Installers I am begging you again stop.. This is not how to install

I'm a dish network and WB installer,

Just looking at the photos, maybe we can get these guys to a make a picture forum to post some wacky install pics on this site. That would be cool, or maybe they have it already and I dont know!
(new by two days.. so I'm still kinda lost)
Man, I really like those pics guys, lol
Crazy stuff we see on the fields even with some of my co-workers doing silly or dumb stuff that should never ever.. even thought about doing, they do it anyway to save themselves a minute or a few beeds of sweat. But ya, the customers that don't question some of this stuff are just.. crazy.

The amazing thing is, the customers will compliment some of these hack installers, because the tech did exactly what the customer wanted.

I have had soooo many customers wanting me to "put it on the tree" and just think I'm trying to ____ them because I will not. And by the way I charge 150 for a pole mount using a 2" galv water pipe not the chain link fence post (so take it or leave it, not reducing my standards..............they can put there own pole in for 125)

Wow, that seems really expensive. So you charge an extra $150 for a pole mount? What do the materials and time cost you, about $35? Seems like a ripoff to me.

I don't charge $150 if the customer agrees to bury the wire.

10' galv water pipe and 4 bags quick set concrete = ~ $65. Ususally 1-2 hrs to get materials and load up digging equip, + ~1hr to put in.........150 not too much. Rather they do it themselves. Do not have room to carry around all the stuff or want to carry the extra weight.

$125 to $150 extra for a pole mount when done right AKA schedule 40 galv pipe, plenty of cement, sweep at the bottom and at the building, drill a hole in the pipe and put in an anti rotation rod, dig, water, fill, get and haul around all the stuff etc. Especially if you have to then trench and bury

That pole mount is very reasonable... especially when you take into consideration the time you need to wait before putting the dish on the pole, and if you get the concrete low enough in the ground you need to wait before putting dirt on top of it (i always thing these look best... my pole is a 10 footer 5 feet in the ground with 2 80lb bags of concrete and about 6 inches of dirt on top of the concrete)

Its funny that you mention these sort of hack jobs... I had a tech out today to install my D* Slimline and he and I discussed what some techs at his company do, I was very surprised when he took my ground wire down and ran a new one under the siding out of sight (mine was #10 and grounded properly, he just wanted to make it neater) he also put some self tapping screws through the mast into the pole to ensure no rotation... i was very pleased with his work.

that said back in 04 i had a dish network tech install a dish at my apartment, it was ungrounded, super sloppy and sh!tty signal... the only thing he did properly was to seal the mast on the roof. Ive done several D* installs and now that Ive seen the slimline installed I feel confident I can do it too...

Also on my way out of town one day I saw a Hughes net dish mounted to a tree...

I've been doing Direc-ways and now Wild Blues for 10 years,
Do you installers really Dig 3' feet down and use 3 bags of concrete?
If thats the case I dont see how you can set a Dish in the same day.

3-2 bags fast set. Do it the first thing. go run cables, ground, configure the modem etc. Go back, put the dish on aim, peak, commission.

BTW DW has only been around about 5 years and WB considerably less so it looks like your installs may be taking too long if it feels like it's been 10 years.:D

3-2 bags fast set. Do it the first thing. go run cables, ground, configure the modem etc. Go back, put the dish on aim, peak, commission.

BTW DW has only been around about 5 years and WB considerably less so it looks like your installs may be taking too long if it feels like it's been 10 years.:D

DW AKA Hughes has been around alot longer than 10 years. Not sure of the time they started offering the PES to the enterprise market seems like I read some were around 20 years, but Hughes started offering the 1 way systems in the mid 90' to customers. :D

per above

Learn About HughesNet

Since Hughes first invented the VSAT in the mid-1980’s, they have consistently been the world leader in providing enterprises, governments, and telecommunications operators with an evolving range of advanced, satellite-based, private network solutions. These networks provide rapid, reliable transmission of data, voice, video
and multimedia to virtually an unlimited number of sites over continent-wide areas covered by geostationary satellites. HughesNet is Hughes’ global brand encompassing all broadband solutions and services from Hughes. Customers of HughesNet solutions and services include many of the world’s leading companies, spanning a wide range of vertical sectors, as well as government and multi-national organizations and small businesses/consumers.

i went out and fixed on that the installer had mounted on the roof of a two story house, with no sealant under it, and then he ran the cable down beside the gutter and duct taped to the gutter. i kid you not, to say the least the homeowner say very much on the pissed side

More crap. I had a coworker with me here. When I claimed on the roof he was wondering what I was laughing at. BTW its sand. The conduit they grounded to was not hooked up to anything. The ground block was mounted right beside the entrance to the store.

At least they remembered the drip loops huh? ;)

i had a senior tech running with me one day because he was injured just helping out with the receiver unpacking and little stuff.

I had a service call to a townhouse with one of those 6-7 foot long divider fences seperating the back yards. This fence had 4 dishes on it and was wobbly as hell. I talked to the customer about it and he agreed to pay up to 2 hours labor(probably only an hour...) to properly install his dishes on poles in the yard and eliminate that fence.

the senior tech stopped me - told me no, we cant do it, we have too many work orders today and we dont have time. i didnt care i wanted the money but we had 2 more 4 room installs that day. (both ended up being full 4 room cabling needed so it was good we did not spend that time at the dish reinstall job)

so sometimes the installer WANTS to do better, WANTS to fix the situation, but the senior tech was right, we simply did not have the time to fix what a previous tech should have never done in the 1st place.

so hopefully someday that guy will get his dish off that fence from somebody else.. i swear you could move it almost 5 inches side to side it was so wobbly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)