Installing Directv with previous Dish wiring?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bosephus

Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Madison, WI
Hey folks, hoping through your experience and vast knowledge you could help me on a possible switch from Dish to Direct.

I currently have a dual SD DVR from Dish. The dish is a pole mount instal in my yard due to sight lines. I'm looking to switch to Direct due to current promos they have and extra channels I want.

I only can do the switch if they can use the existing wiring that was used by Dish. I don't want to dig up my yard any further installing new wiring/cable and I also want to use the same pole mount. I understand the dish itself will be new as well.

I'm not sure if this can be answered without knowing what kind of wire/cable they used...(it was black and orange if that helps at all...haha) I would like to upgrade to an HD DVR for my main tv and a SD DVR receiver for my SD tv upstairs being that Direct does not offer a dual tuner.

So can I make the switch to Direct with this setup or am I looking at a totally new install?

Thanks in advance!

Well if your Install has 4 lines from pole to house and you have 2 wires in every drop for your DVR's then your as good as gold...

If not then SWM is the only way to go as long as your not at 150' from room to dish (cable run) that will work on 1 wire for each DVR. Might want to contact a local retailer and make sure they stock the SWM LNB for install as going through Diret is a crap shoot on geting swm.

KA/KU dish will be pointing 10deg west then your dish net system if you have 110,119 install .

Good Luck

Is the SWM something that will cost extra at install, or is that something you can get included?

My understanding is that if you have 5 to 8 tuners being installed that you'll get the SWM8 LNB, anything other then that you don't. Doesn't matter if you tell the CSR you want the SWM8, they can't put it on the order, I've been told the computer decides who does or doesn't get one.

My son just got DirecTV last weekend, had four tuners and had told CSR must be SWM due to wiring issues and was told no problem. Installer shows up and no SWM on the order. He was told either it has to be a SWM or cancel the order, he called back to the office and got the OK for the SWM8 and we were in luck he had one, but had to wait until the next day for a SD receiver that could take a SWM feed.

They will have to replace the pole, as the KA/KU dish is a 2" pole and the normal Dish stuff is 1 5/8". Unless you get a hack that just self taps a section of cutoff mast to the pole you have now.

Also the HSP in our area has told us if they go out and inspect a job that has a SWM LNB and there is less than 5 tuners on it, and the additional wires could have been run, they will charge the installer $140. Even if the work order is modified to a SWM and the customer demands it.

Just so customers know $140 is more than the pay for 2 installs. So don't be suprised if an installer won't do it for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)