Installing HD dish and which one to buy?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

FormulaGT

Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
Hello,
I would like to install a seperate HD dish for our guest house but am unclear as to which dish I need to receive my current programming, which is english/U.S.A. I am assuming the one I found on ebay would suffice but I would appreciate some advice on exactly what I need to look for. I have done several self installs for the standard 18" dish but have no experience with an HD dish. Appreciate the help and suggestions!

Hello,
I would like to install a seperate HD dish for our guest house but am unclear as to which dish I need to receive my current programming, which is english/U.S.A. I am assuming the one I found on ebay would suffice but I would appreciate some advice on exactly what I need to look for. I have done several self installs for the standard 18" dish but have no experience with an HD dish. Appreciate the help and suggestions!

Do you want HD and how many recvrs are you planning to use ?

If you want HD, you'll need a Slimline dish, SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) if using more than 1 recvr would be recommended.

You don't necessarily need a SWM system, but if you've got a DVR receiver then it's totally worth it. Especially since SWM and non-SWM are very close in price these days. Whoever you buy from (Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist, me) make sure they guarantee the LNB works. If you need help installing it, shoot me a PM. I can talk guys through the installation and peaking process in 10 to 15 minutes over the phone. Or you can spend two days trying to peak it in, THEN call me when you're hysterical. Whatever works for you.

But the exact dish you are looking for is a SWM3 Slimline HD DirecTV Satellite Dish. You must also purchase a Power Inserter and a SWM Splitter (a four way or eight way splitter is recommended) to use the SWM LNB.

You don't necessarily need a SWM system, but if you've got a DVR receiver then it's totally worth it. Especially since SWM and non-SWM are very close in price these days. Whoever you buy from (Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist, me) make sure they guarantee the LNB works. If you need help installing it, shoot me a PM. I can talk guys through the installation and peaking process in 10 to 15 minutes over the phone. Or you can spend two days trying to peak it in, THEN call me when you're hysterical. Whatever works for you.

But the exact dish you are looking for is a SWM3 Slimline HD DirecTV Satellite Dish. You must also purchase a Power Inserter and a SWM Splitter (a four way or eight way splitter is recommended) to use the SWM LNB.

Curious, when you purchase the SWM version, is the PI and Splitter included ?

If not, he'll probably find the regular SL3 to work fine.

One question we didn't ask and he didn't mention is, does he have access to run 2 lines to the recvrs, as he'll need 2 to each DVR recvr if he's going Non SWM, where if he goes SWM he'll only need one line to each.

I do both and don't really prefer one over the other, but if the SWM version cost more because of addl items to buy ... and another outlet to be used ... really wish they made the PI so it was powered from the recvr, or set up like the AM21's where your not wasting an electrical outlet.

Thanks for the replies guys! I actually already have an 18" dish on the guest house with 2 cables coming into the house for one receiver. The installation of an HD dish and new receiver will be upgrades along with a tv. Still old school at the guest house. I have noticed that some of the dish's sold include a power inserter and 4 or 8 way splitter. Is this a most recent dish with single feed to lnb? I have seen others sold with a 4 input lnb too. A little confused as I am not up on the latest technology.

The single wire SWM setup is the latest and is becoming the normal install. The old one works fine, but not with the HR34 or H25.

Is the latest SWM compatible with the older receivers? Would I have to use both Sat. inputs on the receiver? Thanks!

Is the latest SWM compatible with the older receivers? Would I have to use both Sat. inputs on the receiver? Thanks!

The SWM set up is compatible back to the HR20's.
If you do go with the SWM, then you only use the one input labeled SWM and make sure to run the Repeat Sat Set Up so you can make sure the new equipment is recognized.

Like this:

Attachments

• SWMDECA[8].jpg
    SWMDECA[8].jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 157
The SWM set up is compatible back to the HR20's.
If you do go with the SWM, then you only use the one input labeled SWM and make sure to run the Repeat Sat Set Up so you can make sure the new equipment is recognized.

HR20-100 has some additional hoops to jump through.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts