Installer refuses to peak dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can not believe people here are defending bad customer service. How hard is to align a dish, your already up there. I do not buy this , 75% is good enough. During a storm that extra signal could prevent an outtage that could have been avoided with an extra 5 minuted of an installers time. It was not an unreasonable request. I worked customer service and still do to an extent. I subcribe to... do it right the first time and install as if you were doing it for your mom. Anything less just show lack of work ethic. All I am hearing is exuses. If it were an outragous request I could understand(I have had some of those myself), I never walked away from a customer, even the ones with unreasonable requests. Maybe I am being to tough, but IMO this was a case of bad customer service.

How are the signals on the 101 and 119 satellites? Over here on the east side of the states, we get mid 90's on 101 and 119 satellites, and the KA's are 70 to low 80's.

The installer, first peaks on 101, and then adjusts the skew for 119 signal. The others are then supposed to "fall in place". I have no way at the dish to see signal on 99 or 103 to peak them.

Just my $0.02

There was nothing national from 99 and 103 when my AT-9 was installed, but when they lit up I got 70s and 80s. So they did "fall into place," but could have been better.

I did my own peaking and now get upper 70s, 80s, and 90s on both Ka birds.

It still is not to my satisfaction--the installer did not really plumb the dish--but here in Kentucky (eastern US) 90s are certainly attainable.

I know that many signal meters will not show the Ka frequencies but I feel the installer should make some effort to peak them, even if it requires the customer to read off signal strengths from the living room to the installer's cell phone.

It is HIS home and he is going to be commited to a 2 yr contract after the install. The customer has every right to observe and verify the install is to his satisfaction.

Maybe so but pulltab has a point. Observing is one thing, hovering like a vulture over a carcass is another.
Having been an electrician for 30 years, nothing is more annoying that having someone looking over your shoulder while you're trying to get some work done.
If I can tell what you just had for lunch, you're too close...

Anytime a boss would would do that, I'd just stop and climb down off the ladder until he left ;) I don't need a babysitter... Most bosses are like diapers anyway, always on your ass and usually full of sh*t.

Like the sign I saw in an auto shop once:
Labor Rates:
$25/hour
$35/hour if you watch.
$50/hour if you help.

Hi. My first post on this forum. I'm usually at the other one. Anyway, I have a related tip. When DTV called me with my 'free HD DVR upgrade and new dish offer' I had already arranged a free upgrade. When I told the rep, she said I could upgrade a second TV. Well I had been getting some bad signals, so I seazed this opportunity. I took the upgrade and replaced an old DTivo that I have in my basement (rarely used), the TV isn't even HD, but what the heck I had the HR21 installed. When the installer saw I already had the dish, I kindly asked if he would just re-align it. He did a GREAT job. My 60s went to 90s and a cloudy day doesn't cause rain fade anymore on my HD signal.

Another benefit, I participate in the CE program. I think I'm now better prepared to get MRV-- if the day ever comes.

I can not believe people here are defending bad customer service. How hard is to align a dish, your already up there. I do not buy this , 75% is good enough. During a storm that extra signal could prevent an outtage that could have been avoided with an extra 5 minuted of an installers time. It was not an unreasonable request. I worked customer service and still do to an extent. I subcribe to... do it right the first time and install as if you were doing it for your mom. Anything less just show lack of work ethic. All I am hearing is exuses. If it were an outragous request I could understand(I have had some of those myself), I never walked away from a customer, even the ones with unreasonable requests. Maybe I am being to tough, but IMO this was a case of bad customer service.

It may be bad customer service, but the tech wasn't up there at the time that the customer saw the signal strengths. Yes, it would only take 5 minutes of the installers time if his ladder was left up and if the cable hadn't been screw clipped to the house.

My point is that we weren't there, and only have one side of the story to go by. I do agree with your point about doing it right the first time, and what type of work ethic it displays.

I never had a problem with a customer watching me work but I have had problems with customers leaning over my shoulder close enough to qualify us as legaly married and above all else stay off my ladder because the insurance only covers me being on it not you. If your going to watch the installer then give them space of about 5ft or greater so they can work and please dont do anything other than idle chit chat, getting installers involved in an indepth conversation will extend your install time and could lead to heated debates about politics or religion or crunchy versus creamy peanut butter.

I'm paying D* over $1000/yr. Given that investment, I wanted a peak signal. So upon arrival, I told the installer that I'd tip him $25 if he peaked the signal and didn't just go with the minimum acceptable signal strength. And he nailed it. I felt it was money well spent.

I'm paying D* over $1000/yr. Given that investment, I wanted a peak signal. So upon arrival, I told the installer that I'd tip him $25 if he peaked the signal and didn't just go with the minimum acceptable signal strength. And he nailed it. I felt it was money well spent.

that's my plan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)