iPhone and the Sling Adaptor...Are we all Beta testers???

jbleser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 4, 2008
WI
Received my little Sling Adaptor the day before Thanksgiving and have been playing with it ever since. It is hooked up to my 722 and my iPhone 3GS. I have the latest OS 4.2.1 on the iPhone and the latest Dish Remote Access App (2.2.71 / 1.0.15). I also have TW Turbo internet wi-fi access as well as AT&T 3G coverage. Is it just me or are other people having lots of problems? When watching LIVE TV I have yet to be able to tune to a different channel. Watching something off the DVR I just keep my fingers crossed and hope it works. Most of the time it doesn't just goes to LIVE TV in which I can never change the channel. I can get the number pad to come up but when I press the channel I want doesn't do anything.

I hope that we were all just a bunch of Beta testers over this Holiday weekend and come this week we will see a update or two to deal with the problems. I told everyone I know that has Dish that this sling adaptor will be so cool, etc. yada, yada, yada and when they asked to see it work on my iPhone all we could do is laugh.

So, if anyone else is experiencing these problems and found a fix that I am missing please let me know.

Stay tuned........

Last edited:
You have to press Enter after the channel number. For OTA channels, you have to use 5 digits, i.e., 4-2 would be 00402 Enter. Works every time.

You have to press Enter after the channel number. For OTA channels, you have to use 5 digits, i.e., 4-2 would be 00402 Enter. Works every time.

Thanks for the info on the OTA channels. I have tried before and tried just now your suggestion ( I would type 193 for Science Channel + enter) no luck. I would also try to go to the GRID and press the show that I would want to watch and I will get the Watch now option then I would press the Watch on iPhone option...then.....nothing.

Seems like at night mostly I have been getting the error code " Connection Failed.....Please try again later ". Both on wi-fi and 3G.

Is it just me or are other people having lots of problems? When watching LIVE TV I have yet to be able to tune to a different channel. Watching something off the DVR I just keep my fingers crossed and hope it works. Most of the time it doesn't just goes to LIVE TV in which I can never change the channel. I can get the number pad to come up but when I press the channel I want doesn't do anything.
Same here. I'm actually happy to see that the iPhone client exhibits some of the same buggy behavior that I see on my Android client. This gives me hope that it's using the same bug-for-bug compatible code base, and that both clients will get fixed sooner rather than later.

I too can't change live channels, either with the swipe commands, or via the virtual keypad. My Samsung Behold 2 has a ring of physical buttons and a Select/Enter button, none of which do anything. I hope (some day) the client will use these physical buttons instead of making me struggle with the virtual keypad. :p

mdavej: The OP and I have a 722 (not k), and normally we cannot watch OTA at all via TV2. I would be delighted if my 722 were updated to allow this, but I suspect that your 5-digit workaround won't help those of us with 722's, not now, or ever.

As for playback of recordings, indeed my Android client does work for satellite recordings. If I select an OTA recording, which is normally viewable just fine via the physical TV2 outputs and the PC client, then my Android client Remote Access app goes to "live" instead. TV1 (if being used) spuriously switches to the recording I selected on the Android app. This bizarre mixup makes me agree that we are beta testers, and the software "logic" is seriously deranged.

Anyone else having problems or success with the Sling adapter and the iPhone (3GS)? and/or with their Mac (having the same problem with my MAC as with my iPhone)?

According to Dish Web-Site the min. system requirements for a MAC to use the Sling Adapter to view is a 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. Damn, I just bought my new Mac Book Pro approx. 3 weeks ago and it is their top of the line and it is only rated at 2.66 Ghz. Hell, Mac doesn't even make a 2.8Ghz processor in a laptop! I must admit though I can get a one LIVE channel on the computer and it looks great in HD just wish I could change the channel or watch the DVR...

Anyway, still can't get the iPhone to work with it anyway and I have the 3GS and my wife has the 4 both with the new 4.2.1 iOS and the latest Dish Remote App.

Did a chat with Dish Tech Support to see if anyone else has been complaining and they told me NO. The rep then said she would fill out a TPR (what ever that is) on my problem and forward it to engineering. Hmmmmmm???

Last edited:
@Jbleser

So what kind of router are you using? How do you have to configured? How is your receiver connected to it?

@TheKrell

Dish will tell you that OTA channels aren't supported by Remote Access. I guess the fact that they are listed at all in our channel grids is a total fluke. :rollseyes

@Jbleser

So what kind of router are you using? How do you have to configured? How is your receiver connected to it?

@TheKrell

Dish will tell you that OTA channels aren't supported by Remote Access. I guess the fact that they are listed at all in our channel grids is a total fluke. :rollseyes

Cable Modem to Mac Airport wireless router (the newer N wireless). The 722 is hard wired to the airport.

hey guys...i just got the 722k on saturday and i just got the sling adapter today....anyone on here using the dish remote access app on the iphone? i'm having issues trying to play back any of my dvr recordings....when i select a recorded show to watch on iphone and it connects all it does is connects me to live tv....no matter what i try to do i can't watch any of my recorded dvr shows on the iphone app....i can watch live tv and dvr shows on the laptop just fine..but for some reason it will only show live tv on the iphone and not recorded shows....anyone run into this type of situation?

According to Dish Web-Site the min. system requirements for a MAC to use the Sling Adapter to view is a 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. Damn, I just bought my new Mac Book Pro approx. 3 weeks ago and it is their top of the line and it is only rated at 2.66 Ghz. Hell, Mac doesn't even make a 2.8Ghz processor in a laptop???

If 15" or bigger it's an i5 so it is faster than core 2

Well, I will admit for some reason my connection from the Sling adapter to my iPhone will connect and I can watch LIVE TV however changing channels is another story. I have yet to be able to change channels on my iphone either by the GRID or typing them in. Sometimes I can watch a recorded DVR event but that is it. I have had NO problem viewing via my laptop and I can change channels watch a DVR event. If I could just figure out what the hell the problem is with the iPhone and my Sling Adapter I would be happy. Tonights project is to try on the iPad.....

Yeah see I can change channels fine. It make take one or two tries. But I absolutely cannot watch any dvr programs on my iPhone. Computer I do fine. Would that be something dish could help me fix or is that more of an iPhone app issue :(

If your laptop is working fine, then that kinda rules out something being wrong with your connection between the router and the receiver. Doesn't the 3GS run much slower with 4.2? Have you made sure to shut completely off any apps that could be running in the background? If your iPad works okay, then I'm thinking it's just your 3GS not having enough system resources to run the app well.

Are you actually able to get OTA channels? I can only get the broadcast ones that Dish supplies, and I'm not too surprised by this since TV2 does not let you directly view OTA stations (you can start recording them and then you are able to view the recording on TV2).

Having the same issue with the Android app. Goes to Live TV no matter what, but I can tune other channels. I thought last week I had watched something on the DVR through the Android DRA app, must have been Live TV instead.

Well, I can only assume that there is an update coming "soon" for the iphone Dish remote access via the sling adapter. I have tried just about everything with no luck.....However, most of the time it (sling adapter) works well with my ipad and laptop via the 722. Just not the iphone. Guess I will jsut sit back and wait for an update or two........

what I find annoying is that since switching from sling classic to the new sling adapter I am seeing reduced functionality with the iPhone app. before I had 5 menu 'buttons' across the top which gave me access to more DVR functions. now I only have 3 and I don't know why this has changed. has anyone else seen this or know why it happens?

Fix for iPhone Dish Anywhere app not working with Sling Adapter and Dish 722 receiver

I just got the sling adapter (use with 722 receiver) and had exactly the same problem you describe on an iphone (3Gs) where it would show the listing of my dvr shows, but only playback live-tv. Here is the fix that worked for me -- needed to have my 722 receiver in dual-mode prior to connecting with the iPhone Dish Anywhere app. Switch the receiver to dual-mode by opening the door panel (front right side) and pushing the "mode button". Note the first push of the mode button didn't quite get it into the right state - so if it doesn't work the first time try once again. The first time it put up a message stating "TV2 is in use and will disconnect" -- which it wasn't and I wasn't connected with TV anywhere and then the next time it worked. Interesting to note that the iPad app and laptop playback worked fine and people report Android app working fine too - just a bug in the iPhone app seems.
Good luck!

Received my little Sling Adaptor the day before Thanksgiving and have been playing with it ever since. It is hooked up to my 722 and my iPhone 3GS. I have the latest OS 4.2.1 on the iPhone and the latest Dish Remote Access App (2.2.71 / 1.0.15). I also have TW Turbo internet wi-fi access as well as AT&T 3G coverage. Is it just me or are other people having lots of problems? When watching LIVE TV I have yet to be able to tune to a different channel. Watching something off the DVR I just keep my fingers crossed and hope it works. Most of the time it doesn't just goes to LIVE TV in which I can never change the channel. I can get the number pad to come up but when I press the channel I want doesn't do anything.

I hope that we were all just a bunch of Beta testers over this Holiday weekend and come this week we will see a update or two to deal with the problems. I told everyone I know that has Dish that this sling adaptor will be so cool, etc. yada, yada, yada and when they asked to see it work on my iPhone all we could do is laugh.

So, if anyone else is experiencing these problems and found a fix that I am missing please let me know.

Stay tuned........

There seems to be a bug with the iPhone/iPad software. Maybe Android as well. If you watch your 722 while you connect your iPhone to Dish Remote you will see it actually switch from single to dual mode, but you will only be able to receive live TV. If as already stated you place the 722 in dual mode manually then it works as expected. This is not the case with a PC or Mac, they seem to work the correct way. Again connect with a notebook while watching the lights change on the receiver. As for MacBook reception, mine is a 3 year old 2.4 gig and it works fine.

This needs to be fixed by Dish Network, its a problem for me since we have two TV's that use both remotes as TV 1 and when in dual mode we cannot control one set with the wireless remote.

Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)