Installing additional receivers

rmartes

Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Okay!!! I have a DISH 500 pointing to 110/119 with 2xsw-21 switches in our roof. I have one cable coming from the sw-21 into my apartment connected to one receiver and the other going into my in-laws' reciever in their apartment. I want to be able to take the one cable coming into my apartment from the sw-21 in the roof and split that to connect a total of 3 or 4 receivers from within my apartment. I will like to do the same setup with my in-laws. I need to know how go about this and the equipment (switches) needed.

I am trying to avoid dropping additional cables into each apartment. BTW, I already have 2 2X4 RCA multiswitches from RCA from my previous DirecTV setup.

Thanks

Directv switches WILL NOT WORK

taht said... there are going to be problems without running more drops.

Since you have SWs then we have to assume you have a legacy Twin on the roof

I personally would recommend getting a new legacy quad. running 119 and 110 (1 wire each) out to a SW34 for your side.. and taking those 4 drops into the apartment.

Unfortunately you have the choice of running 1 new wire from the roof into your place putting the SW in there or running all 4 drops from the switch outside.

for your inlaws you can attach those 2 wires to the existing sw21 and you are good to go. (I may be completely wrong but you may not need the SW21.)

Anotehr option. Use the existing LNB(s) that you have and still get the SW34. Plug 119 and 110 into ports 1 and 2. Then run your 4 drops from the switch into your apartment. Next on ports 1 and 2 (output aka cascading ports) hook up the sw21 for your inlaws.

Either way you are going to be running more cable unfortunately.

ShadowEKU said:
Directv switches WILL NOT WORK

taht said... there are going to be problems without running more drops.

Since you have SWs then we have to assume you have a legacy Twin on the roof

I personally would recommend getting a new legacy quad. running 119 and 110 (1 wire each) out to a SW34 for your side.. and taking those 4 drops into the apartment.

Unfortunately you have the choice of running 1 new wire from the roof into your place putting the SW in there or running all 4 drops from the switch outside.

for your inlaws you can attach those 2 wires to the existing sw21 and you are good to go. (I may be completely wrong but you may not need the SW21.)

Anotehr option. Use the existing LNB(s) that you have and still get the SW34. Plug 119 and 110 into ports 1 and 2. Then run your 4 drops from the switch into your apartment. Next on ports 1 and 2 (output aka cascading ports) hook up the sw21 for your inlaws.

Either way you are going to be running more cable unfortunately.
There is no such switch as a SW-34 and DP-34 only work with DISH PRO which requires LEGACY ADAPTERS for older receivers.

Shadow - I think you mixed your metaphors (switches & LNBFs). To clarify:

SW-xx is for Legacy LNBFs only. To do what he wants with Legacy becomes a real mess.

Go with a DISHPRO LNBF. Depending on where the various wires are and will be helps with the Twin vs. Quad decision.

Option 1: DP Quad. Take Ports 1 & 2 to "nice" place in Apt. 1 and hook to a DP34 switch. Ports 3 & 4, Apt. 2, another DP34.

Option 2: DP Twin. Ports 1 & 2 into DP34, then a dual feed from there to the other DP34 using the cascade ports.

EITHER option will work just fine, but Option 1 will cost a little more for the Quad. If it save you from messing with more cable, maybe it's worth it to you.

Note that DishPro equipment REQUIRES RG-6 swept to at least 2150MHz. If your existing cable isn't, it all has to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

As for your question in the other thread you started (which I have requested to be closed).

The DP34 switches will handle the 61.5 bird just fine. Get a Dish 300, with a DishPro Dual LNBF. If you go with Option #2 above, you can get away with a DP Single LNBF anbd save a couple of bucks.

Simply expand on the logic of the above options - it'll work just fine.

EDIT: I just noticed - in the other thread you mention a 7200 receiver. That is a Legacy-only model. It requires you to either you DPP44 switches instead of the DP34, or to buy a DP Adapter for it - and every other 4-digit model number receiver you may have.

u can't mix dishpro switch with legacy lnb. u will need dp lnbf. as for your legacy receiver u will need SW64 switch with 3 legacy dual lnbf. happy? your max run on you cable is 100' on dishpro it is 200'
if you go with dishpro, u go with dptwin, dpdual, and dp34 switch. if you have dishnetwork manual, it is on the manual. with illustration.

as i pull my foot out of my mouth I apologize for messing that one up. but Go Dish Pro use DP34's or dpp44 and legacy adapters if you have need for them,

Simple Simon.... Thanks for the information, because you answered everyhting for me and now know what to do. I will go with option #1 with the Quad LNBF and run port 1 nd 2 into one apt with a DP34 and the same with port 3 and 4 to the other with DP34. I will then get a Dish 330 with a dual output LNBF and one one wire into each apts DP34. This will be just fine. Three cables will be running into each apt and I already have the cable in running with the apts.

Great!!!!

Thanks to all

your quad lnbf will not work with dp34, i repeat it will not work, neither will your dual lnbf. They have to be Dishpro lnbf to work with dp34.

dulzen said:
your quad lnbf will not work with dp34, i repeat it will not work, neither will your dual lnbf. They have to be Dishpro lnbf to work with dp34.

yes you need a quad Dish Pro LNBF... you cant plug a legacy quad into a DP switch.

dulzen said:
Simple Simon don't you just love these inteligent answers. The poster can't read, you posted a DP QUAD and he dosen't know how to use capitalization, but he is an expert at answering questions. :)

Yeah - I'm not sure what's up with dulzen. I've seen his other posts. He seems to want to help and be a good guy, but isn't quite getting there. He probably just needs to sit back and read some more of our stuff to get up to speed. :) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)