Internet via DISH

JWC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2005
Does anyone have any information (general or specific) as to Dishs' plans regarding internet service for us unfortunate individuals in rural america w/o cable nor DSL. There are some carriers that offer a scaled down download (100kb for the bottom rung) and this involves installing a different satellite antenna and there is usually about a $300 equipment fee and a $50 per month for the 100Kb speeds).

If Dish Network is going to position itself to offer something similar, perhaps using one of their transponders for the download and offer some other way to get the upload, then that might be a better way, especially if the total cost were less than going with an independent source.

Thanks.

Do NOT overlook wireless!

There's a LOT of them out there. I've gone out on plenty of HNet installs just to find they could throw rocks at one of our towers. They just didn't know (or, more often, were pushed that way by DirecTV).

Satellite is and always will be the last resort due to expense and latency.

I dont know how it is out where you are SS but I have never seen an add for a wireless provider here aside from sprint and verizon to use the cellular wireless card for the laptop.

The cellular card thing speed wise, still sucks most of the time. I suggest you check out www.wildblue.com

They were running promotions for free or nearly free installs, and they are in line pprice wise with DSL. We have numerous remote locations running VPN back to our central office and they have been very reliable in last 6 months or more.

Van said:
I dont know how it is out where you are SS but I have never seen an add for a wireless provider here aside from sprint and verizon to use the cellular wireless card for the laptop.
We have 3 different providers here in Teller County. One covers just Cripple Creek, another just Woodland Park, and then the one I work for which covers the entire county (in fact, a lot of Colorado). No real advertising by any of them.

Last edited:
Where at on the internet is the best place to find out where the wireless internet providers are? A lot of them I try to use tell me hot spots or does not give me the information that I need (does not list them all). I know two people that I think may be able to get a particular service but cannot find the phone number because I lost it. The person I got the number from had their phone disconnected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)