Interested in Canadian TV

Bill_KY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Northern Kentucky
I am interested in getting Canadian TV, I have several questions.

What is the least expensive of the Canadian services, (minimum required programming)?

Can I pay a year in advance for programming?

For equipment outlay (dish and receiver (s) ), which is least expensive?

Should I get the receiver from a broker or can I get one on E-bay?

Broker recommendations?

I just want minimal, the least expensive service I can get with the least amount of outlay.

Thanks

It depends on where you live in the US> I know SD(Shsw Direct) is available throught out the US(signal wise), BTV on the other had depending on where you live(not exactly sure of the BTV Sat coverage)but I know the further south you go the less chance of picking up certain Transponders from 82, not sure about 91?

Both basic packaes for BTV & SD are around $35 I believe.
As for receivers depending on what you want
BTV basic SD receiver $99 CAN
SD PVR $?? not sure
HD $200 Can I think
HD PVR $400(I think don't recall)

As for SD I'm not sure of the Receiver prices.

Not livinhg in the US I'm not sure of Brokrers or how US guys get their Can receivers?

Sorry couldn't be more help

I am interested in getting Canadian TV, I have several questions.
I guess the first question is the reason you want it. I ask because Bell's HD service the footprint doesnt work the farther south from Canada you go

What is the least expensive of the Canadian services, (minimum required programming)?
both have a basic package which is about 35 bucks before taxes

Can I pay a year in advance for programming?
no. You pay monthly and have to do it via a cc

For equipment outlay (dish and receiver (s) ), which is least expensive?
about the same. Bell uses Dish equipment so if you can get your hands on a Dish 500 etc that covers that. Starchoice uses KU so you need a 30" dish

Should I get the receiver from a broker or can I get one on E-bay?
I'd buy it directly from a company. Used receivers most brokers wont activate

forgot the fine print

ALL NEW STAR CHOICE CUSTOMERS MUST SUBSCRIBE TO ESSENTIALS OR HIGHER LEVEL PACKAGE FOR THE FIRST 12 MONTHS OF SERVICE

Good catch! I'm with essentials to be able to add the Sports pack to get TSN2 HD & SportsNet feeds -- was thinking about dropping down to the Lite package after the 09-10 hockey season but I guess I'll have to wait a year on having that option.

yep. I had that package back when you could get it right away and it was a great package for hockey fans with CBC & TSN (this was before TSN2). They've added some things to it like the HD channels (back when I had it it was just the SD channels).

Thanks for the answers, I live right near Cincinnati (on the KY side ). Is that too far South for BEV?

I see Bev has some kind of promotion with a $18 a month plan for the digital basic...but then they mention something about needing a valid photo ID. The regular price is $33 without the promotion ...which is still a bit less expensive than Shaw.

This thing about Bev needing a photo ID, I guess that would not apply if going through a broker? I see they offer installation...but that isn't required..is it?

So I could just order Bev or Shaw from any store in Canada...have the receiver and dish shipped here then contact a broker?

Thanks for the answers, I live right near Cincinnati (on the KY side ). Is that too far South for BEV?

I see Bev has some kind of promotion with a $18 a month plan for the digital basic...but then they mention something about needing a valid photo ID. The regular price is $33 without the promotion ...which is still a bit less expensive than Shaw.

This thing about Bev needing a photo ID, I guess that would not apply if going through a broker? I see they offer installation...but that isn't required..is it?

So I could just order Bev or Shaw from any store in Canada...have the receiver and dish shipped here then contact a broker?

I pull in Bell on the 91 with just a small 18 inch dish with no problems. As for 82W which carries the HD content I have been forced to move to a 120 cm dish. I did have a 76 cm which became marginal once Bell moved to 8PSK modulation. I then tried a 100 cm which worked better but I still lost some channels at night.

There are reports from Indianapolis of a 90 cm working fine so I expect a 100 cm would be fine for you as you are around 200-300 miles further north than me.

Bottom line if you just want the SD content, you won't need the big dish and the standard Bell dish will be fine for coverage of 91W.

I pull in Bell on the 91 with just a small 18 inch dish with no problems. As for 82W which carries the HD content I have been forced to move to a 120 cm dish. I did have a 76 cm which became marginal once Bell moved to 8PSK modulation. I then tried a 100 cm which worked better but I still lost some channels at night.

There are reports from Indianapolis of a 90 cm working fine so I expect a 100 cm would be fine for you as you are around 200-300 miles further north than me.

Bottom line if you just want the SD content, you won't need the big dish and the standard Bell dish will be fine for coverage of 91W.

SD will be fine, I don't even have HD with my Direct TV (the only HD is from my OTA locals)...

I don't want to put a whole lot into this. I have a extra Direct TV dish (or two) lying around that I could probably use (Bell uses the same type of LNB...right? ). I guess then I just need a receiver and a broker...

I looked at KuSat, a receiver is $91 U.S. but it is only for existing customers...the next one is for the same price with a dish...but then they talk about eligibility ....then this....something about a contract.....

Very Important Information: ** If you are uncertain about your elligibility to purchase a Bell ExpressVu!™ system, please contact us right now! Bell ExpressVu!™ systems can NOT be shipped COD or Paypal. Once you place an order for your Bell ExpressVu!™ system, we will contact you to obtain a signed contract commiting you to Bell ExpressVu!™'s terms and policies.

Last edited:
SD will be fine, I don't even have HD with my Direct TV (the only HD is from my OTA locals)...

I don't want to put a whole lot into this. I have a extra Direct TV dish (or two) lying around that I could probably use (Bell uses the same type of LNB...right? ). I guess then I just need a receiver and a broker...

I looked at KuSat, a receiver is $91 U.S. but it is only for existing customers...the next one is for the same price with a dish...but then they talk about eligibility ....then this....something about a contract.....

Very Important Information: ** If you are uncertain about your elligibility to purchase a Bell ExpressVu!™ system, please contact us right now! Bell ExpressVu!™ systems can NOT be shipped COD or Paypal. Once you place an order for your Bell ExpressVu!™ system, we will contact you to obtain a signed contract commiting you to Bell ExpressVu!™'s terms and policies.

I have sent you a personal message.

Sounds like cost is your main concern, and, as such, I may not be of very much help.

But if you want to minimize your hassles and reduce the likelihood of running into problems with the satellite provider, I would recommend Star Choice (now Shaw Direct) over Bell, as they are less unfriendly to southern subscribers than Bell.

I belive it has been requested that URL's not be posted on the forum, so I'll suggest you Google up "Global Communications The Canadian Solution". This should get you to Global's website. Contact them by phone or e-mail. Although they have removed some of the information regarding Canadian TV from their web site, these people are honest and reliable, and they will recommend a broker who is also known to be reliable. You can order the equipment and choose your programming, from Global and they will work with the broker such that your receiver will arrive at your door pre-activated so that you will not have to phone the provider to get the receiver activated. You will be responsible for installing and pointing your dish, but this would be the case no matter who you use, as no Canadian provider will do an installation in the US. You may want to consider Global's suggestion about using a generic dish in place of the standard Star Choice dish because replacement parts (LNB's) are more readily available in the States.

In light of the fact that you do not want HD, the baisc receivers (DSR 219 or DSR319) are very trouble-free. I have had a legacy DSR-315 for three years and it has worked flawlessly.

Your Star Choice bill would paid monthly, billed directly to your credit card; request paperless billing. The broker will set this up for you and will require your first year's broker fee in advance, and then they will also bill your credit card once a year for their service of having provided you with a Canadian address. Avoid brokers who want you to let them pay your bill to the satellite provider. If they neglect to make your payment, problems will result.

Send me a pm if you have further questions

I concur with joshuals. I worked with Global COmmunications for my set up and everything has gone smoothly for the year that Ive had my StarChoice (Shaw Direct). Mike and Laurel Kohl (the owners) are very honest and helpful.

Last edited:
Good catch! I'm with essentials to be able to add the Sports pack to get TSN2 HD & SportsNet feeds -- was thinking about dropping down to the Lite package after the 09-10 hockey season but I guess I'll have to wait a year on having that option.

just noticed on the Shaw Direct site, Digital lite IS an option now to sign up for or possibly change to

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 144
I am also interested in Starchoice. I am a Canadian expat living in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area. I have a Dish 1000 on the roof. Any way I can put a starchoice LNB on the Dish 1000? Shipping for the Starchoice 75E is expensive...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)