Installing an HR22 confused not sure if I'm missing a step

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wrench347

Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
denver
THis is my first post. I stumbled on to this site while trying to figure ut what I'm doing wrong or have set up wrong. Tried the search on this forum but not sure how to word it.

Last night the wife picked up an HR22 for my birthday. Went through the set up. Installed the BBC's all the wires etc... Get to where you call DirecTV and give them your new numbers.

We get to the dish selecion part. The old reciever had Round 18" selected. The D* guy told me to select Slimline 5 LNB. Let the box do it's thing. Can't remember exactly what was checked on the box as far as degrees. I do remember 103 degrees had a red X. only 2 boxes had ble checks.

He tells me continue on anyway. We get to the guide menu and all HD channels are listed and I have full show names and times but every channel when selected gives me a 771 error and is is blank grey screen.

He transferred me to their tech support. After awhile my phone dropped the call. It was too late in the evening for me to continue trying.

I got up this morning early and tried a few different satallite dish types. Only the Slimline 5LNB brings up the guide menu.

The guy I 1st started out with told me I may not have The correct dish at the apartment complex I live at. I called the contractor that does our buildings. He told me my building has a 5LNB installed there should be no problems.

Man, as vague as my problem is at this point. How should I continue when I get home? What info should I get so that you folks can better help me? I'm pretty good with home electronic set up etc... I'm a mechanic so I'm pretty good technically. Just feeling out of water with this.

EDIT: Figured I would add. We're upgrading from an older R15-500. Not sure if that would make a difference in information.

In an apartment complex I doubt you have a standard 5 LNB Slimline system. More than likely you have an 18" round standard definition system.

You may have the 5LNB on your building, but now you need to know how the signal is being distributed. Do you have two lines available?

I have one line coming out of the wall into a switcher (splitter?) than into two connections at the back of the box.

Also have another R15-500 in the bedroom. Same setup out of the wall. I'm beginning to think he's misinformed on the Dish. I have a 1st floor apt. The dish is on the top level corner apt. Looks like a round. Not 100% sure it's dark out and was getting some wierd looks from folks as I was staring up at the top floor balcony lol.

If it comes down to it I may have to wait till the end of the month. He said the complex is undergoing a swap from SD dishes to the 5LNB.

The new HD receivers have ODU Validation software built into them now. It actually tests that you have A. 2 sat lines connected into the back and B. a slimline outside. If you are trying to run those boxes on a standard round dish your going to have all sorts of problems. Those are the most advanced boxes they have and they do not work properly without two lines and especially without the slimline installed outside. Do a search on DTV Slimline Dish that will give you an idea what type of dish to look for outside. I highly doubt you have one outside.

The new HD receivers have ODU Validation software built into them now. It actually tests that you have A. 2 sat lines connected into the back and B. a slimline outside. If you are trying to run those boxes on a standard round dish your going to have all sorts of problems. Those are the most advanced boxes they have and they do not work properly without two lines and especially without the slimline installed outside. Do a search on DTV Slimline Dish that will give you an idea what type of dish to look for outside. I highly doubt you have one outside.

Yeah googled the slimline. Said screw it went to the neighbors upstairs asked if I could check it out. They were cool. It's an 18" round.

Soooooo guess I'm calling the contractor tomorrow see if maybe I can get my building bumped up on the list lol. Doubt it but worth a shot.

Really appreciate the help folks. This is soooooooo different from cable. Hell of a lot cheaper and so far better though.

I have one line coming out of the wall into a switcher (splitter?) than into two connections at the back of the box.

Also have another R15-500 in the bedroom. Same setup out of the wall. I'm beginning to think he's misinformed on the Dish. I have a 1st floor apt. The dish is on the top level corner apt. Looks like a round. Not 100% sure it's dark out and was getting some wierd looks from folks as I was staring up at the top floor balcony lol.

If it comes down to it I may have to wait till the end of the month. He said the complex is undergoing a swap from SD dishes to the 5LNB.

If you do indeed have a 5 LNB dish on your apartment (highly unlikely) the splitter could be the source of your problem.

Take the splitter off and run the lines directly to your HR22 and see if that helps.

Good luck!

He is running a MDU with a 18" dish, no mtter awhat he does it isnt going to work, and in his case the splitter or tap is fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts