Introduction

Status
Please reply by conversation.

newbie2fta

Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Midwest
Hi I'n new and wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm hoping to get set up with fta and can't find an installer in my area (south suburbs of Chicago, IL), I've checked ftainstall and sathookup and there are no installers in my area. Any help would be appreciated.

I am hoping to get both c and ku channels so I think a 6 foot dish would be the minimum I could purchase and I would like to access as many channels as possible (free channels) so I would appreciate your thoughts on how difficult on a scale of 1 to 10 it would be for a do it yourselfer to this herself IF she can't find an installer. Not really interested in ethnic channels, mostly sports, movies, documentary type channels. Thanks.

Last edited:
We have a member, Dee_Ann, who's been doing it herself.
Seems her ex left lots of equipment behind, so she's got a yard full of some of the best dishes anyone would want. ;)
You might search for some of her threads to see how she's been getting along.

Started out complaining a lot, and swearing she'd never have a big dish in her yard.
Now on vacation, she saw a 10' BUD, and has sent us pictures and questions about harvesting it for her own little dish farm.

Moral of the story: FTA is fun, and it's addictive. - :cool:

I'd start out small and get familiar with the hobby before jumping in with both feet.
Maybe a 36-40 inch Ku dish, standard definition receiver, and later a motor.
Once you have that running, you'll have a much better idea how to tackle all the other facets of the hobby.

And you might get a reality check on the programming available.
Sports will be mostly feeds you'll have to hunt down.
edit: (but here's an easy one that lights up every year this time)
Movies will be older ones, or again more like feeds - intermittent.
edit: (there's an interesting exception for anyone who can receive 30°w, which you should at about 15° elevation)
Programming comes and goes.

Welcome aboard, we look forward to many fun months of discussion of your new system! - :up

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I was thinking a 36 inch dish for the ku but without a motorized system, won' I have to go out often and move the dish for selection, besides when I looked at ku it seemed as though I would only get old movies and sports feeds, that doesn't seem too interesting. I have a DirecTV dish and I was hoping to take that one down and replace it with a 36", use the same cable and HOPEFULLY get something to view, is this an unrealistic notion? I don't have a regular antenna and was hoping to get my viewing via satellite - I live inside town limits so a satellite farm isn't a good idea. Thanks.

local TV:

Well, I went to TVfool.com and put in 60601 for a zip code.
Don't know how close that may be, but it gave me a big list of TV stations, mostly to the North, and to the South West.
We have another forum department (Hi Def TV?) which is a better place to get answers for local TV, but here's what I'd suggest:
- get a digital converter box or a new HD TV
- put up a small outdoor antenna
- maybe two antenna, with a combiner
- enjoy all your local channels and subchannels to start with.

Oh, wait! If TVfool is right, you don't need an outdoor antenna!
Those signals should be peeling the paint off your walls! - :eek:
All the networks should creep into your set, no matter where you live!

Thanks Anole, I didn't know about tvfool, I have a hi def tv bu no antenna, I thought about one of the indoor antennas but didn't think they would work and when I priced getting an outdoor antenna on the roof, I decided that satellite would be the better choice. But I think I'll go try an indoor antenna and see what I get. I'll let you know.

By the way, started reading the Dee_Ann threads and she's my hero. I'm tempted to try a 36" dish just so I can be like Dee_Ann.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)