Interesting advisor survey

rcwilcox

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
Just got my April advisor survey. In it they are asking opinions on several channels they are apparently considering adding to SA.

Animal Planet
TCM
Hallmark
Discovery
History
Southern Entertainment TV (3channel group)

I personally would love the Hallmark Channel as I have the top 120 but no Hallmark

Anyway something is happening. The Southern Entertainment thing is intersting because that is not on Dish so SA can't simply resell it as they possibly could the others which means where would they put those channels?

Southern Entertainment TV (or The SET) has a decent web site here:
http://www.theset.net/index.htm

These are music video channels.
The SET is Southern Gospel Music
The SET 2 is Bluegrass (christian) Music
The SET 3 is Classic Black Gospel

Broadband users can sample all three channels on the seb site. There are also audio streams available.

See ya
Tony

SET seems like a pointless channel, they already have Gospel Music Television on Skyangel. If they are going to waste bandwidth for another southern gospel music channel that shows the same concerts and stuff (which is what ive seen of set, they dont show nothing but recorded southern gospel concerts) they should add JCTV ( us young adults and Teens have less programming on skyangel than anyone)

bandwidth

Tony:

Where do you think SA would get the bandwidth for these? Would they a transponder back from E* or be allowed to sell E* channels? If they add SET the whole group, that would be 3 channels. Where would that bandwidth come from?

rcwilcox said:
Just got my April advisor survey. In it they are asking opinions on several channels they are apparently considering adding to SA.

Animal Planet
TCM
Hallmark
Discovery
History
Southern Entertainment TV (3channel group)

I would really like to see them add at least one news channel to this new package, and I've e-mailed them to tell them so. Also, PBS Kids would be a good addition for the younger ones.

I have been told by a relatively reliable source (though not 100%) that part of the E*/SA* suit settlement includes Dish allowing the use of another transponder. At the same time Dish will mirror some channels to 61.5 allowing Sky Angel to sell them to their subscribers. Of course the procedes of these channels go to Dish, Directly to Dish. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

This all now hinges on the acquisition of the Voom assets.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
I have been told by a relatively reliable source (though not 100%) that part of the E*/SA* suit settlement includes Dish allowing the use of another transponder. At the same time Dish will mirror some channels to 61.5 allowing Sky Angel to sell them to their subscribers. Of course the procedes of these channels go to Dish, Directly to Dish. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

See ya
Tony
Interesting !!! that makes sense thanks! What about the SET programming that is not up there now so would that/those be SA channels possibly replacing INSP?

BabaLouie said:
I would really like to see them add at least one news channel to this new package, and I've e-mailed them to tell them so. Also, PBS Kids would be a good addition for the younger ones.

That/those may be in the package for all I know it may be they were asking the opinion of the advisors only on those channels they are not sure about.

I hope that this package does not cost very much. I wonder if this package would be available to those that do not have Sky Angel (although probably have a $5 fee without Sky Angel).

Stargazer said:
I hope that this package does not cost very much. I wonder if this package would be available to those that do not have Sky Angel (although probably have a $5 fee without Sky Angel).
My guess is $12-$18 or so and will include channels not yet mentioned and only for SA subs as this would cause turmoil with E* subs downgrading to this package

I wonder if those of us with the lifetime membership will get the new channels for free or if SA will market the new channels as something other than the "basic" service?

That's a good question but I am guessing no in that I think that they will have those channels in a package beyond the current SA basic package.

new package

rjc3895 said:
I wonder if those of us with the lifetime membership will get the new channels for free or if SA will market the new channels as something other than the "basic" service?

If those new channels are really going to be E* programs mirrored at 61.5 then E* won't prvide them for free. SA site says "Sky Angel is currently in talks with a channel that we hope to add sometime in April on channel 9718". I wonder if that will be SET?

Nope

TNGTony said:

See ya
Tony

Actually, I'm "nearly sure" this isnt' the case. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)