Intermittent signal on sat 129

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rnie69

Original poster
Jan 28, 2023
8000 w 98 ter
I have 722 receivers and a 1000.2 dish. I get sats 110 and 119 fine (signal strength 70) and signal stregth varies on sat 129 from 40-50, and many times goes to 0. I get “weather related signal loss” messages and switching from HD to SD Even though the weather is clear. There are no line of sight obstructions. the receiver switches from HD to SD and i get a good SD picture. I have two 722’s and they both domthe same thing. I’ve unplugged the receivers and rebooted and no change. the dish has been on the roof for 10 years and have had no problems until about a week ago. I did a check switch and sat 129 comes up with a red box with an ‘x’. Sat 110 and 119 have green boxes with ‘ok’. I called dish and they want me to upgrade to hoppers as they said 722 is obsolete. Interesting that i had a 322 which dish replaced with a 222 only a few months ago. If the 722 and 222’s are obsoltet and unsupported, then why didmthey send me a 222 and not force me to uograde to hopper then? I do not want to up grade right now. I requested to just have them send a technician out to check out the dish. I’m thinking either it needs to be re-aligned or maybe an LNB has gone bad. The CSR said that they would only do an upgrade since the 722’s are obsolete. The CSR also said that sat 129 doesn’t support the 722 anymore and thats why you have signal loss. Is this true?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
LNB has gone bad.
This sounds like the most likely cause, specifically the port for 129 (#3) might have gone bad.

The CSR said that they would only do an upgrade since the 722’s are obsolete.
Sounds like a CSR trying to get a sale done. I would call back and try a different person, while the 722 is pretty old it is still in the MPEG4 family, which is still supported.

The CSR also said that sat 129 doesn’t support the 722 anymore and thats why you have signal loss.
Incorrect, even the 322 you had before could support sat 129, it just wouldn’t get any channels from it because they are all in HD. Your 722 as you know handles HD just fine so it is not incompatible.

I have 722 receivers and a 1000.2 dish. I get sats 110 and 119 fine (signal strength 70) and signal stregth varies on sat 129 from 40-50, and many times goes to 0. I get “weather related signal loss” messages and switching from HD to SD Even though the weather is clear. There are no line of sight obstructions. the receiver switches from HD to SD and i get a good SD picture. I have two 722’s and they both domthe same thing. I’ve unplugged the receivers and rebooted and no change. the dish has been on the roof for 10 years and have had no problems until about a week ago. I did a check switch and sat 129 comes up with a red box with an ‘x’. Sat 110 and 119 have green boxes with ‘ok’. I called dish and they want me to upgrade to hoppers as they said 722 is obsolete. Interesting that i had a 322 which dish replaced with a 222 only a few months ago. If the 722 and 222’s are obsoltet and unsupported, then why didmthey send me a 222 and not force me to uograde to hopper then? I do not want to up grade right now. I requested to just have them send a technician out to check out the dish. I’m thinking either it needs to be re-aligned or maybe an LNB has gone bad. The CSR said that they would only do an upgrade since the 722’s are obsolete. The CSR also said that sat 129 doesn’t support the 722 anymore and thats why you have signal loss. Is this true?
VIP receivers have been obsolete for a few years. We'll still service them but not install them as new equipment/accounts. Sounds like either a - your 722 is failing at processing signal, which is not rare for 722's or b - your lnb is going bad

Reactions: charlesrshell
They will replace 722's if you don't want to upgrade and the CSR flat out either lied or is totally ignorant about the 722 being able to receive 129.
Whichever satellite you receive depends on the lnb on the dish not the receiver (assuming it is MPEG 4 which all the vip and above receivers are).

722's haven't been made for over 10 years or more but as long as they are working they are satisfactory.

Off the top of my head your problem sounds like either a faulty lnb on 129 or it needs to be realigned (probably the former).

The advantage of the Hopper line is that they can record more channels simultaneously, the Hopper 3 has 16 satellite tuners, can record all major locals on a single tuner and can have a dual tuner OTA USB added giving it the capability of recording up to 21 channels simultaneously. the H3 can also do streaming via the internet and produces one stream per unit for remote viewing.

If your 722 satisfies your needs I'd just get it replaced with a refurb (no new units for a long time now).

Reactions: charlesrshell
They will replace 722's if you don't want to upgrade and the CSR flat out either lied or is totally ignorant about the 722 being able to receive 129.
Whichever satellite you receive depends on the lnb on the dish not the receiver (assuming it is MPEG 4 which all the vip and above receivers are).

722's haven't been made for over 10 years or more but as long as they are working they are satisfactory.

Off the top of my head your problem sounds like either a faulty lnb on 129 or it needs to be realigned (probably the former).

The advantage of the Hopper line is that they can record more channels simultaneously, the Hopper 3 has 16 satellite tuners, can record all major locals on a single tuner and can have a dual tuner OTA USB added giving it the capability of recording up to 21 channels simultaneously. the H3 can also do streaming via the internet and produces one stream per unit for remote viewing.

If your 722 satisfies your needs I'd just get it replaced with a refurb (no new units for a long time now).
Thanks for the reponse and confirming that the 722’s should still continue to work on sat 129.. I have two 722’s and they both have the same issue with intermittent signal on sat 129, so i’m suspecting the lnb is bad. i will proceed to get the lnb replaced by either ordering an lnb myself or getting thru CSR‘s until i get someone that will dispatch a tech to replace the lnb.

Thanks for the reponse and confirming that the 722’s should still continue to work on sat 129.. I have two 722’s and they both have the same issue with intermittent signal on sat 129, so i’m suspecting the lnb is bad. i will proceed to get the lnb replaced by either ordering an lnb myself or getting thru CSR‘s until i get someone that will dispatch a tech to replace the lnb.
Good plan.

Note that if the dish is still aligned, and only the LNB has gone bad, then you can replace it without getting a tech out to realign the dish.

While bad LNB is the probable culprit, also check the coax ends. Anything outdoor may have had some moisture get in the connector and the center pin has corroded, causing intermittent shorts.
Considering that the issue is only with 129 this is probably not the case but it is good to check anyway.

One other thing. On check switch screen, port 1 shows sat 129, port 2 shows sat 119, port 3 shows sat 110. They’re all green with ‘ok’. Isn’t this order incorrect? I have a 1000.2 dish WA. Shouldnt it be port 1 sat 119, port 2 sat 110, port 3 sat 129? If its incorrect, then that says the problem is dish alignment. Do you agree?

Reactions: HipKat and c-spand
At my last renovation of the our system I couldn't get a 1000.4 and had to stick with a .2, I had my separate 500 dish used to get 129 only. They aimed the .2 at 110/119 ignoring 129.

When they were releasing the 1000.4 dish I was having my install cleaned up from a bad service call from a sub-contractor. A Field Supervisor who tagged along to see what they did. He told me that I will like the .4 far better because it captures the 3 birds better than the .2. I was suppose to get one but it never happened. After the some time passed I called him to find out what was going on and he told me that they weren't rolling them out as much as first noted and that it may take more time.

Since and they have dropped them, I found out from an acquaintance in material, that they weren't going to make them because they cost enough more to affect the profit margins. I can see that. Just a tad, but enough. That's back when Charlie was sucking up Radio Frequencies. So he got his frequencies, that he can't get back from loaning them to Verizon, and we get Rain and Snow Fade. Karma.

P.S.
There was a Spread Sheet on Channel Power off the determining channels. The one I have is probably long since outdated. Is there a new(er) one? Thanks.