Internet satellite forums ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckster

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Hey, I enjoy your site here guys. I was just curious if you will be adding a forum for internet satellite services ,or if I am just missing it somwehere? Such new companies as Databahn & Wildblue are supposedly going to be up & running later this year,so ofcourse they will nees to be discussed. :yes

I appreciate any responses & thabks for your time.

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the idea!

At this time we see no need for this type of forum, however when Databahn and WildBlue are about the launch I am sure we will add them. :)

Scott

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 161
I used to be a Direct-Way subber until DSL became available in my area.

I'm sure there are other Direct-Way'ers and Starband'ers out there.

My cousin just asked me 2 days ago what mobile satellite internet services were available for campers. It took me a while to get her the info.

Now that is what I call roughin' it. Camping out with the family. They are out toastin marshmallows and you are in the camper reading email and satelliteguys.us. :D

I use m cell phone and laptop to connect while I am on the road. The amazing part is I can drive down the street and listen to SatelltieGuys Radio (The Broadband stream) with no problems. :D

Got to love technology. :D

What kind of speed and price do you get out of the mobile satellite internet services? What areas can they be picked up at?

What kind of speed and price are DataBahn and WildBlue going to be?

I think your best bet would be like Scott said, get service through a cell phone carrier... when scoping out laptops for when my dreams come true and I finally get one, I saw that Dell offered laptops with Verizon cell phone internet service, modem included when you build the laptop. Unlimited service was like $80/month. Service wherever you can get cell phone coverage.

DataBahn Info

Hello All. in response to some of the questions in regards to dataBahn, I can only point you to the information available to the general public on the dataBahn web site at www.thedatabahn.com . You will find a number of other dataBahn dealers (my colleagues) that have put a few bits of information as well at www.databahn.com and www.newtechconcepts.com .
This should give enough info for now. I cannot give pricing at this time for the mobile equipment however it will be between 30-50% less than the typical DataStorm purchase and install. Monthly service pricing for mobile and stationary is WELL under the current competition which is about $100 for mobile.

Initial Ka band service will be CONUS (Continental USA) and some parts of southern Canada only. Other satellites going up with the next two years will cover Europe, North America and South America. As far as Alaska and Hawaii goes, probably not. They will have to still use DirecWay or expensive satellite phone technology.

AS far as other mobile type internet services, I use the AT&T PC card (on my Mac with new 3rd party software from Germany) all you can eat access for about $79 a month. Of course this only works within metropolitan areas or good cell coverage and your average download speed will be 128Kbps and upload is less that 30Kbps which is very bad if you want to use VoIP or video conference. I would also recommend Verizon service as well which is $79 a month. I am currently looking into T-Mobile PC card as well now since they have a cheaper package for voice and unlimited data which the others do not have. I think I will be switching soon.

Hope this helps

John

Databahn is available

I noticed this forum, and needed to reply. The databahn dish is already available. It is offering exceptional speeds, and current owners notice very little difference between there dish speed vs. there old dsl. Databahn is offering much lower latency then the others and is compatable with VPN (unlike Directway) and does not lower speeds. If you would like more details, contact me at msnowman@accessiblenetworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)