Intel reportedly close to offering al a carte TV

What would stop local channels from being made available via the internet?They would be able to get the income direct instead of going through a middle man.imo it would be a good business move for them.They could tell who is in the dma by ip address.

Affiliate agreements with the networks, and without the networks the locals have no worthwhile, current programming.

I don't see ANY naysayers here, just some with their heads not in the clouds. It is VERY unlikely the programmers would allow this to happen. That's the reality.
No clouds here. Yes, it is currently unlikely today. The reality must change, unless too many keep their defeatist attitudes and continue to chop off their foot to feed the current system.

I really think that it will eventually come to this. Maybe not this year or next, but how much longer can we keep absorbing these price increases. $1 or $2 a year increase, I could take, but when they start $5 and $10 a month, that starts to hurt after 3 or 4 years of it.

agreed. in the past few months, internet service and cell has gone up. now sat, and we have not changed anything. if prices keep increasing, we will scale back.

sadly, it will be a long time before providers make any real changes though.

No clouds here. Yes, it is currently unlikely today. The reality must change, unless too many keep their defeatist attitudes and continue to chop off their foot to feed the current system.

We as consumers could start by dropping down at least one level in our packages. It is drastic to ask everyone to completely cut the cord, but dropping down to a package that costs less would leave the networks with lower ratings, and the providers with less $$$. Of course the few of us that would actually do it wouldn't put a dent in the problem, but maybe if they keep raising the prices, we could see this start to happen. I know just from reading the Dish price increase post, that it sounds like a lot of people might be dropping the everything pack.

In my opinion the people posting on this forum are preaching to the wrong congregation.

Most of the posters here are heavy TV users. Look at the people that complain 3, 6 or more tuners are not enough. That a 2TB drive limits their recording. That they need 3 or more HD TVs connected. That use both SlingBoxes and Rokus

IMHO the people that are going to drop CATV or Satellite are going to be light viewers where OTA is more than enough and perhaps they will fill in with a little streaming video. If they live in an urban area and get 20 - 30 OTA channels why pay for more. Light viewers are going to do the math and calculate their cost per hour viewed and determine its not worth it. TV addicts like drug addicts will pay until they run out of money and heaven forbid if they are also addicted to sports.

We as consumers could start by dropping down at least one level in our packages. It is drastic to ask everyone to completely cut the cord, but dropping down to a package that costs less would leave the networks with lower ratings, and the providers with less $$$. Of course the few of us that would actually do it wouldn't put a dent in the problem, but maybe if they keep raising the prices, we could see this start to happen. I know just from reading the Dish price increase post, that it sounds like a lot of people might be dropping the everything pack.
I never said anything about everyone cutting the cord. Maybe that's where the "head in the clouds" comment came from. I said some might, but saying "no" is as simple as dropping to a lower package level. I'm also not advocating a "petition" to get people to do it, either. It will occur naturally as prices continue to skyrocket. The tipping point is getting closer. Providers and networks will have to adjust to the loss of revenue.

Affiliate agreements with the networks, and without the networks the locals have no worthwhile, current programming.

I see what your saying but...lemme give ya a for instance.Say I missed a show on ABC,I go to their web site to catch a replay,load it up and guess what?My local WSOC logo is in the lower corner.I have also seen this with hulu.I know they don't want to change the current model because they are making money hand over fist but,they will wait too long and miss out on a pretty lucrative opportunity if they don't jump in on the streaming.They are already facing big hurdles when it comes to advertising.Looks like having a direct local broadcast available with ads would just make logical sense.

I see what your saying but...lemme give ya a for instance.Say I missed a show on ABC,I go to their web site to catch a replay,load it up and guess what?My local WSOC logo is in the lower corner.I have also seen this with hulu.I know they don't want to change the current model because they are making money hand over fist but,they will wait too long and miss out on a pretty lucrative opportunity if they don't jump in on the streaming.They are already facing big hurdles when it comes to advertising.Looks like having a direct local broadcast available with ads would just make logical sense.

I could live with ads on TV if there were around the Hulu level... Having 1/3 of TV time commercials is just too many and forces me to use technology to skip them. Especially if the commercials show were targeted to me specifically and were of products that I might actually be interested in.

As someone already posted: DATACAPS. I've come across MORE than a few articles from those who have greatly reduced or eliminated MVPD's from their mix and now report the HORROR of DATACAPS, and how they are punished--service severely throttled or cut off--or kindly offered to upgrade to the Business Tier by their ISP's that have much higher or unlimited caps. These folks were already paying $50-$60 for their current high width broadband service to accomodate, in one case, just he and his roommate who are both young and prefer the streaming services, but also wrote about families with just a few kids and one is gonna hit a data cap in no time, now they are told to spend at least $80 for the Business Tier (some business plans from different ISP's are MORE) just to be a "Cord Cutter." Remember, data caps also count for UPSTREAM, meaning that the use of a Slingbox or other such TV anywhere technology requiring your upstream counts towards the total data cap. The writers have related how utterly uncooperative and somewhat absolutist when dealing with customers who've hit the data cap, unless they want to spend the really big bucks for the Business Tier. They got us coming and going.

Indeed a lot have complained to the FCC that the data caps are nothing more than cable companies trying to protect their cable TV business.

I remember the satellite companies saying rates were rising due to piracy but look, they are rising anyways.
With the younger generation being more of a cord cutter eventually that population will rise causing television subscriptions to drop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The companies that control multiple channels will be hit the most as users continue to scale back their subscriptions. They will have to reluctantly change their business model.

If I could get my locals via internet, my Dish would come down mighty fast. Between Netflix and Amazon Prime, there's plenty to watch.

Just get a Mohu Leaf for your TV . This will pull in your local channels. I have ordered the latest one that will pull in channels from a 50 mile radius. I also ordered the stand for it . It is an indoor antenna. Has excellent ratings It is on the way. My contract ends with Directv ends on January 26 and I am going to cancel my account. Use the indoor antenna for locals and Netflix and Amazon for other programs. A lot cheaper than paying $84.98 a month and more with the increase in February. I have had enough.

Check out the Leaf here.

http://store.gomohu.com/the-leaf-ultimate-hdtv-antenna.html

Just get a Mohu Leaf for your TV . This will pull in your local channels. I have ordered the latest one that will pull in channels from a 50 mile radius. I also ordered the stand for it . It is an indoor antenna. Has excellent ratings It is on the way. My contract ends with Directv will end on January 26 and I am going to cancel my account. Use the indoor antenna for locals and Netflix and Amazon for other programs. A lot cheaper than paying $84.98 a month and more with the increase in February. I have had enough.

Check out the Leaf here.

http://store.gomohu.com/the-leaf-ultimate-hdtv-antenna.html

dahenny like myself is further away than 50 miles.Plus we have a lot of tall peaks to deal with.Mohu leaf definitely wouldn't work very well here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts