Intermittent signal loss

gianfri

Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Hi,

I have a 942 HD Dish receiver with a DPP Twin LNBF and Dish 500. In the past several weeks I have experienced intermittent signal losses. The receiver would show the screen “acquiring satellite signal” for about 20 or 30 seconds, usually not moving from step 0 of 5, then go back to show the satellite channel for a few seconds (only with a black screen), then reverse to the acquiring signal screen.

Check switch reports that everything is OK on both tuners and satellites.

“Point dish” screen (Menu => 611) shows signal locked for tuner 1 only if I select a transponder with odd numbers (e.g., 13, 15, etc.), and no lock if I select a transponder with even numbers. On tuner 2, the reverse occurs: lock on even, no lock on odd.

Dish tech support says that an intermittent signal loss like this can only be caused by bad cables or a failure of the receiver, in which case they say I need to replace the receiver. My local technician dropped a new cable from the dish to the separator, replaced the separator and changed the two cables that go from the separator to the receiver’s two tuners. The intermittent signal loss continues.

Before I undertake a major hardware replacement or upgrade I would like the opinion of the tech gurus in this forum as of the accuracy of the diagnosis and fixes recommended. Are there any other possible causes for my problem?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Gianfranco

First of all :welcome to SatelliteGuys.

Next I have run into this a few times, sometimes the receiver is dieing. Try this: un-hook the sat wires on the back and run a check switch. It will say of course a problem has been detected or similar, and may take a few mins because it is not hooked to the sat. dish. Then up-plug the receiver for a few mins, hook back up the sat feeds and then plug it back in. Then re-run a check switch a see if this solves the problem.

Tried that, problem persists.

Is it normal that the lock on each of the two satellites only occurs for odd or even transponder numbers?

Could the LNBF be involved?

Thanks,

Gianfranco

Sounds like the lnb is going out if you are getting only odd or even transponders, but not both.

I thought about that, but then why does the CHECK SWITCH report show that everything is normal on both satellites, both on odd and on even transponders....?

Sounds to me like bad connector somewhere or cable. Check all your connections, make sure they are tight. Check the connectors outside and make sure they're not rusty or wet.

Sounds to me like bad connector somewhere or cable. Check all your connections, make sure they are tight. Check the connectors outside and make sure they're not rusty or wet.

The technician changed the whole cable line going from the dish to the separator. We also replaced the separator and the two short cables that feed the signal from the separator to the two tuners in the receiver. There are no other switches or connectors in my system.

The problem still persists....

The technician changed the whole cable line going from the dish to the separator. We also replaced the separator and the two short cables that feed the signal from the separator to the two tuners in the receiver. There are no other switches or connectors in my system.

The problem still persists....

Then the only thing left is the receiver.