Intel NUC experiences?

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
Does anyone have experience with the Intel NUC line of systems? Could be perfect as a hypervisor with a few VMs for certification testing practice.

Thanks for any experiences you can share.

I use a couple of the older i5 models as HTPC. Ive been quite happy with them.

Steven:

Thanks -- the low heat is important. We recently downsized houses and the server I use for learning is just not cutting it any more ;)

Have you looked at the HP MicroServers? They are a pretty decent value and would give you some expandability.

Steven:

I haven't. I'm not particularly enamored with HP machines. But I will check it out. Key thing here is $$$$.

I'll be reusing SSDs and once I pass the certs I will probably use it to replace the raspberry pi. I'm sure I can repurpose the pi for something else.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how many VMs a NUC could host. We were looking at the NUC for Executive desktops with the VESA mount to provide an All-in-1 look without the all-your-eggs-in-one-basket costs of one.

Foxbat:

These are just test beds for certification testing and experimenting with some newer options like CoreOS. Not for anything resembling massive virtualization -- I don't require lots of cycles and I don't require gobs of RAM.

I ended up with a can't beat the price dual socket quad core XEON Dell workstation for this.

When it's done I can make it into a hackintosh Mac Pro workstation.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)