Internet connection cause of Joeys looking for Hoppers?

rdinkel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Woodland Park, Colorado
Like many of you, I have been frustrated the last few weeks by random lock-ups with Joeys looking for Hoppers (in my 2H/4J and one HIC system). Problems started with recent software "upgrades." With the system locking up during Olympics, wife really started to complain. Reboots would restore the system for a bit, but problems continued. So I decided to do all I could to isolate the cause in order to come up with a "fix." Well, that fix turned out being disconnecting the Ethernet connection to my home network from the HIC. After removing the Internet connection and rebooting all Hoppers and Joeys, the system has once again become rock-solid stable. Clearly, having Internet access is not as important as a stable system (and happy wife!).

Remember a couple months back when someone found that a Joey could link with a Hopper via Ethernet without MoCA coax connections? Well, my theory of the recent problems is that at times the Joeys were using my home network to communicate, rather than the dedicated MoCA cables. Then whenever the home network (which includes wireless bridges) would glitch or drop out briefly, the Joeys would break connection with the Hoppers. Rebooting would reestablish connections either via home Internet network or MoCA coax. I have left the HIC powered up in my architecture, but without any connection to my home Internet network. So far so good!

Anyone else found this to be the case?

Bob

My experience has been this: Hopper with 2 Joeys
Hopper connected via wireless bridge - Tons of problems with bridging on or off.
Hopper hard wired to router - Frequent problems with bridging on or off.
System connected via HIC - Some problems but the least amount of problems.
No network connection at all - System works perfectly.

Something to look out for. I was having problems with the joeys loosing connections to the hopper. Was intermittent for weeks. Then i discovered that what was really happening was that either due to power loss, my resetting my SOHO router or it otherwise being unplugged, the H/J's would get a duplicate ip when the DHCP lease expired. sometimes the ip was a duplicate located on another device, sometimes two joeys or a joey and the hopper would have the same ip.

I went into my router and set it up to return the same ip address based on mac address everytime. I have not had any problems since. Static ip's would be best but since this is not an option if your router supports this, it is the next best thing.

Something to look out for. I was having problems with the joeys loosing connections to the hopper. Was intermittent for weeks. Then i discovered that what was really happening was that either due to power loss, my resetting my SOHO router or it otherwise being unplugged, the H/J's would get a duplicate ip when the DHCP lease expired. sometimes the ip was a duplicate located on another device, sometimes two joeys or a joey and the hopper would have the same ip.

I went into my router and set it up to return the same ip address based on mac address everytime. I have not had any problems since. Static ip's would be best but since this is not an option if your router supports this, it is the next best thing.

Thanks for your feedback. I ended up doing the same: Assigned IPs based on mac address for both Hoppers and all four Joeys. Had to reboot the router, HIC and every Hopper and Joey after making this change. Has been over a week since, and no glitches at all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts