Interactivity to Spearhead Universal's 2007 HD DVD Assault

CochiseGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Cochise County, Arizona
Universal Studios Home Entertainment is betting that interactivity will boost HD DVD in the next-gen battle against Blu-ray, with the studio planning to release three major titles in 2007 with web-connected features.

Currently, no studio supporting HD DVD has taken advantage of the Ethernet capabilities found on all Toshiba first- and second-gen HD DVD players. That is due to change by year's end, when Universal will unveil three, as-yet-untitled releases to take advantage of the format's web connectivity. The news came courtesy of Kevin Collins, Microsoft director of HD DVD evangelism, who outlined the studio's plans to Video Business. "We are still scratching the surface of what we are capable of doing, but Universal is leading the format in terms of exploring all the different aspects that are out there now," said Collins. "By the holidays, there will be a lot more features."

To date, Blu-ray titles have featured relatively little interactivity, as its BD-Java technology is still being tweaked for implementation on future titles.Universal will continue to promote existing HDi-based interactivity on two key upcoming HD DVD titles, 'Children of Men,' due March 20, and 'Smokin' Aces,' which streets April 17. The studio promises features even more advanced than those seen on earlier HDi-enabled hits like last September's 'The Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift.'

On 'Children of Men,' viewers get a chance to see the film’s featured video billboard advertisements in their entirety. The HD DVD will allow users to click on each of the approximately ten billboards and watch the complete ads.

'Smokin' Aces' will integrate Google Earth to identify specific locations of assassins during the film.

- from HighDefDigest.com

Some cool new features to look forward to in HD DVD releases. :cool:

While not my favorite HD DVD, F&F Tokyo Drift interactivity was pretty impressive.

I can't wait for the Grindhouse HD DVD, although the intentional film grain they added might screw with things if you go by the trailers....

Who gets the rights to the older Tarentino films? Did the rights to Kill Bill come over with them, or does Disney own it? Anyone know?

I can't wait for the Grindhouse HD DVD, although the intentional film grain they added might screw with things if you go by the trailers....

Who gets the rights to the older Tarentino films? Did the rights to Kill Bill come over with them, or does Disney own it? Anyone know?

Plot summary for
Grindhouse (2007)
(from IMDB.com)

An homage to exploitation B-movie thrillers that combines two feature-length segments into one double-bill designed to replicate the grind house theatergoing experience of the 70s and 80s. In "Death Proof," a psycho named Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russell) stalks and kills beautiful women with his car. In "Planet Terror," a small-town sheriffs' department has to deal with an outbreak of murderous, infected people called "sickos." The two films will be fused together by fake movie trailers.

I haven't seen the trailers; I'm on WildBlue Satellite internet & need to watch my bandwidth. :eek:
But it could be those trailers "fusing the two films together" are intentionally stylized with a lot of grain.

It looks like Miramax (Disney) kept the rights to Kill Bill 1 & 2, so they probably won't come to HD DVD anytime soon, except possibly as an import. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)