The guy just got here and he's saying they don't install the HD OTA antenna either...Is that normal?

AFAIK, Dish has never, ever given compensation due to an installer being late. Especially a new connect. No offense, but asking for the $50 credit smacks of the infamous, "something for nothing" routine.

As to OTA, most installers don't do that. I guess the key word in "Dish Network" being "dish"...not off-the-air antenna. I guess it's like asking the installer to hook up your X-Box or your new stereo system.

webbydude said:
AFAIK, Dish has never, ever given compensation due to an installer being late. Especially a new connect. No offense, but asking for the $50 credit smacks of the infamous, "something for nothing" routine.

As to OTA, most installers don't do that. I guess the key word in "Dish Network" being "dish"...not off-the-air antenna. I guess it's like asking the installer to hook up your X-Box or your new stereo system.

I don't consider my time worth "nothing". I do plan to call and threaten to cancel within 30 days if they won't compensate me for lost time. We'll see...

Your "dish" comment falls apart when you consider that dish designed and sells the VIP622 which has an OTA HD tuner built in. Why would they bother if they only supported the "dish"?

The install guy came and went. The install went well except for the part where I had to convince him to install the dish in an inconspicuous location rather than the easier, uglier route. Also had to fish all the wires myself...skin is still itching from all the fiberglass insulation shards...

hperry said:
I don't consider my time worth "nothing". I do plan to call and threaten to cancel within 30 days if they won't compensate me for lost time. We'll see...

you'd cancel over 1 hour? If things that small bug you that much, you might as well cancel the service now. ;)

Dish is pretty good, but they are a long ways from perfect.

hperry said:
Your "dish" comment falls apart when you consider that dish designed and sells the VIP622 which has an OTA HD tuner built in. Why would they bother if they only supported the "dish"?

The 622 receiver also has HDMI, composite, and digital audio outputs. It doesn't mean your average installer is also going to bring out a hi-def television or surround stereo.

iafirebuff said:
I thought Dish sold OTA HD antennas?

There was a whole lot of talk here about them planning to do it, but I don't remember ever reading anything from anybody who says that they actually ever started.

Our installer was 2 hours late.

He didn't mount the grounding block to the house, and 2 tries later he still couldn't get back out to the house in the timeframe, so I'm going to have to end up mounting the grounding block to our brick.

hperry said:
The guy just got here and he's saying they don't install the HD OTA antenna either...Is that normal?

Yes sir that is completely normal. Standard Install... I've verified it myself after being asked to install HD OTA antenna, remove the existing older beam type antennas, etc.

Now if the connection was already there to plug right into that would be different.

If the installer was late then, think about how late he/she be on the next job.

Don't know about late for one hour, but I just got $25 credit for installer 12 days late after disconnecting my second dish. The $25 credit was for the missing HD channels for the 12 days since I am an existing customer.

If I were a Dish installer, I would not cite the doctor's appointment argument. A doctor will charge you for not showing up, and sometimes for being late.

And Dish will charge the customer if the installer shows up and you aren't there.

So this is a case of the customer being the stuckie.

My installer was late last Saturday and really cut into my activities that day. Frankly, I didn't appreciate it.

I don't consider showing up at 1 to be one hour late. The install was scheduled for between 8-12, so it should be finished by noon, not just started by noon.

How many installs are scheduled for a single installer for say 8-12 on Saturday morning? My guy was on his 3rd that day, and he had to drive 15 miles to get to my house. Does Dish overschedule all the time?

Tom Bombadil said:
I don't consider showing up at 1 to be one hour late. The install was scheduled for between 8-12, so it should be finished by noon, not just started by noon.

And this argument would be valid, except for the disclosure of "your service call is scheduled for Saturday from 8 - 12, the installer should arrive at your home during this time frame but the completion of the work may go past 12 so we ask that you please plan accordingly."

Tom Bombadil said:

How many installs are scheduled for a single installer for say 8-12 on Saturday morning? My guy was on his 3rd that day, and he had to drive 15 miles to get to my house. Does Dish overschedule all the time?

Way too often do I get overburdened with jobs. Par for the course in today's society. But to answer your question, yes...2, or even 3 installs in a time frame is not unheard of. Which does seem silly since dish "recommends" 4 hours for a 2 room install. And it only gets worse on the weekend. More people want weekend installs, for obvious reasons. If a new customer wanted a guarantee that their installer wouldn't be overburdened or even late to the install, I usually recommend scheduling for a middle of the week appointment.

Tom Bombadil said:
If I were a Dish installer, I would not cite the doctor's appointment argument. A doctor will charge you for not showing up, and sometimes for being late.

And Dish will charge the customer if the installer shows up and you aren't there.

So this is a case of the customer being the stuckie.

My installer was late last Saturday and really cut into my activities that day. Frankly, I didn't appreciate it.

If this was a direct install they are *supposed* to give you the disclosure that the tech should arrive during the timeframe but may not be finished during the timeframe. Your statement that an 8-12 install should be finished by noon is not the way the system is set up.

webbydude said:
If a new customer wanted a guarantee that their installer wouldn't be overburdened or even late to the install, I usually recommend scheduling for a middle of the week appointment.

I had an installer out because I couldn't lock on 119. I had a 12-5 appt on a THURSDAY, he showed up at 7:15pm. Found out I had new tree growth blocking my superdish at 119.

Had to get dish approval on the phone to put a dish 500 in a new spot and take down my superdish. He left around 8:45pm, said he still had 1 job in que but was going to call and cancel since it was "dark".

Nice guy, said dish wasn't going to charge me for dish 500, he told them my brother had an extra one.

Only got charged the $29 dish fee, tipped the guy and his buddy $20 a piece, since they went ahead and did everything without having to resechedule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts