Interesting Article on Cable Companies

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
In the following New York Times article, it states some very interesting price and viewing trends that are occurring with cable companies. I am positing it because as a Dish customer, this shows me that by Black Friday and Christmas with all the HD televisions that will be selling (knock on wood), how great will it be for Dish considering they will have an HD only package that will greatly appeal to customers who want to reduce their cable bill!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/24/technology/24cable.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=cable&st=nyt&oref=slogin

I have a DISH NOW/YA system. It was actually meant/created for people with BAD or NO credit history. And people with no SS numbers(and there are wuite a few).

And IMHO, I think "this" is what most people would want from their cable/satellite experience.

The ability to control EVERYTHING.

The satellite/cable companies have somehow "trained" people, like you would a dog, that TV is a NEED(especially anything beyond OTA stations), and not a LUXURY, which it actually is.

The Dish NOW/YA setup has put the customer in complete control of what they watch, when they watch it it, and how much they pay for it.

I am watching the first game of the Stanley cup FINALS tonight on VS. for about $1.95. This is for two days worth of watching AT250.

How/Why?

Because Dish NOW/YA allows me to do that with the Green Dot Moneypak. I am in complete control.

I will watch the Kelly Pavlik middleweight Title fight on HBO for about $.75 cents for 2 days worth of signup on the Dish NOW/YA system.

Again, I am in complete control.

Now there are drawbacks to this system in it's CURRENT form:

1. Only available on refurbished 3900's of DP301's which is meant for only 1 room.
2. No local channels available since all you give Dish is a zip code(easily fixed with an antenna, and you get the digital/HD signals for FREE if you have either a SDTV or HDTV)
3. No RSN(Regional Sports Network) available. This is the KILLER for most people since they have got to have there local teams.
4. No PPV or HD. Again, this is probably a big deal for most people.

I would LOVE to talk to Charlie, and ask him if there are any advancements with this setup.

Many of which could EASILY be addressed:

1. Refurbished 322's for a 2 room setup.
2. Ability to subscribe to more packages like the SUPERSTATION package, or the RSN national package, and adding PPV capabilites by selling cards SPECIFICALLY MEANT for PPV prepaid purchase.
3. Refurbished 211's or 222's and making them Dish NOW/YA available at the 61.5 satellite for "A LA CARTE HD ONLY" package availabity(this would be SUPER SWEET).

But I think number 3 is a long shot, with number 1 being just as big a LONG SHOT because if word REALLY got out that you could do what I describe, and the availabilty of HD or 2 room availabity was alllowed, most people would get out of their contracts and move to the prepaid/A la carte way to view tv. It would probably really hurt them(Dish) financially.

But those with the dish service could still get a DP301 and add it to their cuurent setup, and use it as a "supplement" to their programming.

It is a really good system for those who want TV/channels, when they actually WANT THEM, and not be forced to pay MONTHLY for a bunch of programmming they don't watch at all.

Great way to have TV. On YOUR TERMS, not theirs.

Could you post more details about how you use the Dish Now/Ya system to achieve this? I have to admit it may not be for everyone but does sound interesting.

Thanks for the link. This is really a fantastic idea. I mostly have Dish Network as a hobby, so it's not necessary to keep a package on my account continuously.
Per Day Costs:
Dish Family = 67c/day
AT100 = $1.11/day
Cinemax, Showtime OR Starz = 43c/day
HBO = 50c/day
Dish Latino = 95c/day
(Per day costs calculated using PDF at http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/our_products/prepaid/dish_now_rates.pdf )

Fixed Costs:
DishNOW/YA! receiver = $??
Green Dot Money Pack Card = $24.95+ (for $20 usable value over 90 days)

The only better deal is perhaps Penny Cinemax.
I wish I could add prepaid to an existing account, though, because if I could simply "deposit" money with Dish and then spend it for these packages on a daily basis, I would probably end up giving Dish more money than I do now. Will I subscribe to HBO for $14.99 a month? Probably not. But what if I could just click on any HBO channel in the guide and an on screen pop up invited me to add the HBO package for 24 hours for only 50 cents? I could then decide whether HBO really had anything worthwhile on before spending the money.

I think this could even be better than a la carte.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)