Interesting Commercial in West Michigan this Evening...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GNASH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Between Kalamazoo & GR. MI
Hi all,

So there I am getting ready to watch the Red Wings beat the Penguins for the Stanley Cup when a commercial comes on. I don't think much of it when it starts.

It is talking about a programming dispute that Comcast and our local NBC Affiliate (WOOD TV) are having over carriage. Seems Wood want Comcast to pay more than Comcast wants (sound similar to someone else when know who's initials are C. E.???). Anyways, the interesting part to me was the tag line of the commercial. It was a plug to Comcast subscribers offering them $50 if they switch from Comcast to Dish Network.

Just thought others would be interested,
Geoff

Ha! Maybe somebody at Dish figured out how to do an effective ad. It's likely the exact same $50 credit on the first bill that any new Dish subscriber can get.

not just W. Michigan

Hi, I thought I would add my two cents to this thread. Yesterday while watching our channel 8 here in Northeast CT there was a crawl across the screen that said that Charter Communications would no longer be carrying Channel 8 (WTNH) and channel 9 (WCTX MYTV 9) as of July 1st. If we cared to continue to receive these channel to subscribe to Dish and get a $50 rebate. For more info we were to go to WTNH.com. I have dish so I was just curious but apparently according to said website. LIN tv the owners of these stations as well as some others including channel 22 in Springfield MA are having trouble with negotiations with Charter. According to them Charter is charging customers for the stations in their basic pkgs and not paying LIN tv and they would like to be paid. Supposedly it would be @ 1 penny a day per customer. But Charter said no. This is my understanding of this situation. So the contract runs out June 30th and I guess Charter will stop transmission of these stations July 1st. This is a local CT ABC station. However in this area, Charter also provides Channel 5 ABC out of Boston. As for MYTV 9 , nothing. Maybe they will settle the dispute. I think I read that it affects 12 stations around the country. Some ABC some NBC some misc.

Hi, I thought I would add my two cents to this thread. Yesterday while watching our channel 8 here in Northeast CT there was a crawl across the screen that said that Charter Communications would no longer be carrying Channel 8 (WTNH) and channel 9 (WCTX MYTV 9) as of July 1st. If we cared to continue to receive these channel to subscribe to Dish and get a $50 rebate. For more info we were to go to WTNH.com. I have dish so I was just curious but apparently according to said website. LIN tv the owners of these stations as well as some others including channel 22 in Springfield MA are having trouble with negotiations with Charter. According to them Charter is charging customers for the stations in their basic pkgs and not paying LIN tv and they would like to be paid. Supposedly it would be @ 1 penny a day per customer. But Charter said no. This is my understanding of this situation. So the contract runs out June 30th and I guess Charter will stop transmission of these stations July 1st. This is a local CT ABC station. However in this area, Charter also provides Channel 5 ABC out of Boston. As for MYTV 9 , nothing. Maybe they will settle the dispute. I think I read that it affects 12 stations around the country. Some ABC some NBC some misc.
It appears that WOOD-TV 8 is part of this same dispute with Lin TV and Charter. Here is a link to the story on Wood's Website:

WOODTV.com & WOOD TV8: Grand Rapids news, weather, sports and video | WOOD TV8 may discontinue for Charter Cable subscribers

Geoff

Lin has the same trouble with DirecTV over their HD channel carriage. The common denominator here is Lin. Keep your carrier and tell the LiN station you'll watch other channels.

When Charlie has disputes like this with local stations he usually discounts locals in affected markets by $1 per missing major network station. I would be willing to bet Charter won't offer their subscribers anything when WOOD disappears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)