Installer only using a SINGLE LNB for a SWM LNB HD install..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

abooch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Im having a slimline install as we speak. The installer is using a SWM LNB but it only has one circle on it instead of the 3 that I've been seeing. Is this correct? It's for HD..

yeah, that is the new swm3 lnb, instead of the swm5. It's fine, the 2 other satellites 110, 119... are not needed for hd anymore

so heres the deal..the installer used the SWM LNB with the one circle on it..he was trying to get the 119 with this LNB but that LNB does not pick up 119 right? There was signal strength 96+ on 101 and 103...but could not pick up 119..so whats the deal? He kept on saying 119 is important but was only using a "one circle" SL3S-lnb..So the install was not complete..took him 5 hours and I had to reschedule. My locals are New York by the way..

Yes, 99, 101 & 103 are all those will pick up. If he left it hooked up, theirs a good chance 99 fell into place. Check your receiver.

Yes, 99, 101 & 103 are all those will pick up. If he left it hooked up, theirs a good chance 99 fell into place. Check your receiver.

That's true, but the OP said the installer couldn't get the 119. The SWM3 won't see that sat, no matter how hard you try.

To the OP, if your locals are NY, then the SWM3 would be all that you needed.

He took the receivers with him..The dish is still up and everything so now I need to wait until tuesday. I was getting 96+ signal on 101..he never checked for 99..he checked for 119 and obviously it wasnt picking it up because its a 3lnb swm..i dont know what other sat he cheked but he told me specifically 119 was important..he was here for 5 and a half freakin hours!! and to think i already had all the lines runs because i had comcast all he had to do was mount the dish and hook it up to the existing wiring.. it took him 4 hours to try and find a signal and i've used dish pointer and it shows my LOS is great..

I probably phrased my 'yes' comment incorrectly as I was trying to say, yes, he only needs 99, 101 & 103. Did he spend the whole time trying to tune 119 with the meter never bothering to actually hook up a receiver? It would have been nice for him to leave the receivers with you but I think DTV makes them take them until the install is actually finished.

I know it was posted/discussed in the SWM threads but I have since forgotten the answer; During receiver setup do you select a traditional 5lnb slimline (& it just ignores 110 & 119) or is there now a selection for 3lnb SWM slimline?

see he didnt even look for 103 or 99.. the receiver set up was for 110 119 and 101, when I need 99 101 and 103.. I have almost perfect signal for 101 so i prob shouldnt have any trouble getting 103 and 99 right?

see he didnt even look for 103 or 99.. the receiver set up was for 110 119 and 101, when I need 99 101 and 103.. I have almost perfect signal for 101 so i prob shouldnt have any trouble getting 103 and 99 right?

No, you generally need two of the birds to fall in place before you can expect to 'get lucky' with the other ones. For the 5lnb Slimline, nailing 101 followed by 119 could get 99, 103 & 110 to fall into place. You would then just need to fine tune everything to peak the signals. Just finding 101 is not enough to guarantee the others are fine.

Are you sure he was installing a SWM Slimline; the old Phase three Mpeg-2 dish looked for 101, 110 & 119.

im trying to think if he looked for 103 at all but i cant remember...i just think it was 101/110/119 he tried and couldnt get 110 or 119 because the SWM 3LNB doesnt pick those up

im trying to think if he looked for 103 at all but i cant remember...i just think it was 101/110/119 he tried and couldnt get 110 or 119 because the SWM 3LNB doesnt pick those up

I could see this happening to a new installer as they are rolling out these newer SWM dishes. Someone else will clarify later, but I believe the receivers setup screen still expects to see all 5 birds & it's just a matter of clicking 'next' or 'continue' during setup to get it working correctly. It's too bad he didn't leave you a receiver to play with; 101 would have everything you need to temporarily play around with it.

I know the HR21's used to fail with the 103 bird upon initial setup even though it was really locked in.

No, you generally need two of the birds to fall in place before you can expect to 'get lucky' with the other ones. For the 5lnb Slimline, nailing 101 followed by 119 could get 99, 103 & 110 to fall into place. You would then just need to fine tune everything to peak the signals. Just finding 101 is not enough to guarantee the others are fine.

Are you sure he was installing a SWM Slimline; the old Phase three Mpeg-2 dish looked for 101, 110 & 119.

It sounds like he had a SWM3 dish but programmed the receivers for the 3LNB SD dish during the satellite setup. Hopefully you will get an installer that is smarter than the GUI in the receiver.

It sounds like he had a SWM3 dish but programmed the receivers for the 3LNB SD dish during the satellite setup. Hopefully you will get an installer that is smarter than the GUI in the receiver.

WC,

Do you know whether the receivers software has been updated to include a selection for 3lnb-SWM or do you still select 5lnb Slimline & hit 'next/continue' at the unused birds 110/119?

he should have forced a software download as soon as he plugged the receiver in. this will allow the receiver to auto detect the SWM3 lnb and varify the install is correct. the 119 will soon be going away and I expect a LOT of calls to DTV... only to change the settings to 3 lnb. you can go ahead and change the setting to the 3lnb option even if your slimline has a 5 lnb on it.

i had 96+ signal on 101 do you think ill have trouble getting 99 and 103?

WC,

Do you know whether the receivers software has been updated to include a selection for 3lnb-SWM or do you still select 5lnb Slimline & hit 'next/continue' at the unused birds 110/119?

Surprisingly the New D12-700 has as have the R15-500

The Hxxx that I have installed still have the usual array of Dual/Triple/Slimline and need a forced download before setting up. The R22 and HR22 will usually force itself during the setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)