Status
Not open for further replies.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
I am getting an alert from my security program that SatGuys 70.85.58.122 is scanning me with the NMap Xmas Scan; what's up?

Symantec NIS & NAV 2005

Today is the 1st time I have ever seen this alert; about 30 mins ago.

Ok I have investigated this a bit. It appears to be something our firewall is doing, not sure WHY it is doing it though, so I am still looking into it.

The good news is its not a hacker or malicious program trying to get access to your machine.

Again still looking into it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

NP! Thanks, I feel a bit better now. Thought you might want a copy of my log entry.

Details: Intrusion: NMap Xmas Scan.
Intruder: www.satelliteguys.us(70.85.58.122).
Risk Level: Medium.
Source IP address: www.satelliteguys.us(70.85.58.122).
Destination IP address: OFFICE(192.168.0.20).
TCP Source Port: http(80).
TCP Destination Port: 4280.
TCP Header Flags: 0x00000829. These TCP Flags are invalid.

charper1 said:
NP! Thanks, I feel a bit better now. Thought you might want a copy of my log entry.

Details: Intrusion: NMap Xmas Scan.
Intruder: www.satelliteguys.us(70.85.58.122).
Risk Level: Medium.
Source IP address: www.satelliteguys.us(70.85.58.122).
Destination IP address: OFFICE(192.168.0.20).
TCP Source Port: http(80).
TCP Destination Port: 4280.
TCP Header Flags: 0x00000829. These TCP Flags are invalid.
Do you have a timestamp on this log entry, and is your clock sync'd?

Thanks,
LER
Server Weenie.

I run a clock sync every morning from the worldtimeserver so it should be right on.

8:36:23pm (EST) was the logged time.

I have called in LER as you can see above, so far ouor thinking you got a bad packet as it is not normal to get a nmap scan fromo port 80 which is the http port. :)

With your timestamp we can go through the logs and see what if anything it was from the server.

charper1 said:
I run a clock sync every morning from the worldtimeserver so it should be right on.

8:36:23pm (EST) was the logged time.
Thanks. The only thing I see close to that time in our logs:
Jul 16 20:36:22 host kernel: ** IN_UDP DROP ** IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:0f:1f:f8:cf:22:00:11:bb:37:10:ff:08:00 SRC=152.163.159.222 DST=70.85.58.116 LEN=239 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=50 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=9052 DPT=32769 LEN=219
and since your address is NAT'd, I can't be sure if it's related. (I doubt it).

Hope this helps some.

LER

I haven't seen it again, so in the words of NASA, "we just have an unexplained anomaly". I guess its no biggie then, just thought you might want to know. Do you want to know if it happens again?

korsjs said:
don't know if this will help, but i use norton firewall and system works and have NOT had anything funny.
Same here as well, but I'm stuck behind a hotel NAT, so I don't know what
it's dropping/doing for/to me.

Thanks for the confirmation, korsjs.

LER

Hi! This site and Kerio Personal Firewall version 4 is tripping out right now. It claims a dos attack coming from satelliteguys.us

Sounds like a false alarm Deeann (But I am looking into it)

We are behind Tripping Point servers and firewalls which prevents DOS from getting out and in. (Our host (The Planet) does good with this type of stuff) :D

Thanks for letting us know. :)

Everything looks good here. I did a quick scan and found nothing. I am trying to download a demo version of Kerio 4 but its going S L O W, I have only downloaded 146kb of 7.22 MB. So once that finishes (if it finishes :D) I will give it a try. :D

BTW I got this note this morning about our DOS protection, which I don't believe has anything to do with it but just passing it along. :)

Hello,

On Sunday night, July 24, 2005 The Planet will be conducting site-wide network maintenance at the DLLSTX2 and DLLSTX4 data centers for 4 hours, beginning at 11:59PM CDT (GMT-0500) to upgrade firmware code on The Planet's TippingPoint network anti-intrusion system.

Although the work is not expected to affect network availability, it is possible that latency and packet loss may be experienced for very brief periods of time during the upgrade.

Thank you for hosting with us at The Planet.

The Planet Information Security Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)