Interesting problem just popped up.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MontanaSkins

Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
OK first I have two HD recievers. An old Samsung TS360 and a HR20 HD/DVR. My true locals(I have "moved") only come OTA. My local NBC has 8-1 which is NBC and 8-2 which is a all wheather station.

My old Samsung works fine with both 8-1 and 8-2 coming in. My HR20 has never before picked up 8-2 which not a big deal to me. But starting last Saturday when I tune my HR20 to 8-1 the 8-2 wheather channel is what comes up on the screen.

I have reset my reciever and reset my local settings but to no avail. And when I re-setup my locals the channel 8-2 was still not shown on the set-up. Also my reciever does pick up a 2-1 (CBS) and 2-2 (CW) so I know it can pick up those extra channels.

Hopefully this was too confusing and any tips would be great because I like getting both my local NBC to go along with my distant NBC.

OK first I have two HD recievers. An old Samsung TS360 and a HR20 HD/DVR. My true locals(I have "moved") only come OTA. My local NBC has 8-1 which is NBC and 8-2 which is a all wheather station.

My old Samsung works fine with both 8-1 and 8-2 coming in. My HR20 has never before picked up 8-2 which not a big deal to me. But starting last Saturday when I tune my HR20 to 8-1 the 8-2 wheather channel is what comes up on the screen.

I have reset my reciever and reset my local settings but to no avail. And when I re-setup my locals the channel 8-2 was still not shown on the set-up. Also my reciever does pick up a 2-1 (CBS) and 2-2 (CW) so I know it can pick up those extra channels.

Hopefully this was too confusing and any tips would be great because I like getting both my local NBC to go along with my distant NBC.

The HR20 will only pick up ota channels that it has been told are there. It does not scan for them. It sounds like either the station changed what is on 8-1, or the psip information is not correct.

Ok I know this is rather off topic but since someone brought it up here, on a few other topics here I have seen people say stuff like, "I have 'moved'" or "I have 'moved' multiple times." They always write it like "moved." What exactly does that mean? Clearly you guys aren't just talking about moving from point A to point B.

My take on "moving" or "moved" is that they've changed their ZIP code location so that they get another or different set of local channels. Personally I don't see any advantage but that's for me. I guess if you live some place where there are a number of overlapping or close markets, say the DC to New York area, there are a number of fairly major TV markets all with their own set of major channels. Here in San Antonio I'm not sure I could dial up a Dallas ZIP code in a "move" and gain anything. Maybe, maybe not but I have no interest in that so I'm not even tempted to experiment.

My take on "moving" or "moved" is that they've changed their ZIP code location so that they get another or different set of local channels. Personally I don't see any advantage but that's for me. I guess if you live some place where there are a number of overlapping or close markets, say the DC to New York area, there are a number of fairly major TV markets all with their own set of major channels. Here in San Antonio I'm not sure I could dial up a Dallas ZIP code in a "move" and gain anything. Maybe, maybe not but I have no interest in that so I'm not even tempted to experiment.
:eureka: That idea intrigues me... Anymore info from anyone?

We regularly migrate from the San Antonio area to the Carolinas. We call up DirecTV, say "activate the local channels for our other address," and they do it within a few minutes. No, we can't get San Antonio's KLRN public tv station anymore, and we can't get any of the WUNC public tv stations yet. ...but after we drive to the other house and plug the box in, it updates and we get all the locals stuff.

That's really moving and since you're working with DirecTV that's certainly within your terms of service. I think the other "moving" is in name only and is a work-around to get more or different locals. As to moving back and forth between San Antonio and the Carolinas, that makes perfectly good sense to me. Love the winters here in San Antonio and like warm weather but some place on the ocean or in the mountains for the summer sounds appealing as I just retired this past Friday. Unfortunately the wife still has years to work before she can retire and she probably wouldn't take too kindly to me leaving her here in the summer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)