Interesting Mark Cuban/NFL article/rumor

steve615

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jan 6, 2006
TN
I just read this article on FOX Sports site a few minutes ago.It talks about the possibility (rumor) of Cuban being an NFL team owner in L.A. I know it may sound like a strange notion,but,if you read the article,it does sound like an interesting proposition.Here is the link to the article. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5714172

steve615 said:
I just read this article on FOX Sports site a few minutes ago.It talks about the possibility (rumor) of Cuban being an NFL team owner in L.A. I know it may sound like a strange notion,but,if you read the article,it does sound like an interesting proposition.Here is the link to the article. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5714172

Interesting, he's been rumored to be interested in buying the Cubs if they go up on the market anytime soon and or his home town Pirates.
Those were the latest rumors I had heard.... in the last week or so.
How many teams can you / are you allowed to own ?

Jimbo

I don't know that there is any legality about owning multiple teams, even in the same sport/league. There may be league rules about such a thing but it would vary from sport to sport. Nascar guys own multiple teams, as do indy folk and other racing people. The dolans have/had multiple teams, etc...

I'd love to see Mark Cuban buy the cubs...

Most leagues have Conflict of Interest rules about it. But no there is no law that specifically addresses the issue.

MLB does not allow ownership of multiple teams. The NHL, NBA and NFL do not either. But four NHL teams (out of six) were once controlled by two families, and the owner of the Yankees once held a mortgage on Fenway park. Most sports have learned from experience.

But MLS and some other sports that are just coming into their own view it differently. Heck MLS once had one owner----as did the old XFL.

:shh There is another heavy rumor circulating in Chicago that he is VERY interested in buying the Cubbies from the Tribune Company.....and they are listening......

Great, next season you'll see dirk up in the booth butchering "take me out to the ballgame" like every other celebrity in the world...

salsadancer7 said:
:shh There is another heavy rumor circulating in Chicago that he is VERY interested in buying the Cubbies from the Tribune Company.....and they are listening......

Does Chicago really want Mr Whine running out onto the field crying? I can see Mr Ego nw out on the pitchers mound before every game bowing to the audience to gain attention. :rolleyes:

salsadancer7 said:

Thats waht I have heard, that would be awesome for Cubbie fans, an owner that would spend money ON THE TEAM !!!

Jimbo

vurbano said:
Does Chicago really want Mr Whine running out onto the field crying? I can see Mr Ego nw out on the pitchers mound before every game bowing to the audience to gain attention. :rolleyes:

I still think it would be a great idea.

I don't think he would be running around on the feild, last owner I saw doing that was Marge Schott, and her wonderful dog.

He basically is no different than Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder.

I would rather have an owner that wanted to win, vs save money, like KC and some others.

Jimbo

I think the marlins are the cheapest team ever, KC just is clueless...

Something about Wrigley Field not being in the playoffs bugs me. I've seen the White Sox win a ring, i've seen the Red Sox win a ring, hell i've seen the indians get to the series and almost win. It's time for baseball to let the cubs win...

If the Cubs would like to win, they need to let K. Wood and M. Prior go and do not put all your ships on two prone injury guys. This has been the problem. It is time to move on.

Purogamer said:
I think the marlins are the cheapest team ever, KC just is clueless...

Something about Wrigley Field not being in the playoffs bugs me. I've seen the White Sox win a ring, i've seen the Red Sox win a ring, hell i've seen the indians get to the series and almost win. It's time for baseball to let the cubs win...

What do you mean by the cheapest as far as the Marlins are concern?

salsadancer7 said:
What do you mean by the cheapest as far as the Marlins are concern?

Well everytime they win the turn around and DISMANTLE the team in an effort to save money.

Dontrelle will be gone by the trade deadline this year...
I suppose he should turn out the lights when he leaves.........:eek:

Jimbo

They are spending about 15 million in total payroll this year, and 5 of that is dontrelle, which is why the trade rumors are so rampant. I think someone else has another 5 of that, which leaves 5 million for the rest of the team. These guys play for pennies...

Purogamer said:
They are spending about 15 million in total payroll this year, and 5 of that is dontrelle, which is why the trade rumors are so rampant. I think someone else has another 5 of that, which leaves 5 million for the rest of the team. These guys play for pennies...

I would imagine the other person is M. Cabrerra. although I did not look up thier salaries.
He's abouut the only other person left that I recognize.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Well everytime they win the turn around and DISMANTLE the team in an effort to save money.

Dontrelle will be gone by the trade deadline this year...
I suppose he should turn out the lights when he leaves.........:eek:

Jimbo

I don't like what they have don either. But any team that has been around for as shorta period of time as they have that has manged to win two world series is doing something right.

BTW her isa link to their 2006 payroll by player. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=fla

Last edited:
Geronimo said:
I don't like what they have don either. But any team that has been around for as shorta period of time as they have that has manged to win two world series is doing something right.

BTW her isa link to their 2006 payroll by player. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=fla

That means you have had great GM's and decient managers....
Gee, I think the Tigers have your great GM and a very decient manager now.

Jimbo

Neither are going anywhere. They are this-><- close of closing out a deal for the new stadium in Hialeah....a city within Miami. After the 1st World Series, Dwayne Heizinga just wanted to make money soon and dismantle, the 2nd time...The ownership, at least I think, treated the city right and invested money on the team eventhough he was losing money hand or fist. The stadium they initially wanted was around 425 million....where he would put in approx. 125 million OF HIS OWN money.
If I am not mistaken, NO OWNER in ANY sport has put that much money into the building of a new stadium. Lauria had no choice but to sell off most to the team this time around. A one point, the city was within 30 million from getting a deal done, but the hispanic element here actually told Sampson, the Vice President of the team, that Lauria "should sell the team to a hispanic ownership group because they would know how to do business with the city of Miami".
But this time, in the sell, the Marlins raided everyones farm system, taken either everyones best or 2nd best players. They are currently playing GREAT baseball, only 10 games under .500....I know that may not be saying much, but there are many teams with higher payrolls that suck WORSE than they do.