Installing OTA with DVR 625-Help

dchay

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
I'm relatively new to this so thanks for your help.

I am using a single DVR-625 in dual mode for 2 tv's in separate rooms. I would like to install an OTA antenna (Channel Master 4228) in my attic so that both tv's can access the antenna signal. Initially, I had planned to simply connect the antenna to the antenna input on the 625 but then only the primary tv can access the antenna signal and only when the receiver is powered off--correct? What is the best way to connect it so that I can view it from both tv's as easily as possible? Presently I don't have any switches installed. I had thought about using a splitter (2 GHz) or A/B switch box? Other ideas or suggestions?

Thank you!

Here is what I did with my 522, which is about the same as a 625.

I split the antenna coming in to 2 feeds, one for TV 1 and one for TV 2.
Plug the antenna into the antenna jack on your 625. TV 1 should now get OTA.

Take the cable coming out from TV 2 and use a "combiner". Basically a splitter backwards. The one I used (and works great) is from Channel Plus model 2512. You need a bi-directional, dc pass through combiner, 50-1000 MHz. which is what this is. Now you should have one cable coming from the output of TV2 that is Sat. going into the combiner, and one cable from your OTA going into the combiner, and one cable to your TV.

Whith this setup, I did not need an A/B switch or anything else. When the sat is off, I get perfect OTA on all the TVs hooked up to the TV 2 line.

I don't have the website, but the box has a 800 #. PM me and I'll be happy to give it to you, or try the web. Any bidirectional dc pass through combiner should work. I think it was about $3. Fred

You will need an inexpensive coax cable splitter, will you be using this ota antenna for digital or just analog tv???

Presently I am using it for analog. However, if I ever upgrade ("maybe" 2-3 years) I'd rather avoid having to change wiring, etc except for changing connections behind the tv.

Take the cable coming out from TV 2 and use a "combiner". Basically a splitter backwards. The one I used (and works great) is from Channel Plus model 2512. You need a bi-directional, dc pass through combiner, 50-1000 MHz. which is what this is. Now you should have one cable coming from the output of TV2 that is Sat. going into the combiner, and one cable from your OTA going into the combiner, and one cable to your TV.

Whith this setup, I did not need an A/B switch or anything else. When the sat is off, I get perfect OTA on all the TVs hooked up to the TV 2 line.

I don't have the website, but the box has a 800 #. PM me and I'll be happy to give it to you, or try the web. Any bidirectional dc pass through combiner should work. I think it was about $3. Fred

Thanks, Fred. I found that device online and I'll pick one up!

No problem, glad you found it. FYI, I use channel 35 to view Dish on TV 2 with this setup. You can go in and set-up what channel you want tv 2 to display on via TV 1 menu. Then just tune in to that channel and your set. Try to find a channel that doesn't get an OTA signal 2 channels either way (EG: in Chicago we get OTA channel 32 and nothing till channel 38, so I use 35). Good luck!

Presently I am using it for analog. However, if I ever upgrade ("maybe" 2-3 years) I'd rather avoid having to change wiring, etc except for changing connections behind the tv.

If you desire to start receiving Digital station in the future you will not need to change wires, just run good RG-6 now.

No problem, glad you found it. FYI, I use channel 35 to view Dish on TV 2 with this setup. You can go in and set-up what channel you want tv 2 to display on via TV 1 menu. Then just tune in to that channel and your set. Try to find a channel that doesn't get an OTA signal 2 channels either way (EG: in Chicago we get OTA channel 32 and nothing till channel 38, so I use 35). Good luck!

Do you mean that I should change the reception channel on tv 2? I think I'm currently on ch 73 (not sure, right now). Is there a reason I should change it?

Ke4est, thanks for the cable advice. I picked up some from Crutchfield along with my antenna: Arista 58-662 RG6 50-ft. RF Coaxial Cable w/F Plugs. Does this seem reasonable?

I'm not sure exactly how your tv's are setup, but the reason I changed my Dish TV 2 to ch.35 was that my OTA channels my TV could receive stopped at channel 68. If you leave your TV 2 output to "cable" or channels higher then 70, you may need to switch your tv from the "antenna" mode to "cable" mode to view channel 73. In order to avoid that, I placed the Dish on a channel that my tv could use without switching to cable mode. Maybe you don't need to do this with your tv. Mine is an older one that only would view the channels above 68 if I switched the mode from "antenna" to "cable".
Either way will work, but this was easier for my folks and younger son to use the Dish. They simply start at any OTA channel and work their way to 35, then they get Dish. No switching from "antenna" to "cable" on the TV menu.

I'm not sure exactly how your tv's are setup, but the reason I changed my Dish TV 2 to ch.35 was that my OTA channels my TV could receive stopped at channel 68. If you leave your TV 2 output to "cable" or channels higher then 70, you may need to switch your tv from the "antenna" mode to "cable" mode to view channel 73. In order to avoid that, I placed the Dish on a channel that my tv could use without switching to cable mode. Maybe you don't need to do this with your tv. Mine is an older one that only would view the channels above 68 if I switched the mode from "antenna" to "cable".
Either way will work, but this was easier for my folks and younger son to use the Dish. They simply start at any OTA channel and work their way to 35, then they get Dish. No switching from "antenna" to "cable" on the TV menu.

Thank you for explaining it. I think that makes sense and sounds reasonable.

I tried installing the ChannelMaster 4228 today and I still couldn't get the distant channels I was hoping for (45 miles or so). I picked up the Terk5 antenna to compare the available closer chanels that I could compromise on to see if the two are comparable. If so, the installation will be a ton simpler since I won't have to deal with running coax behind the wall from the attic to the living room. I thought about using the amp with the CM 4228 but I don't want to spend the money (+-$65) if it isn't going to be much better. I'll let you know how it goes.

I think cable 73 will show up on antenna mode on 22 but you might as well configure the modulator correctly.

UHF 37 is empty most everywhere, when picking channels you have to make sure you don't pick a digital channel, you can't see it on the analog sets but it will interfere with the modulated signal.

With this setup, I did not need an A/B switch or anything else. When the sat is off, I get perfect OTA on all the TVs hooked up to the TV 2 line.

I got everything set up the way you recommended but I'm having a problem. TV1 works fine--when the receiver is off I get the OTA (i.e. channel 8). Unfortunately, TV2 is not receiving any OTA. The satellite is working on tv2 but the OTA is not. I turned off the tv2 tuner and tried my OTA channel 8 but I don't get anything. I'm running it through my vcr (which is set to channel 73) and I tried it with the vcr off, on, on ch 8 (my OTA channel) and on channel 73--all with the same results. The only signal I get is when the dish is on and the tv is on channel 3 with the vcr on 73.

Do you have any other suggestions? What am I missing?