2FA Security

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
Recently, my account on another forum was accessed and the Admin there recommended I take advantage of the 2FA option that (I didn't know) they have enabled for that site. With this kind've thing becoming more and more of an issue online, have you ever considered adding it here?

Reactions: charlesrshell
What is 2FA Security?
Two-Factor Authentication. It’s sometimes called MFA (Multi-Factor Authentication).

Authentication Factors are:
  • Something you know
  • Something you have
  • Something you are
Your Account Credentials are your Username and Password (“something you know”); 2FA adds “something you have” by calling your phone or sending a text to your cellphone. Depending on the 2FA system, you enter the code texted to you into the logon session.

Other MFA Systems support Google or Microsoft Authenticator apps which are more secure than sending SMS texts to your phone as it is possible to spoof your cellphone number.

Another Factor is “something you are”, also known as Biometrics. Fingerprints, retinal scans, and FaceID would be existing examples of those. Microsoft can require biometrics with its Authenticator to bring all three Factors to prove the person attempting to log in is really you.

I'm guessing "two factor authentication".
That's it. When my account was hacked on the other forum, I would have received a message about it. Instead, the attacker used my profile info to gain access to other online accounts I have.
2FA Specifically generates a key that's attached to your account so it cannot be spoofed

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)