iPhone 5S comes with a 64-bit 'A7' chipset - first ever on a smartphone

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Why? What needs 64bit on mobile level? Did they increase ram on phone that I missed? All I can find it a random game and opengl.

That's why they are calling it "perhaps the most forward thinking phone anyone has ever made." You can't use it now, but perhaps later. :p

Maybe the next iPad goes over 2GB? I do not know how they have memory mapped in iOS, what is the practical upper limit for 32bit? For XP it was 3GB, for iOS it could be anywhere between 2 and 4GB.

Maybe the next iPad goes over 2GB? I do not know how they have memory mapped in iOS, what is the practical upper limit for 32bit? For XP it was 3GB, for iOS it could be anywhere between 2 and 4GB.

Haven't delved into the memory architecture of iOS to be honest.

I have been running 64-bit *nix platforms for so long that I haven't had to think about it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

And on a different phone ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Well, the iPhone 5s is to test backward compatibility to the 32-bits apps and such! So when the iPhone 6 comes out, everything will go smoothly. Now THAT's forward thinking! LOL ;)

Well, Apple made the M7 outboard motion processor which I am sure uses less power and also makes sense if Apple has Desktop plans for the A7. Maybe there's a version of Mavericks (a 64-bit OS) running on an A7 in some research lab and if you were building a bespoke processor for a low-power desktop, why burden it with MEMS? Likewise, since OS X is 100% 64-bit, this may be the first step in that direction.

Bragging rights for the first 64-bit phone CPU are just incidental.

If they turn the A7 into a "chromebook like" tablet with a keypad in the next iPad (with a keyboard like MS has for the surface), it could explain the 64 bit hype.

Yes, this is the dress rehersal for desktop computers and tablets competing with the Surface.
Gives 'em a year or so to get the bugs ironed out.
Cant see 64- mattering in a phone...ever! ;)
See my thread over in general phone stuff, mentioning Samsung responding with 64-, too.

Yes, this is the dress rehersal for desktop computers and tablets competing with the Surface.
Gives 'em a year or so to get the bugs ironed out.
Cant see 64- mattering in a phone...ever! ;) ......

It will be used to support 3D holographic video projections, which will lead to the need for 128 bit processors!
SpaceTime, not FaceTime!
;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)