Internet service through DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rugbyqueen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Houston, TX
We are going to be switching to DirecTV and leaving ATT Uverse. That means our internet service, which is with Uverse, may need to be changed. I see on DirecTV's website that they partner with various people to provide high speed internet service and offer a bundling discount. Can anyone tell me how that works? We would prefer not to go with DSL. Thanks.

We are going to be switching to DirecTV and leaving ATT Uverse. That means our internet service, which is with Uverse, may need to be changed. I see on DirecTV's website that they partner with various people to provide high speed internet service and offer a bundling discount. Can anyone tell me how that works? We would prefer not to go with DSL. Thanks.

They have a satellite internet service but that is very slow, slower than DSL. I believe all their other bundle option are DSL though.

Hughes Net is what they offer via satellite, they claim it is high speed, here are some specs pulled from their website.

"HughesNet speeds are based on download speeds of up to 2.0 Mbps for HughesNet Power 200 service, 1.5 Mbps for HughesNet Power 150 service, and 1.0 Mbps for HughesNet Basic service. Actual speeds vary based on the amount of traffic on the Internet, content on a particular Website, or by the overall performance and configuration of your computer. Stated speeds not guaranteed."

I did have HughesNet about 5 years ago and let me tell you that it was a mistake, even though the actual price has come down its no faster then DSL and at times no faster then dial up. I know that Direct will let you bundle AT&T dsl with your satellite but it really only saves you $10 or $12 which is what you will spend if you keep cable internet with no tv package. So I would suggest sticking with cable high speed if its available.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses. I have not liked DSL all that much and prefer high speed internet, which we have now through Uverse. I don't know if I'll stick with them or go to Comcast or someone else. I'm curious about Clear, but haven't looked into it all that much.

Thank you for the responses. I have not liked DSL all that much and prefer high speed internet, which we have now through Uverse. I don't know if I'll stick with them or go to Comcast or someone else. I'm curious about Clear, but haven't looked into it all that much.

I believe Clear is 4G service live you would receive via a smartphone but I don't really know much about it either.

Clear 4G High Speed Internet | 1-800-413-0958 | Clear Internet

I believe Clear is 4G service live you would receive via a smartphone but I don't really know much about it either.

Clear 4G High Speed Internet | 1-800-413-0958 | Clear Internet
Clear offers a home modem. You have to set it up - they just mail it to you. There's also a bundled option to get it "on the go" so you take a USB modem and if you're in a place where Clear internet is available (major cities, mostly), you can get it for free.

If you travel a lot, that option is good. If you just use your internet service at home mostly, it may not be the best.

Sorry, that was way OT.

We are going to be switching to DirecTV and leaving ATT Uverse. That means our internet service, which is with Uverse, may need to be changed.

You could JUST drop the Uverse TV portion, & keep the internet portion, in lieu of switching to cable internet...there are many U-verse subs that are internet-only.

You could JUST drop the Uverse TV portion, & keep the internet portion, in lieu of switching to cable internet...there are many U-verse subs that are internet-only.
Yeah, I'll have to see how that works. The modem for the internet and the TV is the same modem. I don't know if they'd take that one away and give us an internet-only modem or just turn off the TV part.

Hughes Net is what they offer via satellite, they claim it is high speed, here are some specs pulled from their website.
DIRECTV offers satellite Internet service through WildBlue.
DIRECTV Internet offerings said:
DIRECTV delivers high-speed Internet powered by WildBlue™ to any home, virtually anywhere in the country. You don't even need a phone line. For as low as $49.99 a month for 12 months you can keep an "always-on" connection — and download photos and music. This is the best offer you can get on satellite Internet. And it's available only from DIRECTV.

Hughesnet, once closely associated with DIRECTV, is currently being acquired by Echostar.

Yeah, I'll have to see how that works. The modem for the internet and the TV is the same modem. I don't know if they'd take that one away and give us an internet-only modem or just turn off the TV part.

All you do is send the TV setop bo:mad:es) back to AT&T; when you call to disconnect the TV, they should send you return shipping boxes for those pieces of equip.

I doubt its DSL specifically but DSL in your area that you dont like. I can get 12Mbps DSL and I know some that have faster and it is 99.95% bullet-proof. There is nothing wrong with DSL as a service when compared to cable. Just find the best bang for the buck in your area; likely if you don't already have cable; that will be the choice. You can likely find an intro promo with 16Mbps - 20Mbps for about $20 - $30

To the other comment (not by you); HughesNet is NOT DirecTV. Satellite delivered residential internet is total GARBAGE unless you have no other option.

rugbyqueen said:

If you keep the U Verse internet (you CAN do that) call D* and bundle your service with the two. You could have already done that, don't know.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

If you keep the U Verse internet (you CAN do that) call D* and bundle your service with the two. You could have already done that, don't know.

I set up my D* service yesterday but didn't have the time to do the bundling and they told me I could call back today to do that. So I did. The bundling "expert" told me that the only bundling option in my area is AT&T and since I already have it I wasn't eligible for bundling. But then I told him it was Uverse and he said they only bundle with AT&T DSL, not Uverse, so I was eligible for bundling if I want to switch to DSL, as technically I'd be a "new customer." But they don't bundle with Uverse, at least in my area.

I set up my D* service yesterday but didn't have the time to do the bundling and they told me I could call back today to do that. So I did. The bundling "expert" told me that the only bundling option in my area is AT&T and since I already have it I wasn't eligible for bundling. But then I told him it was Uverse and he said they only bundle with AT&T DSL, not Uverse, so I was eligible for bundling if I want to switch to DSL, as technically I'd be a "new customer." But they don't bundle with Uverse, at least in my area.

I'd just keep Uverse Internet,bundle or not. One of the big problems with ATT DSL is that you're restricted to 150GB downloads a month. I may be wrong on the exact figure,but the point is that you are allowed [a lot more] more GB's with Uverse than with DSL.

rugbyqueen said:

Call back, you can bundle D* and Uverse Internet, probably not the TV portion though.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Call back, you can bundle D* and Uverse Internet, probably not the TV portion though.
If you're an existing customer? The guy told me that disqualified me from bundling altogether. That was prior to him understanding that my AT&T was Uverse and not DSL. But he said they didn't offer Uverse at all for bundling purposes. Do I just need to try again and talk to another representative?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)