Interesting discovery regarding HD Homerun devices

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I was getting ready to watch a movie on my Sony Blu-Ray player and noticed that my HD Homerun device showed up as a network device. I hadn't noticed this before, so I clicked through the menus and discovered that the blu-ray player can stream the TV stations tuned by the HD Homerun.

This might be useful to those who don't have an antenna feed near a secondary TV in their house, but have a networked Sony blu-ray player.

I'm attaching some screenshots.

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG

This actually already came in useful today at work. Our maintenance man bought a 55-inch Vizio Smartcast 4k TV on a Black Friday special in November, not realizing it didn’t have a TV tuner. We went to tune in a newscast earlier today and realized it has no coax input. Well, it just so happens there is a Sony Blu-ray player connected to this TV, so we clicked over to the media server, found an HD Homerun tuner, and boom. The “tuner free” TV now has a tuner :biggrin

7A198F58-6A0F-429F-A689-2625B7B3746D.jpeg

Reactions: Ironmagz
You need 3 things: an OTA antenna, a Sony blu ray player, and the HD Homerun. Then it should work on any TV that has an HDMI input for the bly ray player

Should work with any streaming device that has DLNA, no? I don't have a Home Run but my LG Blue Ray Player can stream via DLNA. Also, my TV can stream via DLNA directly. For instance it can see my files, movies etc directly from my computer and open or play them via DLNA. Wouldn't it be able to stream from the Home Run too?
(As an aside it streams 4K HDR via DLNA also from my computer to the TV)

Reactions: primestar31
My hdhomerun dual doesn't show up in the smartshare dlna section on my LG tv

You may have to enable DLNA or allow that specific use. There is no enable on my Samsung to use DLNA but there is on my older LG.

You may have to enable DLNA or allow that specific use. There is no enable on my Samsung to use DLNA but there is on my older LG.

Ill have a look again here in a moment. I don't remember enabling anything. My Plex server and my NAS just showed up there. It's not something I use a lot, so I may have missed something

Reactions: Tampa8
Ill have a look again here in a moment. I don't remember enabling anything. My Plex server and my NAS just showed up there. It's not something I use a lot, so I may have missed something

I can't think of why if a blue ray player can see the Home Run that a TV that can see other DLNA enabled devices would not see that one too.

I can't think of why if a blue ray player can see the Home Run that a TV that can see other DLNA enabled devices would not see that one too.

Well, checked both LG's one running web os 3.0 and the other running web os 3.5. HD Homerun doesnt show up on either one. Plex and Netgear NAS shows up on both. There is nothing to enable or disable, just a refresh button.

Its probably something with the LG as they have never worked well with the Netgear NAS either. I'll have to hook up one of my old wdtv's and see if they see the hd homerun. I think that is the only other thing I have that supports DLNA at this house.

Well, checked both LG's one running web os 3.0 and the other running web os 3.5. HD Homerun doesnt show up on either one. Plex and Netgear NAS shows up on both. There is nothing to enable or disable, just a refresh button.

Its probably something with the LG as they have never worked well with the Netgear NAS either. I'll have to hook up one of my old wdtv's and see if they see the hd homerun. I think that is the only other thing I have that supports DLNA at this house.

Is the HD Homerun on the same subnet as your TV's? That's one limitation of the HDHR devices. They have to be on the same subnet.

I'm not where my LG TV is, but in the general settings menu you could allow or not allow DLNA. Yours may not have that.

I'm not where my LG TV is, but in the general settings menu you could allow or not allow DLNA. Yours may not have that.

I don't see anything. These are both 2016 and 2017 LG 4K tvs with Web OS3 and 3.5.

I'll have to remember to take the HD Homerun with me and check the older 2015 LG 1080p at the lake when I'm out there. I seem to remember something in the menu on that older one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)