international DirecTV Upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.

l_bones

Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Hi

I currently live in the Bahamas and "legally" pay for all my services through my US address. I know the "legally" technicalities but hey I could do worse.

I would like to upgrade to HD but don't want all the hassle of the service calls etc. I just want to either pick it up or mail it to me and install myself. Is this possible?

Can you tell them to just add HD to your account and purchase the receivers off ebay or used or other?

If I upgrade to HD does that mean all my SD receivers are useless? I only have an HDTV in one room (soon to be two) and the other two SD are fine.

Thanks for any help and advice.

You are able to acquire new receivers, however I would guess that you can't have it shipped to the Bahama's right off. You will also need a new dish that is able to see the 99 and 103 satellites. When you call to activate your receivers, you just need to tell them to activate HD service for 9.99 a month (this can also be done online). SD receivers are still good, I use 2 HD and 1 SD in my house at the moment.

I can have them shipped to my address in the US. I just don't want to have them come by and do a "professional installation".

If you tell them you already have the dish then they won't require a professional installation. You might be better off just buying them at a store like best buy (or having them bought for you or whatever your arrangements are)

Are you using a standard dish down there? There is no multiswitch that will allow you to use 99/103 on separate dishes, so be sure you can get an adequate signal before jumping in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)