Installers made a huge deal about everything so I sent them packing ... now what?

The logic with all that is if we offer the best HD programming, why give someone a wire mess by giving them component cables and a lower picture quality?
Good points. Except that this part quoted - probably meant to say composite cables instead component. The wire numbers are still the same as composite, but the pic quality isn't. HDMI is neater, but sometimes you need component.

Though you can use the composite cables on the component output (since they often are the only cables that come in the box) and still acheive the best picture quality...but that's another story.

No I do mean component. Component cables transfer an analog video signal while HDMI sends a digital one. Even though the difference isn't very noticeable it makes a difference when component video is decoded at the receiver then sent over the cable to the TV (slight loss of quality on the way) while HDMI sends all the information to be decoded right at the TV resulting in near-zero quality loss.

Composite does make a huge difference when it comes to HD.

Maybe I live in a different environment, because HDMI and component inputs looks the same for me. I guess it comes down to opinion, which I don't want to argue. Perhaps my equipment on both ends is good enough to not have it noticable. I could see if someone had equipment that wasn't as good and poor cables that there may be degradation...

Composite does make a huge difference when it comes to HD.
Indeed, a huge NEGATIVE difference in comparison to either of the two above!

Maybe I live in a different environment, because HDMI and component inputs looks the same for me. I guess it comes down to opinion, which I don't want to argue.

Indeed, a huge NEGATIVE difference in comparison to either of the two above!
Agreed...Compoment vs HDMI....NO difference, IMHO...a myth.

Agreed...Compoment vs HDMI....NO difference, IMHO...a myth.

I would agree that the difference is transparent if your monitor is incapable of resolving the difference. Therefore if you can't see a difference with your measuring stick then you might assume it is a myth. The precision of HDMI over RGBHV and worse, "component" may require a larger screen to observe, ISF monitor calibration, and having your vision checked and corrective lenses.

Does Dish Network now forbid installers to install a Dish on a roof?

DirectDishNet:
NO, As long as it is not mounted on a roof over a living space. An eve or fascia should be fine.

dishcomm:
First, I know of no such policy banning roof mounts over the living area.

So which is it? I assume both of you are professional installers and know what you're talking about. Which one of you is quoting Dish Policy correctly?

I've never seen an HDMI run of 40-80 ft. long. In my Home theater the run is 30 ft from the HDMI switch to the ceiling mounted projector. The same length run with component makes the image soft by comparison.
I have run component video up to 100 ft and it looks as good at that distance as component at 15 ft. You just have to have the cables of equal length and properly terminated. This was in a betacam SP ( YIQ) install, not consumer component (Y PrPb) Shouldn't be a difference though.

BTW- the problem with any analog signal at high resolution is that the pixel borders often become soft and run into each other that can be detected with very high quality monitor at high focus. Using digital will eliminate this issue since the data is interpreted at the sink as on or off making the voltage rise time in an analog signal at the sink just not an issue.

I've never seen an HDMI run of 40-80 ft. long. In my Home theater the run is 30 ft from the HDMI switch to the ceiling mounted projector. The same length run with component makes the image soft by comparison.
I have run component video up to 100 ft and it looks as good at that distance as component at 15 ft. You just have to have the cables of equal length and properly terminated. This was in a betacam SP ( YIQ) install, not consumer component (Y PrPb) Shouldn't be a difference though.

BTW- the problem with any analog signal at high resolution is that the pixel borders often become soft and run into each other that can be detected with very high quality monitor at high focus. Using digital will eliminate this issue since the data is interpreted at the sink as on or off making the voltage rise time in an analog signal at the sink just not an issue.

Hmmm..... That might of been the problem with the quality...Cable same length? I don't think they were the same length because I did some service loops and hung them in the attic... I might of did 3 loops with one and 4 with the other and 6 with the last one....

Is your dish grounded? When Dish installed my dish in May I asked about grounding it and the installer said it did not have to be grounded. Dose Dish now ground all installs now or what?

Dishcomm: I was under the impression that you meant an outlet ground, as in a power outlet. Apologies if I misunderstood.

Don Landis: Yes, the bases actually have 9 holes now even though we only use 6.

My DNS office up here hands out Dishcomm and Phonex telephone kits at no charge with the same going for HDMI cables for HD new connects. The only extra we charge for I think is the OTA module, which no one really has any use for. The logic with all that is if we offer the best HD programming, why give someone a wire mess by giving them component cables and a lower picture quality? Why make someone pay $5 for a dual receiver just because they don't have a telephone in that one specific room? Dish makes up for that small loss in the long run from customers purchasing PPV and other services/goods. I wish the rest of the DNS offices did the same both for the customer's and Dish's sake.

As for the mounting over the living space... I deal with a lot of country installs where most of the time there is NO reason for the dish to be on the peak of the roof. Silly tech, you're still 22,000 miles away from the satellite itself! With the exception of rare cases where you need to squeeze between several trees there is usually a way better spot to mount it.
9 times out of ten it is the customer that isnsists on dish placement "as high as you can get it".
It gets quite amusing when I hear the reasons why the cust thinks he needs "good reception" and to get that "I want the dish as high up the roof as it can go".
I look at them and say " the satellites are 22,000 miles up in space. Do you think that signal is going to get to the top of your roof and STOP?"...
That closes the book on that nonsense.
I don;t go on roofs if I can avoid it anyway. So the point is moot.
I stay on the ladder and will not go on a roof that has a 8/12 pitch or greater. And I never go out on to the roof of a two story house.
I have had too many near misses. I am not about to risk my life so someone can watch HGTV. No way.

Wow! All this info. has been extremely interesting to this "newbie" here in rural central VA. But I have a question, someone in this discussion mentioned that Dish no longer allows a customer to do self installs, is this true? If so, their web site sure leaves an entirely different impression.
My husband prefers to do the installs himself. We want to install a 1000.4 connected to either a 211k or a 222k. I've downloaded the user's manuals for both the 1000.4 and the receivers. So we know the special type of RG6 cable required, switches, and grounding specs required.

Customers are more than welcome to buy their own equipment and install it themselves. If you want "free" equipment from Dish, they have to install it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)