Interesting discovery

btharner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
We are having quite a windy day here and this morning I heard this loud bang. I go outside and discover a DirectTV dish hanging from my back roof. Apparently a previous owner or tenant never bothered to have it removed and I had no clue it was up there because I don't have a good view of that section of the roof from the ground. All the same, this dish is dangling and putting small dents in my siding not to mention ripping off a part of my waterspouting because the genius who put it up wrapped the wiring around the spouting. I was able to get the ladder and unscrew the big round part that was putting the dents in my siding (did I mention I fell off the ladder once when it sank into some soft ground). The irony about this is that I spent the last two days at the home of family members, both of whom are DirectTV customers and I saw a promo lauding their wonderful customer service. I decided to put that to the test. I called, was put on hold longer than any call I've made to Dish, and was told that the dish was the property of the previous owner and his responsibility and they don't send people out to retrieve the dishes when a customer discontinues service (this was what I suspected, but I had to play out all scenarios). After that, I can honestly say there is no way I would ever leave Dish anytime soon and go to the competition. Thank you for letting me vent.

Last edited:
To be fair if it would have been a Dish Network Dish left up there and you called Dish they would have told you the same thing unfortunately. :(

sad part is that the dish installer should have removed it when your "Dish" was put up, as aDirect installer I regularly remove Dish-es and throw then in the company scrap pile.
I hope you wheren't hurt but I'm glad you got to experiance first hand the dangers we endure every day. Tip your satellite installer!

I do appreciate (even more so now) what installers face, it not a job that I could do. That's why I'm holding off on switching to HD in the spring so nobody has to go up and replace the dish until the weather gets better.

sad part is that the dish installer should have removed it when your "Dish" was put up, as aDirect installer I regularly remove Dish-es and throw then in the company scrap pile.
I hope you wheren't hurt but I'm glad you got to experiance first hand the dangers we endure every day. Tip your satellite installer!

Actually I think that a Dish installer will only replace a DirecTV antenna when he is going to mount a Dish dish in it's place. My installer used my old DirectTV mast and gave me the antenna/LNB part to dispose of.

No provider (Dish or Directv) is going to send someone out to a customers home if they do not have an active account.

The way they figure it, it costs them money to send someone out, and the only reason why they would send someone out is to keep you as an active happy subscriber. With no active account, why should they pay a technician for a service call.

As far as the DISH Network installer removing the Directv Dish or vice versa, there is no real incentive for the installer to do this. I used to do this for customers as a courtesy, but then ofcourse I had to have a few customers complain about us taking it down, and then you got the liability of being responcible for the holes if they end up leaking.

As far as the company wanting the Dishes back, it actually costs more to send out a technician to remove it, than it does to leave it on the customers roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)