International channels on VOOM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yankov

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
I would like to know if VOOM has plans to add international channels as a premium service.
I'm particularly interested in Russian channel - I'm switching to VOOM, but will have to keep Dish Network also, as my wife watching Russian channel NTVA on that all the time and we are paying $20 per month for it. I believe Cablevision delivers Russian channels in some areas. Just curios if anyone heard anything from VOOM people. :confused:

Since those are all SD, I doubt VOOM will be interested in them any time soon. :(

I believe these channels are profitable for Dish, so they will probably be profitable for Voom regardless of the resolution.

It's a different market though. Dish goes after SD customers. VOOM is primarily focused on HD customers. They only add the most important SD channels to compliment their HD offering. They have a very limited capacity now. May be some day down the road after they switch to WMV9 or MPEG4, or after they launch the next satellite...

and i think all russian channels have crappy quality. I don't have it myself, but relatives and friends do, and its horrible (rtv, rtr, ntv and others)...

no room as of now, this will have to wait and no offense, but i think it will be on the bottom of the memebers lists below home and garden.(that may show up soon).and whatever.NO AL-JAZEERA!

I'm sorry, but I hope they never add all the international channels that Dish carries. So much wasted bandwidth in my opinion. I want VOOM to just stay as an HD focused provider. They need to address Sports before they even start addressing the Internationals.

wasch_24 said:
Aren't the Russian news broadcasts the ones where the female anchors do a strip tease while talking about the news?
I think Canada does that too :)

HeavyC said:
I'm sorry, but I hope they never add all the international channels that Dish carries. So much wasted bandwidth in my opinion. I want VOOM to just stay as an HD focused provider. They need to address Sports before they even start addressing the Internationals.
I agree that VOOM should stay HD-focused. And since those International channels are premium channels ($20+) it really doesn't matter who delivers them. You can always get a separate dish and subscribe just to those channels from Dish Network and nothing else... In addition to VOOM, I mean.

Russian channels quality

knyaz said:
and i think all russian channels have crappy quality. I don't have it myself, but relatives and friends do, and its horrible (rtv, rtr, ntv and others)...
I have to disagree with this statement.
I have NTVA (594) and in the past had ORT-Chan 1 ( 595) on Dish Network and picture quality is compattible to American SD channels.

Well, I guess it was your luck with Russian Channels.

I also agree and think that VOOM should be on HD path.

My neighbour who also has VOOM subscribed to 4 or 5 russian channels from some independent russian company, they installed eliptical 3ftx4ft dish for $50 a month, quality is not the best, and most of the time there is nothing to watch, maybe some old nostalgic movies (which are now appearing on NetFlix) and news :)

*praying for EURO2004 on WorldSportHD*

Comparing Russian TV channels in USA

knyaz said:

My neighbour who also has VOOM subscribed to 4 or 5 russian channels from some independent Russian company, they installed eliptical 3ftx4ft dish for $50 a month, quality is not the best, and most of the time there is nothing to watch, maybe some old nostalgic movies (which are now appearing on NetFlix) and news :)

I heard asbout that service of RTR and other channels, and I would not subscribe to it.
I'm using regular Dish Network 18' dish pointed to 148 satellite ( as an alternative it can be pointed to 61.5 satellite which carries same international channels). When I had Ch1Ru ( formerly ORT) it has very good entertaiment programs - Hit parades, concerts, talk shows, Vladimir Pozner show, etc.). As fas as news goes they are very pro-goverment and never criticize Putin's policies. And that is the reason why I had NTVA ( NTV America), the last independent nationwide channel in Russa. They have good news and talk shows ( Namedni (The other day), Segodnya (Today), Svoboda Slova ( Freedom of Speech), Dengi (Money) and much more. As far as entertaiment goes Ch1Ru programs are much better then NTVA's.
There are also two other Russian channels RTVI(592)and RTVI+(593).
These are the channels that were originaly ran by NTV when it was owned by Vladimir Gusinsky. NTV changed hands in the hostile takeover by Gasprom 3 years ago and it is now on channel 594 as NTV America. RTVI and RTVI+ it is still owned by Gusinsky but news programs produced mostly localy by Russian exciles in New York and Israel and one studio in Moscow and overall quality of these channels went down the drain.
Around New Year holidays Ch1Ru has great entertaiment programs, so I will turn it back on in late December.
If I would have to compare these channels I would say that Ch1Ru is the best overall for it's entertaiment and NTVA for it's news programs.

knyaz said:

My neighbour who also has VOOM subscribed to 4 or 5 russian channels from some independent Russian company, they installed eliptical 3ftx4ft dish for $50 a month, quality is not the best, and most of the time there is nothing to watch, maybe some old nostalgic movies (which are now appearing on NetFlix) and news :)

I Heard asbout that service, and I would not subscribe to it.
I'm using regular Dish Network 18' dish pointed to 148 satellite ( as an alternative it can be pointed to 61.5 satellite which carries same international channels). When I had Ch1Ru ( formerly ORT) it has very good entertaiment programs - Hot parades, concerts, talk shows, Vladimir Pozner show, etc.). As fas as news goes they are very pro-goverment and never criticize Putin's policies. And that is the reason why I had NTVA ( NTV America), the last independent nationwide channel in Russa. They have good news and talk shows ( Namedni (The other day), Segodnya (Today), Svoboda Slova ( Freedom of Speech), Dengi (Money) and much more. As far as entertaiment goes Ch1Ru programs are much better then NTVA's.
These are the channels that were originaly ran by NTV when it was owned by Vladimir Gusinsky. NTV changed hands in the hostile takeover by Gasprom 3 years ago and now on channel 594 as NTV America. RTVI and RTVI+ it is still owned by Gusinsky but news programs produced mostly localy by russian exciles in New York and Israel and one studio in Moscow and overall quality of these channels went down the drain.
If I would have to rate these channels I would say that Ch1Ru is the best overall for it's entertaiment and NTVA for it's news programs.

knyaz said:

I heard asbout that service that you describing here, and I would not subscribe to it.
I'm using regular Dish Network 18' dish pointed to 148 satellite ( as an alternative it can be pointed to 61.5 satellite which carries same international channels). When I had Ch1Ru ( formerly ORT) it has very good entertaiment programs - Hit parades, concerts, talk shows, Vladimir Pozner show, etc.). As fas as news goes they are very pro-goverment and never criticize Putin's policies. And that is the reason why I had NTVA ( NTV America), the last independent nationwide channel in Russa. They have good news and talk shows ( Namedni (The other day), Segodnya (Today), Svoboda Slova ( Freedom of Speech), Dengi (Money) and much more. As far as entertaiment goes, Ch1Ru programs are much better then NTVA's.
These are the channels that were originaly ran by NTV when it was owned by Vladimir Gusinsky. NTV changed hands in the hostile takeover by Gasprom 3 years ago and now on channel 594 as NTV America. RTVI and RTVI+ it is still owned by Gusinsky but news programs produced mostly localy by Russian exciles in New York and Israel and one studio in Moscow and overall quality of these channels went down the drain.
Ch1Ru has great New Year entertaiment programs in late December - I will add them to my Dish lineup then for a month.
If I would have to compare these channels I would say that Ch1Ru is the best overall for it's entertaiment and NTVA for it's news programs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts