Installing Pole on Platform

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ColRonson

Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Tucson AZ
I currently have a slimline dish. I recently got it installed on one of those non-penetrating platforms held down by cinder blocks. The installer put it out in my patio area in my condo (i live in the second floor) in the only location where i can get a line of sight.

Problem is the platform impedes a fire escape. Therefore, property manager says i can move the platform down below against the wall. Only problem is if i move the existing platform down there, there is a carport in the way that will impede the line of sight.

Installer comes out and suggests installing dish on a pole so it will be raised above the carport and have a LOS to the satellite. Property manager says can't, there are water lines down there.

So my question is, can i just move the platform down below where i originally planned, but solve the line of sight problem by raising the dish on the platform by means of a pole? That way the pole won't be in the ground, but will be supported by the platform. I called DTV and asked, and they said they should be able to do that, but installers usually have different opinions than the customer service reps.

So will DTV do this? They're coming out on monday and ill ask them to. If not, i don't want to keep wasting time and incurring the wrath of my HOA.

You cant attach the dish or the pole to the carport?

From your observations, my guess is your HOA doesnt want the dish and will keep throwing excuses at you.

I currently have a slimline dish. I recently got it installed on one of those non-penetrating platforms held down by cinder blocks. The installer put it out in my patio area in my condo (i live in the second floor) in the only location where i can get a line of sight.

Problem is the platform impedes a fire escape. Therefore, property manager says i can move the platform down below against the wall. Only problem is if i move the existing platform down there, there is a carport in the way that will impede the line of sight.

Installer comes out and suggests installing dish on a pole so it will be raised above the carport and have a LOS to the satellite. Property manager says can't, there are water lines down there.

So my question is, can i just move the platform down below where i originally planned, but solve the line of sight problem by raising the dish on the platform by means of a pole? That way the pole won't be in the ground, but will be supported by the platform. I called DTV and asked, and they said they should be able to do that, but installers usually have different opinions than the customer service reps.

So will DTV do this? They're coming out on monday and ill ask them to. If not, i don't want to keep wasting time and incurring the wrath of my HOA.

Yes, you could do what you were thinking, raising it with a pole, might want to find a way to support the pole though.
IF your gonna try to get it set up, you'll need a 2" OD pole.

As for the water lines issue, all you need to do is contact the locals and have them come out and mark the water lines. Once marked the installer can determine where to place the pole.
Personally, I would look into the pole mount option.

Yes, you could do what you were thinking, raising it with a pole, might want to find a way to support the pole though.
IF your gonna try to get it set up, you'll need a 2" OD pole.

As for the water lines issue, all you need to do is contact the locals and have them come out and mark the water lines. Once marked the installer can determine where to place the pole.
Personally, I would look into the pole mount option.

Well the HOA doesn't want the pole in the ground period, otherwise i'd do that. But what do you mean support the pole? Wouldn't it be supported by the platform held with cinder blocks? I know i could do this myself and get a signal most likely.

What i want to know is will the DTV installer do this? Raising the dish on the existing platform with a pole i mean. They are pretty anal about what installations they can and won't do. Installer wont be here until monday and i dont want to wait that long if all he's going to tell me is no.

Can't put the dish on the carport. The HOA is pretty anal about it and they're afraid if they let me put it on there, other tenants will want to do it, and the carport won't be able to support the weight, which is complete BS. Its too bad, i got their approval on the install date and the property manager was right there. But after conferring a few days later, they're like no, move the platform away from your patio, after you signed your contract with DTV. Pole mounts wont work because i can't screw in anything (which is BS as well).

The problem you'll run into is that the taller the pole, the easier it'll be for wind to blow it over. Its physics. The pole is a lever. You'd need to widen the base or attach the pole to something more stable.

It might be time to acquaint your HOA with the laws associated with this matter. They cant tell you you cant mount a dish, but they can be specific about how and where they want it mounted. So ask them how they want it done and then do it that way.

A 12-15' pole on a tripod with some cement blocks on it is going to blow over.

Another option to present is that the HOA mount a single dish on a pole somewhere with good LOS and out of the way, and that they pay for the dish and a multiple dwelling SWM distribution switch. Then everyone in the complex could work off of the same dish. It'd only cost a few hundred dollars extra, it'd be pretty, and they dont have to go through this with every resident that wants directv.

The problem you'll run into is that the taller the pole, the easier it'll be for wind to blow it over. Its physics. The pole is a lever. You'd need to widen the base or attach the pole to something more stable.

It might be time to acquaint your HOA with the laws associated with this matter. They cant tell you you cant mount a dish, but they can be specific about how and where they want it mounted. So ask them how they want it done and then do it that way.

A 12-15' pole on a tripod with some cement blocks on it is going to blow over.

Another option to present is that the HOA mount a single dish on a pole somewhere with good LOS and out of the way, and that they pay for the dish and a multiple dwelling SWM distribution switch. Then everyone in the complex could work off of the same dish. It'd only cost a few hundred dollars extra, it'd be pretty, and they dont have to go through this with every resident that wants directv.

What laws? I know the FCC laws do not cover common areas such as roofs. Although if you can point me to the laws where it says they can't prohibit me from mounting (even in common areas such as a roof) then i'd be glad to show that to them.

I doubt the pole will be 12-15 feet. At most it will be 6-9 feet, just to aim the dish above the carport to get the satellite LOS. As for the wind problem, more cinder blocks? I seriously doubt there will be that much wind issue seeing the platform will be against the wall.

Its a pretty muddy area, but they have to let you install the dish on any area that is part of the residence that you control. If they wont let you do that, I'd think they'd have to give you a reasonable alternative. They can prohibit you from installing in a common area.

Saying 'you can put it here on a pole but cant dig a hole and cant attach the pole to anything' sounds kind of ridiculous. Its going to be pretty ugly. If you could just attach the pole to something, it'd look a lot better.

I figured your carport would be at least 10-12' from ground to peak. Sounds like you're comfortable with how you're planning on installing it. I guess if it falls over you can realign it and add more concrete blocks.

went over the FCC rules again. As i suspected, the rules against prohibiting the satellite only applies to any area under my exclusive control. Therefore, unfortunately, they have the right to prohibit it anywhere else. But since they're letting me put the platform in a common area, i dont expect any more issues from them.

The carport is about 10 feet high, but it isn't against the building. Installer said he would've dug a 6 foot pole into the ground and it would've been enough to acquire a LOS. Here's what it looks like:

scaled.php

The orange cone marks the location where i want to put the platform. If the dish is too close to the ground, the carport will block the LOS to the satellite. Thats why the satellite has to be raised.
Doesn't have to go over the carport, just high enough to look past it.

Im still just wondering if the DTV installer will have any problem mounting the pole to the platform? Any DTV installers here want to shine any light on that? The customer service rep on the phone said they could do it, but i doubt they know the rules the installers have to go by. If the installer says no, then i would just do it myself, but i want to know now instead of waiting until monday.

Well the HOA doesn't want the pole in the ground period, otherwise i'd do that. But what do you mean support the pole? Wouldn't it be supported by the platform held with cinder blocks? I know i could do this myself and get a signal most likely.

What i want to know is will the DTV installer do this? Raising the dish on the existing platform with a pole i mean. They are pretty anal about what installations they can and won't do. Installer wont be here until monday and i dont want to wait that long if all he's going to tell me is no.

Can't put the dish on the carport. The HOA is pretty anal about it and they're afraid if they let me put it on there, other tenants will want to do it, and the carport won't be able to support the weight, which is complete BS. Its too bad, i got their approval on the install date and the property manager was right there. But after conferring a few days later, they're like no, move the platform away from your patio, after you signed your contract with DTV. Pole mounts wont work because i can't screw in anything (which is BS as well).

Thats why you always want it in writing !

went over the FCC rules again. As i suspected, the rules against prohibiting the satellite only applies to any area under my exclusive control. Therefore, unfortunately, they have the right to prohibit it anywhere else. But since they're letting me put the platform in a common area, i dont expect any more issues from them.

The carport is about 10 feet high, but it isn't against the building. Installer said he would've dug a 6 foot pole into the ground and it would've been enough to acquire a LOS. Here's what it looks like:

scaled.php

The orange cone marks the location where i want to put the platform. If the dish is too close to the ground, the carport will block the LOS to the satellite. Thats why the satellite has to be raised.
Doesn't have to go over the carport, just high enough to look past it.

Im still just wondering if the DTV installer will have any problem mounting the pole to the platform? Any DTV installers here want to shine any light on that? The customer service rep on the phone said they could do it, but i doubt they know the rules the installers have to go by. If the installer says no, then i would just do it myself, but i want to know now instead of waiting until monday.

While I'm sure an installer could mount it the way your wanting, they would probably be against it because they have to have the rig set up to last 6 months - without getting gigged on it.
If you have an issue with the set up after the guy is gone, it's his butt. Seeing it's not solid.

Whats at the peak of the carport ? you can't run the pole up the middle of the carport and attach it at the top where the roofs meet ?

While I'm sure an installer could mount it the way your wanting, they would probably be against it because they have to have the rig set up to last 6 months - without getting gigged on it.
If you have an issue with the set up after the guy is gone, it's his butt. Seeing it's not solid.

Whats at the peak of the carport ? you can't run the pole up the middle of the carport and attach it at the top where the roofs meet ?

The carport is just a large piece of sheet metal held up by 3 pillars spaced out in between. There's nothing on the side to run a pole up. There's no openings to run a pole up in the middle either.

Alternate Question: When the original tech came in to install the dish, i told him to put it on a tripod. He would't, says the slimline doesn't work on a tripod. However, i see slimline tripods on sale online?? Is this legit? Because if the tech won't do the pole extension for the platform, i might just move the dish to a tripod.

Last edited:
The carport is just a large piece of sheet metal held up by 3 pillars spaced out in between. There's nothing on the side to run a pole up. There's no openings to run a pole up in the middle either.

Alternate Question: When the original tech came in to install the dish, i told him to put it on a tripod. He would't, says the slimline doesn't work on a tripod. However, i see slimline tripods on sale online?? Is this legit? Because if the tech won't do the pole extension for the platform, i might just move the dish to a tripod.

A lot of the tripods your seeing are ones that campers are using ....

Yes, a Tripod will work, they are once again concerned about stability and being knocked over or bumped out of alignment.

A lot of the tripods your seeing are ones that campers are using ....

Yes, a Tripod will work, they are once again concerned about stability and being knocked over or bumped out of alignment.

A regular tripod will have to be fabricated to fit the bigger mast for the Slimline, I do it when I have to per apt. regulations...Also a non penetrating roof mount would be an option, I don't put a non pen on the ground, but I see a lot of them around Memphis in apt complexes..I don't understand the not putting a tripod there because it doesn't work..You got a run of the mill installer, some guys just know what they are told....

A regular tripod will have to be fabricated to fit the bigger mast for the Slimline, I do it when I have to per apt. regulations...Also a non penetrating roof mount would be an option, I don't put a non pen on the ground, but I see a lot of them around Memphis in apt complexes..I don't understand the not putting a tripod there because it doesn't work..You got a run of the mill installer, some guys just know what they are told....

Or you can look for the ones that come that way.

i know a regular tripod wont work. the installer probably isn't allowed to use the 2 inch diameter "heavy duty" tripods or they dont have them. I see they sell 2inch to 1.6inch adapters for the slimline to fit a regular tripod as well. As for securing, ill just use the cinder blocks i have to hold it down and move it when the HOA complains. But this is only if the DTV installer refuses the pole installation on the platform.

An I been behind some fabricated b.s. that works until it gets moved and the guy who did it is no where to be found.
Why would you modify the tripod designed for phase 1 or phase 3 odu's when they sale tripods designed for the KaKu odu. Charge the sub for the proper equipment not make some crap up that good until it a problem.

i know a regular tripod wont work. the installer probably isn't allowed to use the 2 inch diameter "heavy duty" tripods or they dont have them. I see they sell 2inch to 1.6inch adapters for the slimline to fit a regular tripod as well. As for securing, ill just use the cinder blocks i have to hold it down and move it when the HOA complains. But this is only if the DTV installer refuses the pole installation on the platform.

you might as well buy the correct equipment you need to do the job and not depend on guy whose paycheck will suffer if the experiment failed. Would you risk your own paycheck for something that possibly come back to bite you in the a...?

you might as well buy the correct equipment you need to do the job and not depend on guy whose paycheck will suffer if the experiment failed. Would you risk your own paycheck for something that possibly come back to bite you in the a...?

Do you have any links that show a tripod that fits a 2" post ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.