iOS5 Update on USB?

theoak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
My internet connection is faster at work.

Can I:

1. Install iTunes
2. Download iOS5
3. Copy iOS5 update to USB stick
4. Go home
5. Copy IOS5 update from USB to home computer
6. Install on i4

Does anyone know if this is doable?

Doubtful. But I'd be interested in learning how, if Apple does in fact support it.

I think I got it to work.

My work PC is XP based.

The below directory is where it installs the update:

C:\Documents and Settings\LOGIN\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

The file name is called: iPhone3,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw

After the download, I exited iTunes and deleted the file.

When I started iTunes, it prompted me to download the file again. It put the same file in the same spot with the same size (792,919KB).

I clicked the update button and it said: "Are you sure ... I will delete everything ... bla bla bla"

I stopped it and existed iTunes.

Deleted the file again.

Started iTunes ... again ... iTunes said do you want to download. I said no.

Exited iTunes.

Copied the file back.

Started iTunes.

This time iTunes said ... "Do you want to upgrade?" ... versus asking me to download.

As the prior poster ... this will hopefully save me "5 hours" when I get home.

Edit:

My home PC is Windows 7 ... hopefully I can find the same directory structure ... wish me luck.

Edit 2:

For Windows 7 I have found references to the below location:

Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates​

I have also found the below web site where you can apparently download the update also. Have not tried it though.

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Last edited:
theoak said:
My internet connection is faster at work.

Can I:

1. Install iTunes
2. Download iOS5
3. Copy iOS5 update to USB stick
4. Go home
5. Copy IOS5 update from USB to home computer
6. Install on i4

Does anyone know if this is doable?

I have done it. Been a long time ago. After it's downloaded, it's not verified by Apple until after extraction. Not sayin that it's the same now, but at one time, it was doable.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Well, foolish being that I am, I just started downloading it. It asked me to authorize this computer. I said OK, then it said it was already authorized, and I already had 5 authorized. No I don't.

The update dialog box does not have a time remaining, but seems to be moving along well. The iTunes window, though, says 965 items, 2.5 days, 5.5 GB. :confused:

Seems to have shut down iTunes on it's own while I was out of the room. Still downloading, but not as fast.

Well, it's telling me to restart to finish installing the software, so I guess all is well and it didn't take too long.

My mistake. Didn't read screen. It updated iTunes, did not do iOS5. Which it now wishes to do, after the reboot. Says it'll take over an hour just to do the backup of everything. I'll let it run overnight.

Bouncing between 6 & 7 hours remaining.

navychop said:
My mistake. Didn't read screen. It updated iTunes, did not do iOS5. Which it now wishes to do, after the reboot. Says it'll take over an hour just to do the backup of everything. I'll let it run overnight.

Bouncing between 6 & 7 hours remaining.

gdarwin said:
Yea... I'm trying the download again. Will see what I have in the morning.

Good luck fellas. Sleep tight.......

Yes, what you're describing in the original post, and post 5, will work. Download the file where you have fast internet, from the link on the felixbruns.de site (he links to the official apple files). Then carry the ipsw home with you. Either find that specific place to put it, or hold <shift> when clicking the restore or update button, and browse to wherever it happens to be.

Pepper said:
Yes, what you're describing in the original post, and post 5, will work. Download the file where you have fast internet, from the link on the felixbruns.de site (he links to the official apple files). Then carry the ipsw home with you. Either find that specific place to put it, or hold <shift> when clicking the restore or update button, and browse to wherever it happens to be.

I thought it was option click not shift. Pretty sure of that. Unless they both work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)