Installing Satellite Internet

tvaiden

Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
Texas
Im a pc/network tech and recently I pondered becoming a hughesnet installer/dealer. I have had to troubleshoot these systems for clients and repoint dishes, etc. I was wondering if I would have to get certification or if I should and how, and if it would really be worth looking into. Any advice would be appreciated on what steps I should take, because I think the service is good, and dsl and cable broadband are hardly available in the sticks around Texas where I live.

Im a pc/network tech and recently I pondered becoming a hughesnet installer/dealer. I have had to troubleshoot these systems for clients and repoint dishes, etc. I was wondering if I would have to get certification or if I should and how, and if it would really be worth looking into. Any advice would be appreciated on what steps I should take, because I think the service is good, and dsl and cable broadband are hardly available in the sticks around Texas where I live.

Hughes requires you to be certified to install their systems or have a certified installer working for you doing the installations. It would probably be worth looking into since their is no Internet that is available where you are located or only in certain areas. A good bit of satellite installation experience would be a major plus though! I know a lot of good installers who have problems Installing these systems from time to time and that is after years of Installation experience!

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info on the certification. I do need resources on getting the cert. I found some online courses, but the hands on test was in Virginia to actually get the cert, so I am going to have to go another route for sure. So Im assuming that pointing the dish is where the trouble arises here, as far as the setup on the PC end it is simple stuff from a computer tech standpoint. There are many Satellite companies around the area here in east Texas, but the pay to work ratio isnt up to my expectations, and Im tempted to say these guys are installing the occasional hughesnet system without certification, but maybe one guy in the company has it. My main interest is in adding to and building my pc support business.

Yeah, the computer shop in the closest town (pop ~3000) sells/installs satellite internet. But it's such a low volume business, I'm bettin' they don't do but 2-3 in a month. As a potential installer without prior experience, you're already at an advantage: no bad habits. What I've encountered far to regularly are the career satellite TV installers who've tried to add satellite internet to their resume. Way too many of them don't adapt well to a system that involves a transmitter. A lot of them think they know enough where they should be exempt from the certification process. Others get certified, then promptly ignore the training - reverting to their long established TV dish installation techniques. Cheap dealers send one guy to certification training, then give that number to all their installers - without bothering to give the training that goes along with it.

Assuming that you're above this type of activity - AND that you have a potential customer base within economical driving distance - you're can likely make a success of it. Just as in your PC work, the best jobs are the ones you never have to go back and fix.

//greg//

Yeah, the computer shop in the closest town (pop ~3000) sells/installs satellite internet. But it's such a low volume business, I'm bettin' they don't do but 2-3 in a month. As a potential installer without prior experience, you're already at an advantage: no bad habits. What I've encountered far to regularly are the career satellite TV installers who've tried to add satellite internet to their resume. Way too many of them don't adapt well to a system that involves a transmitter. A lot of them think they know enough where they should be exempt from the certification process. Others get certified, then promptly ignore the training - reverting to their long established TV dish installation techniques. Cheap dealers send one guy to certification training, then give that number to all their installers - without bothering to give the training that goes along with it.

Assuming that you're above this type of activity - AND that you have a potential customer base within economical driving distance - you're can likely make a success of it. Just as in your PC work, the best jobs are the ones you never have to go back and fix.

//greg//

I would have to go with grohgreg on this post there are way to many installers that don't know what they are doing to be installing these systems. I'm not sure who the distributor is in your area you need to check out P-10. If your not sure PM me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts