Installer says Distribution Amp will improve reception, possibly bring in more channels?

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
I had an OTA antenna installed and I want to distribute to 4+ rooms.

I won't be using it for any other applications, like a cable box. My installer recommended the Electroline 4 port EDA-2400 because it provides 7db per line, but I was hoping to future proof and I saw there was the 8 port EDA-2800 but it only provides 4db.

My installer said it should help me improve the signal strength for some weak channels that I can t catch.

Do you guys recommend the same product or is there something better? I don t absolutely need more than 4 TVs, will the 7db make a big difference? Or something else?

Thank you!

Where are you located? What are you using for a TV Antenna? What channels aren't you getting that you think you should? Please post your tvfool.com report or at least your zip code.

I had an OTA antenna installed and I want to distribute to 4+ rooms.

I won't be using it for any other applications, like a cable box. My installer recommended the Electroline 4 port EDA-2400 because it provides 7db per line, but I was hoping to future proof and I saw there was the 8 port EDA-2800 but it only provides 4db.

My installer said it should help me improve the signal strength for some weak channels that I can t catch.

Do you guys recommend the same product or is there something better? I don t absolutely need more than 4 TVs, will the 7db make a big difference? Or something else?

Thank you!
The answers to Boba's question would be of help.

A distribution amplifier will NOT help your "reception" at the antenna. It only amplifies what the antenna delivers to the house. A antenna pre-amp might help. Sometimes it is called an antenna signal booster. A amplifier is installed up at the antenna and amplifies the signal there before it is sent into the house to another box where (usually) it is amplified again for distribution. One such pre-amp is the Channel Master CM7777 that a lot of people recommend.

Hope this helps,

DRCars

Try directly connecting the antenna to a TV and see what you get, then compare to it split 4 ways. If your local channels are strong they will be able to be split without issue. If they are weak, a distribution amp may be enough to keep them working through the split. Fringe channels would need a preamp at the antenna as mentioned above. As Boba mentioned a TVfool report would give you an idea if there possible channels out there that you would be interested in receiving.

Here is the link from tvfool with my coordinates http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=d2435a652433c7

The local installer seems to be the city expert on OTA, he modified an existing OTA antenna to get optimal results from the 23 possible channels that can be obtained from my area.

The channel I really wanted was ID 62-1 Broadcast 49, City TV (CJNT) Montreal, I don't even see it on my list from tvfool.

He had to tweak the antenna to bring in the channels I wanted, he was close to that one as it briefly came in distorted before everything was tightened.

The OTA antenna he modifies is the one he calls the HD BUNNY in this link, I would like to know the actual name of it http://www.watchhdfree.com/

He mentioned as winter comes in, reception could actually improve for that channel, but that an amplifier could also improve it, which brought me here.

What DRCars said us true.

Don't use an 8 port unless you need to feed more than 4 TVs.

There are certainly better antennas out there.

What DRCars said us true.

Don't use an 8 port unless you need to feed more than 4 TVs.

There are certainly better antennas out there.
Find yourself a new antenna installer one that actually understands what he is doing. That website is mostly hype to part a fool and his money.
CJNT ch. 49 62-1 isn't listed on TV Fool so I can't guess where it is in relation to you. If you are looking for a small antenna you should probably stick with what you have. If you want to try for the 80 mile or greater stations you are going to need a big antenna with a pre-amp.

The answers to Boba's question would be of help.

A distribution amplifier will NOT help your "reception" at the antenna. It only amplifies what the antenna delivers to the house. A antenna pre-amp might help. Sometimes it is called an antenna signal booster. A amplifier is installed up at the antenna and amplifies the signal there before it is sent into the house to another box where (usually) it is amplified again for distribution. One such pre-amp is the Channel Master CM7777 that a lot of people recommend.

Hope this helps,

DRCars

I guess I would have to weigh if it is worth the work for the one channel I am missing but really want.

How does the CM7777 get its power? Right now I have my OTA wire coming in to the house to a central location where all my wires come in and from there I would split in off to different rooms.

Could I hook ip the CM7777 in my hub by any chance? If it has to be at the antenna, what do you use to run power to it?

Once all that is sorted out, I would use an EDA-2400 or 2800 to distribute it to different rooms in the house?

I guess I would have to weigh if it is worth the work for the one channel I am missing but really want.

How does the CM7777 get its power? Right now I have my OTA wire coming in to the house to a central location where all my wires come in and from there I would split in off to different rooms.

Could I hook ip the CM7777 in my hub by any chance? If it has to be at the antenna, what do you use to run power to it?

Once all that is sorted out, I would use an EDA-2400 or 2800 to distribute it to different rooms in the house?
Power to the amplifier is carried on the coaxial cable the actual amplifier is located at the antenna and the power supply is in the house. Hold off on the distribution amplifier until you find out if you need it, too many amplifiers can be worse than none.

Here is the link from tvfool with my coordinates http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=d2435a652433c7

The local installer seems to be the city expert on OTA, he modified an existing OTA antenna to get optimal results from the 23 possible channels that can be obtained from my area.

The channel I really wanted was ID 62-1 Broadcast 49, City TV (CJNT) Montreal, I don't even see it on my list from tvfool.

He had to tweak the antenna to bring in the channels I wanted, he was close to that one as it briefly came in distorted before everything was tightened.

The OTA antenna he modifies is the one he calls the HD BUNNY in this link, I would like to know the actual name of it http://www.watchhdfree.com/

He mentioned as winter comes in, reception could actually improve for that channel, but that an amplifier could also improve it, which brought me here.

Looking at your TV Fool report, that antenna you have doesn't look like it would work all that well, before getting amps and such I myself would get a different ant. Almost all your channels are 1 edge, 2 edge, so I'd guess you'd need a decent long range one and not one like you have now. That one looks like it'd probably be good for strong LOS only. What channels do you get now with the coax going straight to one TV?

The installer is right about as winter comes in the channel may come in stronger. Once the leaves are off the trees you might get better reception. I think he steered you wrong with that ant though, especially looking at the price. I don't see no specs for it, but it doesn't look very good and that price seems very high for what it looks to be.

Is that antenna already amplified? Does it have a junction block that goes inline with the coax and plugs into the wall? If it's already amplified, you wouldn't want to add a pre-amp to it, it'll make your signal worse.

A distribution amp would be okay if that ant is already amplified, in the sense that it won't reduce your signal from the antenna, but it's not going to improve it either, it would help the signal being degraded by splitting to a lot of TVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)