Installing Slimline LNB 3, moved locations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satnewbe

Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Jacksonville
I am haveing problems setting up my directv dish after I moved from one zip code to another, 32219 to 32205. I purchased a birdog usb plus 4.0, an ALS-1. I have the system setup identical to my previous install. I have researched aligning the dish which is a slimline LNB 3 SWM, but only can find info for aligning an LNB 5 SWM. I get readings only in the 80's and nothing on my receiver, what am I doing wrong or not doing? What is dithering? Any would be appreciated, want to be able to take my Directv HD camping.

Are these the settings you are using??
Address: 32205
Latitude: 40.8100°
Longitude: -73.9620°
Satellite: DirecTV SL3 (99W, 101W, 103W)
Elevation: 35.3°
Azimuth (true): 218.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 231.1
Dish Skew [?]: 62.2°
arrow-r.png

If its not showing up on receiver setup screen I think you are aimed @ wrong sat
Try moving 10º left or right
Don

That would explain alot. Do I need to use the ANL-1, while setting the ruff settings on the dish? Also do I need to dither settings and if so how do I do that? Thank You in advance for your help.

Read this link
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/Slimline_Dish_Installation_Manual.pdf
Not really much to it after you get roughed in. Instructions the same for Sl3 as the SL5 but don't use 110 or 119 sats- if u have skew set they are right there in a peaked 101 setting as they are so close together
Yes use the ANL-1 with swm lnb

Don
Ps afterthought --You do have the power inserter installed??

Last edited:
Yes, I have the power inserter installed.
Let's see if I have this right, Start wiith making ruff settings on the dish. Next set my birdog 4.0 usb plus to the 101 Sat and align Azim. for strongest signal. Then turn Elev. counter clockwise two turns, record reading, then count number of turns clockwise, until you reach the reading recorded earlier (subtract two turns and divide by two). Azim. adjustment, contect ALN-1 to the 119 SAT, turn Azim.adjustment three turns counter clockwise, record reading, then count number of turns clockwise, record your reading, turn the adjustment clockwise, counting the number of turns, until you get the reading previously recorded. You should have readings all in the 90+ range if done correctly.
I hope this is correct. Thanks in advance.

:welcome to Satelliteguys satnewbe!

The distance you moved is so short that you probably don't need to change any of the settings on the dish. Most important is that the mast is plumb. Assuming it is, make sure you are pointing (azimuth) it correctly. You should get signal strengths close enough to make final adjustments by dithering. You shouldn't need a separate meter, the one in the receiver/dvr will suffice.

I am having a simular problem in my setup also. I have set my dish alignment with an older lnb that has a b band converter as recommended on this page for easier aligning. After recieving 95 + signals on 101, 119, 103, 99, i swapped out lnb to a new swm 3, removed b-converter, added power inserter, 4 way swm splitter, hooked up as described and I get 771 error code, search for signal. My accutrac 22 shows 88 through receiver port on the swm but no signal on tv. Any help with suggestions appreciated.

:welcome to Satelliteguys andya612!

I'm not familiar with that meter, so I'll let the installers chime in on that. Do you get any signal strength numbers on any of the satellites? I'm guessing that you moved the azimuth or elevation slightly without realizing it. If you push slightly on the back of the dish does that change the numbers at all? Try pushing on all four "corners", top, bottom and both ends.

I am having a simular problem in my setup also. I have set my dish alignment with an older lnb that has a b band converter as recommended on this page for easier aligning. After recieving 95 + signals on 101, 119, 103, 99, i swapped out lnb to a new swm 3, removed b-converter, added power inserter, 4 way swm splitter, hooked up as described and I get 771 error code, search for signal. My accutrac 22 shows 88 through receiver port on the swm but no signal on tv. Any help with suggestions appreciated.

Your problem is you need to rerun satellite setup. Hit menu-settings-settings-satellite-repeat satellite setup and then follow the prompts. If you have everything hooked up correctly it'll detect the SWM system and covert over and start acquiring the guide, if its not hooked up it won't detect it and you need to check all your connections

If he didn't move the dish at all, shouldn't it automatically detect the swm setup? That's why I asked about his signal strengths.

If he didn't move the dish at all, shouldn't it automatically detect the swm setup? That's why I asked about his signal strengths.

I was talking about the other newb that jumped in the thread. He was previously using a slimline with a bbc to peak the dish so now it needs switched back over to SWM

I meant him, too.

Gotcha, the receiver has to be setup for whatever LNB is being used so if he used the SL3 to peak it in then he needs to switch it back over to SWM. If not it'll just search. I've seen receivers still work when not set up correctly but it's a rarity

He said it was on a legacy lnb and had good signal strength. Then he put the swm lnb on but couldn't get a picture.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)